AVS Forum banner

10481 - 10500 of 18884 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24664081


The repacking is surely coming soon, OTA is doomed.

According to a recent report, stations that participate in the auction will have three months to sign off. Stations that will be required to move will have three years to do it. With the auction next year, this won't be settled until 2018 sometime, so it's definitely not "coming soon".
Quote:
Is KCRA Cable Ch 11?

SHF

No, KCRA is channel 3 on cable. Was that meant to be a joke? LOL


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24664790

 
Quote:
Is KCRA Cable Ch 11?

SHF

No, KCRA is channel 3 on cable. Was that meant to be a joke? LOL


Larry
 

Hi,

 

YES, I just forget to include the smiley. I wish that they had names like before, it is easy to choose the wrong one.


 

Someone just bought a Sony 4K TV and wanted help on usenet to put his HTPC's desktop onto it.  Google's ChromeCast HD $35.

 

I am unsure how far towards UDTV those models are. What I read ~ a year ago was $22,000.00 which included a server to feed the data to the UDTV.

 







Maybe it's my $4400 new eyes failing but I just am happy that I can handle any stream and restore the original 16:9 to fill my screen. HDTV just is not that much better.

 

Going back to when I read my first post about HDTV people were saying that we were having a HDTV conversion. Wrong, we had a DTV conversion, no HD required.

 

SHF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,276 Posts
And, the auction is voluntary, a part that a lot of people miss. If no stations came to the auction, nothing would happen.


- Trip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24665016


And, the auction is voluntary, a part that a lot of people miss. If no stations came to the auction, nothing would happen.


- Trip
Hi,

 

I consider the possibility that stations will get offers they cannot refuse.

 

A new law that they would not lose their "Cable Must Carry Status" would be one that I expect will pass.

 

Other laws will also pass. Whatever it takes.
Quote:

If no stations came to the auction, nothing would happen.
That has been said is the current situation.

 

 

New laws are needed to push and encourage stations to go off the air.

 

We have one station here in the Bay area that should go off the air for gross incompetence.

 

I stopped bashing them as it was no longer fun for what they did on the air.

 

In response to my requests for better program listings they just did not reply, not to me but Tribune Media Services. Twice, I was told they just did not reply and after the second time it was suggested that I drop it.



Voluntary, yes, but not forever.

 

SHF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24664690


They do use the NBC logo, but that's it.

Yes, a little NBC peacock next to a big "3."



Quote:
KOTR is another station that only identifies by their cable channel. Nothing on their website shows anything about actual OTA.

LP stations are all over the place when it comes to identifying. Some I've never seen identify with their actual call sign.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24664783


I don't see any signal on channel 4 yet.


Larry


Since I don't see a hint of anything on RF4 I think this is another case of lying to the FCC. I don't know why they would be in this case. FCC enforcement of LP station violations seems to be non-existent.


I filed complaints with the FCC about KACA (on the air but no License to Cover) and K23LK (License to Cover but not on the air) and there's been no response.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24664790


According to a recent report, stations that participate in the auction will have three months to sign off. Stations that will be required to move will have three years to do it.


Did I miss something? What stations would be required to move? Stations that had volunteered for channel sharing? I thought that no full power station would be required to do anything unless they volunteered.


I guess we still have 1 1/2 years to find out what is going to happen.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,276 Posts
Stations can be moved to clear the top end of the band. So if KTNC sells but KDTV doesn't, KDTV can be moved from 51 to 14 to clear off channel 51. That will be paid by the government, not the station.


- Trip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Does moving include forced channel sharing? There are so many stations in the Bay Area above channel 30 that they couldn't all move down.


Any serious effort at repacking will be the end of LPTV in any major market.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,276 Posts
No, channel sharing, like everything else aside from the exact channel the station operates on, is voluntary in the auction. (And a station cannot be required to move from UHF to VHF, or from high-VHF to low-VHF.)


After the Report and Order is voted on next month, I'm planning to post an FAQ about it on RabbitEars.


