AVS Forum banner

10561 - 10580 of 18881 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10530#post_24702906

Hi,

Back in the analog NTSC days I watched KCRA's noon news often.

My attic VHF Lo-Hi antenna is tied up with string and pointed at Sutro.

I put it up ~ 1972 and it still is there, but deaf because of my new metal roof.

From Sunnyvale pointed at Sutro to the North West I never could figure why I got KCRA to the North East.

Mt Tam keeps coming up in my mind, even as why Chuck can get some Sutro stations with "The Devil Mountain" in the way.

SHF
Thanks, all this info helps.  -Dana

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10530#post_24702957

I have a very poor path to the northwest so I get little from that direction. Also I have KMMW on RF 28 from Angels Camp which is only 14 miles from here. It is very strong so no other channel 28's are possible here.

My main antennas are a pair of 91XGs on UHF and a pair of 12 element log periodics for high VHF on top of my ham tower at 71'. See my avatar for the picture. I have a higher tower with other antennas including a special design high VHF antenna at 85' and that one actually works the best on RF 2.

I may experiment with a couple of elements cut for channel 2 and see if I can receive KFTY better.

I can't see KFTY tonight because I have power line noise and my antenna is not very directional. I'm working with PG&E right now and hope to silence it next week.

Chuck
I see, your very high antenna really helps.     I did not even know about KMMW as was outside our projected area.  Thanks!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUN-TV  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10530#post_24702769

Wow, 80% very encouraging.  Your info is most helpful to us on roll-out.  As told Larry this is a brand new one off Tam.  What type of antenna do you use?   BTW outdoor with handheld is also encouraging.   The computer model indicated San Jose is a possible for it,

We are all ears as to where and how people can see it.

Cheers,  Dana

FYI ....You have some technical issues going on right now.

Ch 3-3 audio

One of my boxes will not decode the audio.

Another box has a long 10 second delay before the audio comes on.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUN-TV  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10530#post_24702769

Wow, 80% very encouraging.  Your info is most helpful to us on roll-out.  As told Larry this is a brand new one off Tam.  What type of antenna do you use?   BTW outdoor with handheld is also encouraging.   The computer model indicated San Jose is a possible for it,

We are all ears as to where and how people can see it.

Cheers,  Dana

Standard def. image quality is poor.....
...... looks like old vcr tape......

The only acceptable images are the ones ..... "not with moving" objects.

Even QVC looks bad.

crank up the download speed or something.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Hi,

We had the data rate slowed down.  We were experimenting.  Each subchannel was just 1.95 Mbps.  We just increased it to 4 Mbps.  How does it look now?  We'll be installing a new Anywave mux soon which just came out at NAB this year.

Blessings,

Keith

·
Registered
416 Posts

If Adjacent channels are such a problem why would ABC 10 (10) and KVIE 6 (9) broadcast on Ch 9 and 10 respectively both in Sacramento. 

Personally I don't see any problems due to Adjacent channels at my house, and I am loaded with them, just from co-channels.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had not seen this before and thought it might help with understanding what goes into a TV transmitter. It is mostly analog, but there is a bit of digital content as well. Video was shot in Sydney, Australia, but should be pretty close to the setup here. Probably old stuff for some like Larry Kenney and others, but I found it interesting.

The poster (EEVblog) also has tear-down videos on some of the equipment he grabbed before it went to the scrap yard. Anyway, about an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mR_wJkxKSXU

Watching this on youtube while having the TV on in the background with a signal likely transmitted from just such a transmitter kind of puts it all together. Back in the '80s when this equipment was designed and installed, that is the sort of infrastructure you needed to broadcast a signal out to a few million folks. Now you can get a camcorder/cell phone and an internet connection and do the same thing. Sure there is a lot of hidden infrastructure for the internet and cell phone networks. But the neighbor down the street is not likely to have a 10KW TV transmitter in his back yard, but it would be trivial for him/her to set up a youtube channel.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703049

Ch 3-3 audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703326

Hi,

We had the data rate slowed down.  We were experimenting.  Each subchannel was just 1.95 Mbps.  We just increased it to 4 Mbps.  How does it look now?  We'll be installing a new Anywave mux soon which just came out at NAB this year.

