AVS Forum banner

10621 - 10640 of 18881 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10590#post_24708253

That's what I was afraid of. I can zoom in and actually put the first X on the exact right spot of my roof, but as small as the map is, it's really hard to find the transmitter locations for Meadow Lakes and the rest of Fresno/Salinas Broadcast Towers.
Hi,

Click for a larger view!

This is about the same as what I posted a few posts back. K03HY to my location.

With the RED line that I added sometimes by hand and draw in my mind whenever I look at a profile.

The RED line is the LOS path from the transmitter to my location, it clears the San Francisco hills easily. The path in my posts before shows the Blue path below the RED line on the ground. Sorry if the (RED, Red, Blue) lines which are different get mixed up in your mind.

Chuck used a Blue line in his profile. I used a Blue line on the ground.

I put the "X" on K03HY's transmitter location and another one on my location.

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html was used and the above was sniped from the screen.

I am familiar with the process as I use the same process for Topo 9.

First, zoom in until you find the first endpoint and click to place the first "X".

Then, using only the direction arrows and zoom in / out controls find the second point and click to place your second "X".

Zooming out after placing the first "X" allows you to move to the second location quicker, and then zoom in.

I looked at the http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html and I could not find a better way.

The process I used for Topo 9 was a little different and allows entering Lat. Lon. for both endpoints.

I created a waypoint for K03HY, FCC entry for K03HY, then FCC NAD 27 to NAD 83 conversion. Zooming in using Google Earth suggests that the tower in the FCC records is a little off.

I have a waypoint for my location and when I want to draw a line two waypoints can be selected. Then selecting the line a profile can be generated.

Topo 9's profile is for hiking which is why the line is on the ground.

SHF

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10590#post_24708256

Aren't all these One Ministries stations running the same programming? I thought they were all translators.

I'll bet KTVJ will be hard to receive at only 300 watts and almost no one with a low VHF antenna.

Chuck

I don't know if the other stations are set up the same as K03HY or not. I don't want to list incorrect info.

KTVJ is an independent station now, so I have no idea what they'll have for programming when they go digital, but I think I should be able to receive them OK here in the city. I just noticed that Rabbit Ears shows their virtual channel as 39. (Where'd you get that info, Trip?)

K03HY comes in at 23 DB SNR off the side of my C5 and 20 dB off the side of my 10 element High VHF yagi pointed toward Walnut Grove, so I think the 300 watts from KTVJ will make it here okay too. We'll see! By the way, I get KFTY 45 on channel 2 at 12 to 13 dB off the side of my 10 element yagi. If I put up a low VHF antenna pointed north I think I would get good signals from 2, 3 and 4.

Larry

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708429

Hi,

Click for a larger view!

SHF

You need to use Curved Earth under "Parameters" because it can make a big difference in many cases although it'll probably still be LOS in this case.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708516

KTVJ is an independent station now, so I have no idea what they'll have for programming when they go digital, but I think I should be able to receive them OK here in the city. I just noticed that Rabbit Ears shows their virtual channel as 39. (Where'd you get that info, Trip?)

Larry

Virtual 39 is no good here because I have KMMD on 39 VC/RF. They should pick something that isn't used anywhere else within at least 200 miles. How about 52, 53, 55, 56, 57, 59, 61, 62, 63 or 69?

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708555

Virtual 39 is no good here because I have KMMD on 39 VC/RF. They should pick something that isn't used anywhere else within at least 200 miles. How about 52, 53, 55, 56, 57, 59, 61, 62, 63 or 69?

Chuck
Virtual Channel number shouldn't matter as long as the actual broadcast channel is clear. I have multiple virtual channels here. 13 KOVR/13KVBC  39 KMSG/39KMMD etc.....

The only Device I have out of 10 tuners that has a problem with multiple VC#s IS THE DVR+, it just throws the second ones found into the 100 channel # range, it still gets them both.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708538

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708429

Hi,

Click for a larger view!

SHF

You need to use Curved Earth under "Parameters" because it can make a big difference in many cases although it'll probably still be LOS in this case.

Chuck
Hi,

If I had selected Curved Earth then it would not match what I posted before from Topo 9.

The only thing that I have is the 3D view that is not online somewhere. I am amazed that I have a program that is not far away from what the Weather Consultants provide the stations.

The 3D view I posted shows how much of the Bay Area might be able to get K03HY as Mt Tam is so high.

SHF

·
Registered
3,282 Posts

Quote:
It would be nice to enter two points but it doesn't work that way.

I got it to work.

Did it in the following sequence:

Set the parameter to "curved earth"

Enter the first set of coordinates ( I cut and pasted from TVFool's Online Maps tool the coordinates of a transmitter), then hit "enter" key.

Click on "Show Profile 2"

Enter the second set of coordinates ( I cut and pasted from TVFool's Online Maps tool the coordinates of a known receiving location), then hit "enter" key.

To change the elevation of either point, look to the lower right side of the resulting map and you will see two elevations (as well as the coordinates entered0. Click on them, one at a time and enter an offset. For example, enter a "+1000" for a 1,000' tower or "+35" or a 35' tower. The path re-calculates as each is entered.

Interesting tool, I'd never seen it before. What other tricks can be done with it that you know of?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708568

Virtual Channel number shouldn't matter as long as the actual broadcast channel is clear. I have multiple virtual channels here. 13 KOVR/13KVBC  39 KMSG/39KMMD etc.....

The only Device I have out of 10 tuners that has a problem with multiple VC#s IS THE DVR+, it just throws the second ones found into the 100 channel # range, it still gets them both.

If KMMD is 39/39 and KTVJ is 39/4 how does the tuner know which one to tune to when you enter 39.1?

The only device I have that can handle that is the TiVo and only when you select the channel from the guide.