- Trip
 
  • Like
Reactions: Theducksfan2010

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,276 Posts
No, R&Os are typically published after being voted on, from what I understand.


But some of the things in the R&O have made it into the press, through meetings with NAB and wireless operators and other groups involved.


- Trip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10440#post_24636715

 

Hi,

 

Good article but I do not see how the numbers quoted relate to the 8% in the PBS Newshour.

 

The PBS person was pro Aereo but from an organization that also wants the repacking to be done.

 

Yes the cord cutters perhaps add into to the 8% which 'rely exclusively on "free" OTA'.

 

SHF
 

Maybe these numbers will make you feel a little better about OTA:

 

19.3% of all US homes


are antenna-TV reliant,

almost 60 million

VIEWERS mostly minorities and the young

and many satellite TV users (35% of homes) also use antenna for local channels,


which means that well over 


100 MILLION VIEWERS


RELY ON FREE TV! 


 

http://www.lptvcoalition.com/#!facts/c103x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24668084


No, R&Os are typically published after being voted on, from what I understand.


But some of the things in the R&O have made it into the press, through meetings with NAB and wireless operators and other groups involved.


- Trip
Is it worth reading the 2nd R&O (2011) or just wait for the next to be released??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,276 Posts
The incentive auction legislation wasn't passed until 2/22/2012, so any R&O from before that time won't say anything about its rules or anything.


- Trip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
 @Trip in VA


So start with the Spectrum Auction Act?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,276 Posts
The law is pretty short and legalese-heavy (small part of a much longer law). You can try to start there. You would also want to read the NPRM related to docket 12-268 and the public notices related to dockets 13-26 and 14-14. A number of things proposed in the NPRM are not being adopted as proposed, but it's a good read anyway.


Docket 13-26 is related to the TVStudy software that I work on for the FCC.


- Trip
 
  • Like
Reactions: Theducksfan2010

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24669060

 
Quote:

Hi,

 

Good article but I do not see how the numbers quoted relate to the 8% in the PBS Newshour.

 

The PBS person was pro Aereo but from an organization that also wants the repacking to be done.

 

Yes the cord cutters perhaps add into to the 8% which 'rely exclusively on "free" OTA'.

 

SHF
 

Maybe these numbers will make you feel a little better about OTA:

 

19.3% of all US homes


are antenna-TV reliant,

almost 60 million

VIEWERS mostly minorities and the young

and many satellite TV users (35% of homes) also use antenna for local channels,


which means that well over 


100 MILLION VIEWERS


RELY ON FREE TV! 


 

http://www.lptvcoalition.com/#!facts/c103x
Hi,

 

If you understand that all this is from the LOW POWER TV broadcaster point of view, not the entire DTV broadcast point of view, then you will understand why all the shouting is necessary. They have less protection.

 

Still there are many documents and much information plus a 90 minute video contained. I wish I had the time to look at this site in detail.

 

The LPTV broadcasters viewers have the most of all OTA viewers to lose. The perhaps are very low income and / or non English speaking.

 



The speaker on PBS NEWSHOUR who said the 8% make me think that that number will pop up again somewhere, I would expect out of the mouth of a congressman who has been re-elected or elected for the first time thanks to money from "K" street.

 

SHF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
 @SFischer1 wasn't shouting, just a quick cut and paste on my part from a presentation. I should have reformatted the text to match context, sorry.


Your right, a good link for resources and information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10470#post_24671054

@SFischer1 wasn't shouting, just a quick cut and paste on my part from a presentation. I should have reformatted the text to match context, sorry.


Your right, a good link for resources and information.
Hi,

 

NO!, not you but the webpage itself was shouting and the intended LPTV audience was being shouted at.

 

The webpage author appears to be scared and is presenting parts of the information for partial at least non-English viewers.

 

They have the most to lose after the crunch is done.

 

You presented the information correctly.

 

SHF

 

P.S. Yesterday was the first day in a long period that the RTE has worded correctly with IE 11. Finally!!!

 

Now the spell checker is failing.
 
10481 - 10500 of 18884 Posts
Top