Blessings,

Keith

Looks ok with 3-4 the best,.... then down to 3-1 of lesser quality.

3-3 audio problems continue.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Just make sure that your antennas can receive KQED. You don't want to miss Ken Burns' miniseries on the Roosevelts (TR, FDR, and Eleanor), coming in September.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUN-TV  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10530#post_24702751

Yes.  Congrats looks like you were the first to see it.  

Thank you for your input.  Congrats on first sighting.

-Dana
Hi Dana...

Nice hearing from you! I don't know if I was the first to see the new channel 3, but I was the first to report about it.

I don't have any antennas here for the low VHF channels, since there haven't been any channels transmitting down there until KFTY 2 came on the air a few weeks ago. Despite the lack of a decent antenna, I get a very strong signal on channel 3 here in San Francisco on both my AntennasDirect C5 and my 10 element yagi, both high VHF antennas.

I also get a signal from channel 2 from Mt. St. Helena, but it's not strong enough to produce a good picture. If I had an antenna for low VHF I'm sure it would come in just fine, as I get an excellent signal from KEMO-TV, that transmits from the same location.

I noted that 3.4 was supposed to be AUN in the PSIP information, and that's how it's noted on my list of digital stations (see http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html ), but I had no idea what the service was until now. I checked earlier this evening and your news channel is not on there yet. They are still showing continuous informercials. I'll keep an eye out for when they switch to your "American Uncensored News" programming. Where does the service originate?

Do you know anything about when KTVJ, channel 4, scheduled to transmit from the same site as channel 3, is going to be coming on the air?

Larry

SF

Edit: To answer your later question about KCRA 3, yes I get it here occasionally but it's on channel 35, the same channel as KGO's translator in the South Bay, so the two signals are fighting each other. I'm located between the Castro and Noe Valley just east of Twin Peaks here in SF.

·
Registered
17,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10500_100#post_24703329

If Adjacent channels are such a problem why would ABC 10 (10) and KVIE 6 (9) broadcast on Ch 9 and 10 respectively both in Sacramento. 

Personally I don't see any problems due to Adjacent channels at my house, and I am loaded with them, just from co-channels.

Adjacent channels are only a problem when there is a difference in strength between the two of them of more than about 30 dB. Since KVIE and KXTV come from the same tower farm, their signal strengths will always be more or less the same (certainly not different by 30 dB) at any given receive antenna, so they will not interfere with each other.

In your own case, despite many cases of adjacent channeling, I think most of the stations you receive are so far away that there's an antenna position for most or all of them where an adjacent channel meets that 30 dB requirement.

- Trip

Reactions: Theducksfan2010

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703326

Hi,

Blessings,

Keith

My PG&E noise was off this morning so I was able to receive KFTY on a high VHF antenna. All the sub channels looked better to me.

My project for today is too optimize the spacing of my UHF antennas to see if that improves my KUVS/KOFY situation any and to temporarily substitute a crudely built channel 2 3-element yagi for my FM antenna to see how much of an improvement that makes. That will help me determine if I want to put anymore effort into low VHF or not.

Do you know anything about K02QP, another One Ministries station on RF 2 with a proposed transmitter in Turlock? That's a lot closer to me than these north bay stations.

I've also been keeping an eye on the K02QX situation. Do you think the FCC will approve 3KW at the new proposed location? That was sure a mess with KOTR.

Chuck

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703049

Ch 3-3 audio

Thanks, will pass on to the engineer.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703465

Looks ok with 3-4 the best,.... then down to 3-1 of lesser quality.

3-3 audio problems continue.
I see Keith has already responded, he is the guy running things.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703481

Hi Dana...

Nice hearing from you! I don't know if I was the first to see the new channel 3, but I was the first to report about it.

I don't have any antennas here for the low VHF channels, since there haven't been any channels transmitting down there until KFTY 2 came on the air a few weeks ago. Despite the lack of a decent antenna, I get a very strong signal on channel 3 here in San Francisco on both my AntennasDirect C5 and my 10 element yagi, both high VHF antennas.

I also get a signal from channel 2 from Mt. St. Helena, but it's not strong enough to produce a good picture. If I had an antenna for low VHF I'm sure it would come in just fine, as I get an excellent signal from KEMO-TV, that transmits from the same location.

