AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The antenna removal and replacement project continues on Sutro Tower in San Francisco. The old analog antennas are being removed and replaced by new permanent antennas for digital operation.

I'm following the progress of the project with lots of photos on the Sutro Tower page on my web site at:

http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html

Larry

SF

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I nearly cried when I saw those (mangled) old antennas lying on the ground.

I guess I'm just sentimental

Have any stations shown an interest in doing a little feature story, maybe following-up on the DTV Transition and highlighting some of the millions of hours of programming and historical events that emanated from those old pieces of copper?

·
Registered
14,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney /forum/post/17011131

The antenna removal and replacement project continues on Sutro Tower in San Francisco. The old analog antennas are being removed and replaced by new permanent antennas for digital operation.

I'm following the progress of the project with lots of photos on the Sutro Tower page on my web site at:

Larry

SF

Great work Larry! Those pictures are priceless.

For those who don't know, the tower was fabricated by Kline Iron and Steel of Columbia, SC (now defunct). I had the honor of going through the factory that fabricated it in 2000 as we were looking for our new tower, since our old tower is also a Kline and the Sutro Tower was featured prominently in HUGE pictures in their lobby as you entered. They were VERY proud (and rightly so) of the Sutro Tower.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/17012497

Great work Larry! Those pictures are priceless.

1+ Great pictures.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/17012372

Have any stations shown an interest in doing a little feature story, maybe following-up on the DTV Transition and highlighting some of the millions of hours of programming and historical events that emanated from those old pieces of copper?

I doubt it. None of the stations here did anything special for the end of their analog broadcasting. A few went to a special PSA telling about the local and FCC numbers to call, then.... snow. Most just turned off the transmitter at 11:59 pm on June 12. I expected more.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/17021677

A different tower but if you can find it on somewhere, check out the episode of World's Toughest Fixes where they replace a 7000 lbs antenna on the top of a 2000ft tower in Sioux Falls, S.D.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../3564/Overview

More pictures of the tower featured in this episode (KDLT): link

NGC reruns it from time to time. While worth the time watching if towers excite one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in midtown Sacramento and for the past week or so I've been getting the SF channels well enough (with a dinky indoor antenna even) that all the SF UHF channels are registering with my TV. KTVU is the only one that's very watchable... I'm getting up to a few minutes straight without dropout tonight. That's about as good as the locals come in most days with this antenna.

Anyway, do you think the Sutro project has anything to do with this or is it just some random atmospheric/other phenomenon? The only other time this has happened was a month or two ago, but that time it only lasted one night. It seems that the best time for reception of SF channels for me is dusk to dawn.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactonortherncal /forum/post/17051678

I'm in midtown Sacramento and for the past week or so I've been getting the SF channels well enough (with a dinky indoor antenna even) that all the SF UHF channels are registering with my TV. KTVU is the only one that's very watchable... I'm getting up to a few minutes straight without dropout tonight. That's about as good as the locals come in most days with this antenna.

Anyway, do you think the Sutro project has anything to do with this or is it just some random atmospheric/other phenomenon? The only other time this has happened was a month or two ago, but that time it only lasted one night. It seems that the best time for reception of SF channels for me is dusk to dawn.

More then likely just ducting.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Just happened to stumble upon this thread.

Great photos and info on the project, thank you.

I was aware they were working on this project, but had no idea as to the extent or any details.

So far I have had excellent OTA HD reception from Sutro Tower, hopefully it will continue after the project is completed.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There have been no changes for any of the stations transmitting from Sutro Tower since KGO moved to their new antenna in mid-July. (KGO is still having to switch to their alternate antenna way down on the tower during the days when a crew is working. They switch back to their permanent antenna around 5 to 5:30 pm.) All of the others are still using the temporary antennas that they've been using for years. Sactonortherncal, your reception is due to improved conditions... probably ducting, as Gjvrieze indicated. For the past couple of weeks, several of the Sacramento - Stockton stations have been coming in solid here in San Francisco.

When all of the stations move to the new antennas in October, there should be an improvement for everyone, but as we all know, nothing is for sure when it comes to RF and the reception of TV signals.

JJHXBR, glad you enjoyed the photos of the antenna project. Check back occasionally. I'll continue to add new ones as the project continues, fog permitting. I've only seen the top of the tower once in the past 8 days, so trying to systematically log the progress is impossible. I have to grab pics when I can.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney /forum/post/17055044

JJHXBR, glad you enjoyed the photos of the antenna project. Check back occasionally. I'll continue to add new ones as the project continues, fog permitting. I've only seen the top of the tower once in the past 8 days, so trying to systematically log the progress is impossible. I have to grab pics when I can.

Larry

SF

I am rather surprised that they are doing lifts on foggy days. Around this neck of the woods, they usually hang feedline or other smaller tower projects when it is not clear enough to watch the load go up the tower. I suppose you guys are always in the fog, so stopping for it each time, is probably not doable.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just added four new photos to my Sutro Tower page. Two are of the new KOFY and KPIX/KRON/KTVU antennas on the ground being prepared for installation, and near the bottom of the page are two of Bobby (bobby94928 here on AVS) on Level 6 of the tower.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney /forum/post/17070497

I just added four new photos to my Sutro Tower page. Two are of the new KOFY and KPIX/KRON/KTVU antennas on the ground being prepared for installation, and near the bottom of the page are two of Bobby (bobby94928 here on AVS) on Level 6 of the tower.

Larry

SF

Thanks Larry for the new photos!

Can't wait for the new KPIX/KRON/KTVU antennas to be installed and operational.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR /forum/post/17076146

Can't wait for the new KPIX/KRON/KTVU antennas to be installed and operational.

The proposed date for the switch of the UHF stations from the temporary antennas to the new permanent ones is the last week of October. Apparently, they have to complete all of the antenna installations and new feedlines before any of them can go on the air.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new KOFY antenna was installed yesterday and the bottom half of the new KPIX/KRON/KTVU antenna was installed today on the west mast of Sutro Tower. Photos are available for viewing on my Sutro pages.

Note: I have revised the pages and the antenna project is now on a separate page from the main Sutro Tower page. It was getting to be much too long for one page, so I split it up. It looks like page 3 will be coming soon.

My main Sutro Tower page: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html

The Sutro Antenna Project page: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutro2.html

Larry

SF

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
For those that have never seen it with some perspective, here's a pretty nice shot I took last week while floating above the city in a zeppelin. It is definitely a work of art. Unfortunately, this was as close as we got to it:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney /forum/post/17082881

The new KOFY antenna was installed yesterday and the bottom half of the new KPIX/KRON/KTVU antenna was installed today on the west mast of Sutro Tower. Photos are available for viewing on my Sutro pages.

Note: I have revised the pages and the antenna project is now on a separate page from the main Sutro Tower page. It was getting to be much too long for one page, so I split it up. It looks like page 3 will be coming soon.

My main Sutro Tower page: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html

The Sutro Antenna Project page: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutro2.html

Larry

SF

Thanks Larry for the new photos and update!

Will be checking back periodically on the progress.

Your contributions and efforts are much appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts