AVS Forum banner

15981 - 15996 of 15996 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for checking.
I went from just 500gb internet to bundling cable TV and 600gb internet in mid-January. This package only has a $10 unlimited data charge. When I had just internet, it was $50/month. I dont know what you have to purchase to qualify for the new price though.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mine is currently $9.50 on my bill that's due Feb 7th. Aren't they supposed to notify you when they plan to make those increases or is that something they just don't bother with anymore?
The notice appeared on my Jan 2 bill, and I was charged $13.90 on my Feb 2 bill.

Customer-owned equipment credit seems to have increased from $2.50 to $5.00.

·
Premium Member
35,565 Posts
The notice appeared on my Jan 2 bill, and I was charged $13.90 on my Feb 2 bill.

Customer-owned equipment credit seems to have increased from $2.50 to $5.00.
It was in mine too, I had separated the price list from the actual bill and never got around to even looking at it. I have the same increase to $13.90 which is an insane 46% over the previous rate. I don't see any mention of a customer-owned equipment credit though.

·
Premium Member
35,565 Posts
It's not on the price sheet. I received $5 credit on the Feb 2 bill. I hope that's the new regular credit, not a one-time glitch.
I hope so too as it will help with that highway robbery broadcast fee increase.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The regular rate for my service level has actually dropped. I have Internet Plus Basic (Limited Basic and 75Mbps Internet), which has $78.95 list price, brought down to $54.95 with retention 2-year contract. The equivalent new package is Choice TV Select Double Play (Limited Basic and 100Mbps Internet), which has $65 list price, a $13.95 drop. However, a customer who does not look at the new options may continue to pay for the higher regular price.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Well look what I got from Crapcast today via Email.

"Our goal is always to deliver the shows and movies our customers love to watch at the best value possible. In December we let you know about EPIX, an exciting new addition to your channel lineup. With EPIX you’re getting unlimited access to hit movies, critically acclaimed original series like Godfather of Harlem, starring and executive produced by Oscar-winner Forest Whitaker, documentaries and more, uncut and commercial-free.

We also wanted to remind you that beginning February 11, 2020, Starz will no longer be included with your package. If you'd like to keep Starz, you can do so at a special rate of $5 per month for the next 6 months and then $8.99 per month after that. Beginning February 11, you can order Starz through the Starz channel on your Xfinity TV box, or by calling 1-800-xfinity. Please note that this special $5 per month offer is only available through February 28.

For more information about how you can get Starz, visit here
."

The reports about Starz being zapped were true. Epix is not an fair replacement for Starz. It's too bad that the only options we have are Comcast, ATT/Direct (no NFL Network/Redzone is a showstopper for me) and Dish (are they still alive?). I just got an Nvidia Shield TV "tube" and find that it's picture quality is a tick better than Roku's or Fire TV Stick's. The Shield has an AI Enhancer that makes some 1080P programs look close to 4K quality and it's Dolby Vision/HDR10/Atmos performance is excellent. Netflix now has a vast array of programming in Dolby Vision that looks great. Because the Shield is an Android TV device, Comcast does not allow the HBO GO and Showtime Anytime streaming apps to work on it (although Epix does, and there is a way to enable HBO GO). Starz does not allow the use of its streaming app using your Comcast account credentials on any platform. Given all of this, I need to rethink my Comcast package. I'm going to look at getting rid of my premium channels and subscribing to some individually outside of Comcast knowing that their apps will then always be available on any of the streaming devices with vastly superior video/audio quality. HBO, Starz and Showtime are a combined $35/month. Some of Comcast's non-premium triple bundle packages still have 600Mpbs internet speed and that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
35,565 Posts
Well look what I got from Crapcast today via Email.

"Our goal is always to deliver the shows and movies our customers love to watch at the best value possible. In December we let you know about EPIX, an exciting new addition to your channel lineup. With EPIX you’re getting unlimited access to hit movies, critically acclaimed original series like Godfather of Harlem, starring and executive produced by Oscar-winner Forest Whitaker, documentaries and more, uncut and commercial-free.

We also wanted to remind you that beginning February 11, 2020, Starz will no longer be included with your package. If you'd like to keep Starz, you can do so at a special rate of $5 per month for the next 6 months and then $8.99 per month after that. Beginning February 11, you can order Starz through the Starz channel on your Xfinity TV box, or by calling 1-800-xfinity. Please note that this special $5 per month offer is only available through February 28.

For more information about how you can get Starz, visit here
."