I noted that 3.4 was supposed to be AUN in the PSIP information, and that's how it's noted on my list of digital stations (see http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html ), but I had no idea what the service was until now. I checked earlier this evening and your news channel is not on there yet. They are still showing continuous informercials. I'll keep an eye out for when they switch to your "American Uncensored News" programming. Where does the service originate?

Do you know anything about when KTVJ, channel 4, scheduled to transmit from the same site as channel 3, is going to be coming on the air?

Larry

SF

Edit: To answer your later question about KCRA 3, yes I get it here occasionally but it's on channel 35, the same channel as KGO's translator in the South Bay, so the two signals are fighting each other. I'm located between the Castro and Noe Valley just east of Twin Peaks here in SF.
Hi Larry,

I responded just now, but it had one link in it, and it said needed to go the review.  Assume it will be fine with them, but in mean time in regard to the stations here they are, rest of answers should be there soon.

Regards, Dana

AUN-TV Station #s and Call Letters

K03HY Channel 3, San Francisco, CA, RF 3, 1.2 KW,app 2.4KW, New

KRDT Channel 23 Redding, CA, RF 23, 15 KW

K11VZ Channel 11, Chico, CA, RF 11, in progress .3KW

KKPM Channel 28, Sacramento/Chico, CA, RF 28, 15 KW

KFTY Channel 45 Wine Country, CA, RF 2, 3KW

KUKR Channel 26 Santa Rosa, CA, RF 26, 1KW-App for 3KW Old Call Letters K26JV

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hi Larry,

I responded once with a link in it, and site had to be reviewed.  So resent with just call letter list, KWs #s and it thought it had an image in it and said had to be reviewed.  So have taken call letters and put in notepad txt file and copied that, so hopefully this one makes it thru.

AUN-TV Station #s and Call Letters

K03HY Channel 3, San Francisco, CA, RF 3, 1.2 KW,app 2.4KW

KRDT Channel 23 Redding, CA, RF 23, 15 KW

K11VZ Channel 11, Chico, CA, RF 11, in progress .3KW

KKPM Channel 28, Sacramento/Chico, CA, RF 28, 15 KW

KFTY  Channel 45 Wine Country, CA, RF 2, 3KW

KUKR Channel 26 Santa Rosa, CA, RF 26, 1KW-App for 3KW  Old Call Letters K26JV

Cheers, Dana  

Rest of answers should come thru soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10560#post_24703481

Hi Dana...

Larry

SF

Hi Larry,  

Looks like my more lengthy reply with a link in it may not get thru,  So will try and answer your questions again.  First thanks for antenna feedback.   Keith predicted that in SF a paperclip would work for antenna for #3 as on Tam, you seem to be confirming that.

On RF 2 on St Helena we did not think it would make SF, but you are in good location in SF for it.  It is virtual 45, as shown in the list I just posted.  Think someone said 50 instead of 45.   Know just where you are, I used to drive truck in SF for auto parts store and used 17th to get past Twin Peaks.

On 3.4 AUN-TV it is infos now, as we debug and find range etc.,  But will transition into 24 hour news oriented.  Documentaries, live talk TV, etc., 7pm news hour etc.  It stands for American Uncensored News Network, we will cover things other news stations are afraid of. There is a website up now, AUN-TV with the normal web stuff before and after the AUN-TV.

KTVJ may be in month or two, Keith is driving that.  

So you did not get RF3 KCRA, but a 35 RF repeater?  By any wild chance can you see KKPM 28 from Buttes?  It does make Vacaville.

Thank you again, Dana

·
Registered
38 Posts

I thought a new post would be on this SF thread, but it created a brand new one, whoops.

Here it is on this thread:

This was a 2005 post:

KFTY-DT, analog channel 50, in Santa Rosa, California, turned on their digital transmitter on Mt. St. Helena on channel 54.1 a few days ago.

Using a rooftop CM 4228 antenna, I'm able to receive the station in San Francisco, 64 miles away, so those who live north of here and east of Santa Rosa, like the Sacramento area, should get good reception.

Larry

Yes, they went off air and KFTY called letters were recycled to KFTY 45, RF2, off same St Helena mountain.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:

Ch 3-3 audio

Still not working properly..... (Worked last week) ...... Not now.

10561 - 10580 of 18881 Posts