The Sony can have 39/39 or 39/4, not both.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708815

If KMMD is 39/39 and KTVJ is 39/4 how does the tuner know which one to tune to when you enter 39.1?

The only device I have that can handle that is the TiVo and only when you select the channel from the guide.

The Sony can have 39/39 or 39/4, not both.

Chuck
VC is the same, but the rest of the PSIP data is different, it just loads them into the channel mapping consecutively.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708679

I got it to work.

Did it in the following sequence:

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't figured out how to enter the coordinates directly.

So close to LOS for K03HY:

Here's why Sutro is so hard here and KTNC is so easy:

KTNC is 20 dB stronger than anything from Sutro with almost 20 dB less power so Mt. Diablo acts as a 40 dB attenuator!

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708847

VC is the same, but the rest of the PSIP data is different, it just loads them into the channel mapping consecutively.

Consider yourself lucky if all your tuners do that. The TiVo sets up the channel guide like that but you still can't enter the VC directly and get to the 2nd in the list. My Sony will not map two different RF channels to the same VC since it only associates numbers, not call signs or programming info.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708906

Consider yourself lucky if all your tuners do that. The TiVo sets up the channel guide like that but you still can't enter the VC directly and get to the 2nd in the list. My Sony will not map two different RF channels to the same VC since it only associates numbers, not call signs or programming info.

Chuck
Off topic a little but how do you like your TiVo, which model do you have?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708912

Off topic a little but how do you like your TiVo, which model do you have?

Roamio Basic. Works great. TiVo tends to hijack threads so e-mail me directly if you have other questions.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708897

Here's why Sutro is so hard here and KTNC is so easy:

KTNC is 20 dB stronger than anything from Sutro with almost 20 dB less power so Mt. Diablo acts as a 40 dB attenuator!

Chuck
Hi,

Your path to KGO almost ex actually through KTNC's tower.

SHF

·
Registered
274 Posts

K03HY-D San Francsico, KKPM-CD Chico, KFTY-LD Middletown, KUKR-LD Santa Rosa, K11VZ Chico, and KRDT-LD Redding all air the same programming.  They are all linked over-the-air.  The studio for KKPM-CD is in Chico with a remote studio in Santa Rosa that is shared with Broken FM and is near the In-N-Out Burger.  An uplink on RF channel 20 (virtual 45) originates from our Santa Rosa studio to KFTY-LD RF channel 2 (virtual channel 45).  KKPM-CD, KUKR-LD and K03HY-D all directly listen to KFTY-LD to get their input signal.  It works nice to link things together on channel 2, since it is a really open channel.  We use KTECH FRQ-200s to change the PSIP information for each station to then identify itself, but all of the content on the sub-channels remain the same.  We currently have an 8 channel mux from Comark that only has 4 channels enabled.  We just ordered an 8 channel Anywave mux and will be installing it to be able to double our sub-channels.  The current line-up is Better Life TV on the .1 channel.  On the .2 is God TV.  On the .3 is QVC.  On the .4 is American Uncensored news that is currently running infomercials from Cornerstore.

Blessings,

Keith, KB5JVM

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24708983

I have the same one, I really miss a dot on the remote to go directly to subchannels though.

I promised I wasn't going to turn this into a TiVo thread but just this one thing...... Use the "Scan 30 sec button" with the (-) above it to enter sub channels.... Ex: 13-1.

Quote:
Did you ever finish that diagram you were working on of my tv setup? I would love to move the my Simple.Tv into my living room, so it can be on the 91XG. Would it be good to replace my 2way splitter with a 3way or would that degrade my reception? I have the inline amplifier for my Terk antenna, should I use that between the wall and the 3 way splitter? I get so many more channels on the 91XG, it would really enhance my streaming television experience outside of my house.

Was I working on a diagram for you? What did I say I was going to do?
I think I'd need your info again, coax runs, etc.

You have to use a 4-way splitter. Splitters only come in powers of 2.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10620#post_24709008

K03HY-D San Francsico, KKPM-CD Chico, KFTY-LD Middletown, KUKR-LD Santa Rosa, K11VZ Chico, and KRDT-LD Redding all air the same programming.

Do you have anything to do with K02QP near Modesto? I wonder if that's about to come on the air?

73 - Chuck - AA6G

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
KTVJ has filed a request for Silent Operation with the FCC citing this reason:

LICENSEE IS THE PROCESS OF UPGRADING THE STATION TO PROVIDE BETTER CONVERGE TO THE COMMUNITIES INSIDE THE SERVICE CONTOUR. CURRENTLY WE ARE WORKING TOGETHER WITH RF CHANNEL 3, K03HY-D, ON A SOLUTION INVOLVING A NEW SHARED ANTENNA AT THE CURRENT SITE OR AT A POTENTIAL NEW TOWER SITE THAT WOULD OFFER BETTER COVERAGE. WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS WE WILL BE FILING FOR A NEW CONSTRUCTION PERMIT APPLICATION TOGETHER WITH K03HY-D WITH THE NEW DESIRED FACILITY.

It's a little weird to be filing for a Silent STA when you were never on the air.

Chuck

·
Registered
274 Posts

Yes, we'll also build K02QP Modesto and Channel 6 Modesto.  I am going to file for the third extension for K02QP.  This is considered an indefinite extension until things get sorted out with the spectrum auction.  Do you have any good towers to use within 30 miles of the permit for K02QP?  I can put in for the minor mod.  I was going to consentrate on building San Jose 2 (K02QX-D) and Monterey 5 (K02QQ-D) first, though.  I work a full time job at Agilent in Santa Rosa, so I have to take things one step at a time.

Blessings,

Keith, KB5JVM

10621 - 10640 of 18881 Posts