The reports about Starz being zapped were true. Epix is not an fair replacement for Starz. It's too bad that the only options we have are Comcast, ATT/Direct (no NFL Network/Redzone is a showstopper for me) and Dish (are they still alive?). I just got an Nvidia Shield TV "tube" and find that it's picture quality is a tick better than Roku's or Fire TV Stick's. The Shield has an AI Enhancer that makes some 1080P programs look close to 4K quality and it's Dolby Vision/HDR10/Atmos performance is excellent. Netflix now has a vast array of programming in Dolby Vision that looks great. Because the Shield is an Android TV device, Comcast does not allow the HBO GO and Showtime Anytime streaming apps to work on it (although Epix does, and there is a way to enable HBO GO). Starz does not allow the use of its streaming app using your Comcast account credentials on any platform. Given all of this, I need to rethink my Comcast package. I'm going to look at getting rid of my premium channels and subscribing to some individually outside of Comcast knowing that their apps will then always be available on any of the streaming devices with vastly superior video/audio quality. HBO, Starz and Showtime are a combined $35/month. Some of Comcast's non-premium triple bundle packages still have 600Mpbs internet speed and that's good enough for me.
The HBO Go app works on the 2019 Shield with Comcast broadband, what happens when you try it? There's a glitch in the credential linking but a second try at the linking should work.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
The HBO Go app works on the 2019 Shield with Comcast broadband, what happens when you try it? There's a glitch in the credential linking but a second try at the linking should work.
I can confirm that the HBO Go "fix" works on the Shield but who knows for how long. I was on a long online chat with a Comcast rep who didn't even know that Starz had been zapped. She did point out that it would cost $5/month but I countered with the fact that after six months it would go up to $9/month which is what Starz charges for private subscriptions. I had her run some numbers on some of the various packages. To get a package similar to mine minus Starz and with 1GB Internet speed it would cost me at least $35/month more than my current bill. Pretty outrageous. Converting to the newer packages with Netflix/Showtime or HBO/Showtime would still cost me $15-$20/month more. No thanks. I'm ready to jump down to the triple bundle package with no premium channels and 600Mbps speed at $30 less than I'm about to pay with Comcast's latest rate increases. Again the additional $35/month for HBO, Showtime and Starz (the latter is not a must compared to the first two so I may not get it) streaming services would bring my monthly to around what it's about to become with Comcast but at least I won't be giving that $35 to them a small satisfaction but one that I'll take.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Starz does not allow the use of its streaming app using your Comcast account credentials on any platform.
It's the other way around. Comcast was the one who blocked the ability to login from the app because Starz launched their OTT service using the same app instead of a seperate one like HBO and Showtime do, even though no other cable, sat or telco provider had a problem continuing to allow their customers to login:
https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-wont-authenticate-subs-new-starz-app-404340

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
So I pulled the trigger on the cheaper triple bundle and picked up a 4K DVR. Getting it to recognize its remote was brutal and I a had service call scheduled for tomorrow but all of a sudden the remote started working. I have it set for 2160 HD UHD 60fps but I've noticed that some commercials are not filling the 16x9 screen completely (more like 12x9) so the aspect ratio changes when the actual program comes back. I have to research that a little more. My Premium channels are zapped except for Epix which is still available. Let's see if that lasts. I signed up for trials of HBO and Showtime streaming but will no doubt keep them.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It's the other way around. Comcast was the one who blocked the ability to login from the app because Starz launched their OTT service using the same app instead of a seperate one like HBO and Showtime do, even though no other cable, sat or telco provider had a problem continuing to allow their customers to login:
https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-wont-authenticate-subs-new-starz-app-404340
Well, that explains that.
STARZ went away in the last few weeks and two EPIX HD channels showed up, one in the 800s with a schedule (on my TiVo) and one in the 1000s that is all ‘TBD’. I was able to figure out which app to install on my Apple TV and was able to watch the last two episodes of War of the worlds in 4k HDR, so not all bad. And it seems STARZEncore is still showing up.
Maybe I’ll check with Comcast once the show is over.
And, my team is out of the Europa Cup so might drop the sports package to save a bit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm bored during CV and need a project. I have a TiVo Roamio pro. I'm thinking about adding a Tivo roamio OTA and an antenna to get better picture quality for OTA channels. Wife won't approve anything external so it'll probably need to go in the attic. I tried creating a DIY coat hanger antenna and mounting it in the garage, but the ability to pick up all the locals didn't really work. I could almost get them all, but it didn't always work all the time.

So I need some advice.

1). Is it possible to pick up all the locals in Campbell with an attic antennae and any brands/models suggested? I know the website for this, like antennaweb, say yes, but I weary of buying something given my experience. I've already tried a Mohu leaf and the wire hanger one and neither got everything all at once.

2). Is OTA worth it over cable for PQ? The locals honestly don't look terrible like some of the other channels do on Comcast, but I do love some good PQ on my 77" OLED. I know this is subjective, but I'd love to hear some opinions!

3). Any chance I could tell Comcast to shove it on their fee for 'broadcast channels' if I have OTA and don't need theirs via cable? It's such a scam that they add these fees outside of the package cost and they are skyrocketing.

Thanks so much for any advice!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think ability to pick up channels in attic depends on the type of roof you have. Overall, antenna reception in attic is better than living room. The higher the better. But I would definitely go with a more decent antenna than coat hanger unless you are very familiar with making antenna. I recently saw the highly rated 4-bay CM-4221HD on sale for $39 after coupon (TIVO).

When OTA works, its picture quality will likely surpass cable given cable recompresses the channels. I heard that Comcast has a a la carte pricing but you have to ask for it. But they set the price so it may not be cheaper depending on what you watch.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Just got an e-mail from Xfinity about the elimination fo some local channels that are considered to be redundant. In our service area only the NBC KCRA station in Sacramento is being removed which is no loss since it's SD only. KNTV based in San Jose but covering the entire Bay Area is the one that I've always watched since it's in HD so zapping an SD channel is no biggie.

15981 - 15996 of 15996 Posts