AVS Forum banner

10661 - 10680 of 18884 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

 

Quote:
Eventually Retro TV Might Be Last Classic Network Standing

https://reports.zoho.com/ZDBDataSheetView.cc?DBID...OBJID ...
 
Default value missing. Set the default .... Caution: Changes will be lost if not saved. ...... Retro Television seems to be the De facto programming partner for low power TV stations. ...... Titan Provides KTNC as San Francisco Berth for Estrella TV.
Hi,
 
I do not wish to signup for another webpage.

 
(Just paste the title into Google.)
 
Date????
 
SHF
 
                                                     K,W = USA,
Call letters' meaning
Television
Northern
California
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24727511

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24726612


42.5 is now color bars ... +sigh+.
They had Retro TV on 42.5 for several days, then the color bars showed up two or three days ago.


I wonder sometimes if the people managing some of these stations have any idea of what they're doing. So many seem to be very incompetent.


Larry
Hi,

 

OK, I agree that the way they did it was bad. I require absolute correct listings and cannot capture "ThisTV" or "RetroTV" or even "The Works" (I do not expect to do so) until they are corrected.

 



What it KTNC had added "The Works" as a new stream 42.5?

 

That would reduce significantly the number of viewers that find programs only by surfing the streams.

 

Only those viewers who did a rescan would see "The Works".

 

So, from that point of view, they introduced a new stream in the best way. It might even have been a "The Works" requirement when they contracted with KTNC to be 42.3.



The money coming in from 42.3, 42.4 and 42.5 is much smaller than their main business which is Spanish programming on 42.1 and 42.2.

 

The problem with "RetroTV" on 42.5 may be non payment of required fees which would be a problem even if they continued on 42.4.

 

SHF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24724638


Keith... What's happening with 3.2? It's been displaying "No Signal" for the past few days.


Larry

SF
Its been messed up for some time now. They fixed the audio problem on 3-3,.... and now the audio problem is on 3-1..... so they moved it.

For whatever reason, 1/2 my tuners will not decode the audio on 3-1 now, and the ones that do, take a long 5-10 second delay before the audio kicks in.

So it's ok for now if you like QVC shopping .... or infomercials on growing hair.

The signal is strong, and always there.... Surprisingly no breakups, but an occasional stutter.


Where is KTVJ ?.....4


Speaking of station problems ..... did daystar ever fix the line in the picture you see?..... for months.

Ben

Hayward
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24728677


Where is KTVJ ?.....4


Speaking of station problems ..... did daystar ever fix the line in the picture you see?..... for months.

Ben

Hayward
They say that KTVJ should be coming on in a month or two. It was said somewhere in the recent posts.


Last time I flipped through the channels a few days ago, KDTS 52.1 (RF8) still had "BOB-4" supered over the middle of the picture. It's been that way for months.


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24728700


They say that KTVJ should be coming on in a month or two. It was said somewhere in the recent posts.

It's been interesting having Dana and Keith visit here. It does though reinforce my view that LPTV is sort of the wild west of DTV. They play fast and loose with the rules and you never know when or if a station will come on the air, if it'll be reliable or if it will even stay on the air once it does show up.


If I had to place a bet it would be on KTVJ not coming on the air anytime soon.

Quote:
Last time I flipped through the channels a few days ago, KDTS 52.1 (RF8) still had "BOB-4" supered over the middle of the picture. It's been that way for months.

I shot off an e-mail to the contact person for KDTS and KACA suggesting they fix KDTS and apply for a license for KACA. Both are DayStar stations with the same contact person.



I continue to monitor the path to KFTY. With the departing high pressure, conditions tend to go crazy here and signals from all over were way down late last evening. KFTY went out for the first time and KEMO was down about 10 dB. This morning though it is the opposite. KFTY is 24 dB SNR (best yet) and KEMO is SNR 31 dB. Sutro UHF is completely out but KKPX, a station I normally don't receive was SNR 28 DB. Apparently K03HY is way up too because I can barely receive KCSO with the antenna in the best position and not at all pointed at it.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
KEMO has added another sub-channel, 50.2, the BOLD TV Network. It appears to be another network of older TV shows like ME-TV, Antenna TV and Retro TV.


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
Tuning around last night shortly after midnight (when I found 50.2) I noticed some rather weird but interesting signal strengths. The two VHF stations from Walnut Grove, KVIE 9 and KXTV 10, were both coming in here with signals in the 21 to 22 dB SNR range and KMAX was at 25 dB (all stronger than normal by 3 to 4 dB) , but KOVR, KCRA and KQCA were all below the cliff edge around 14 dB. KOVR is normally about 17 dB and KQCA is normally about 20 dB. There was still no picture from KTFK or KSPX, but their signals were stronger than normal, just below the cliff edge.


Stations from the north, KTLN and KEMO were both stronger than usual by several dB. KEMO is normally about 20 to 21... last night it was up to 27 dB! KRCB was off the air, so I got no reading on it.


KAXT 1 (RF 42) from the South Bay was the strongest I've ever seen it. Normally 16-17 dB, last night it was at 23 dB!


Taking a look this morning, the two VHF stations are still above average, but all of the other stations are all back to normal levels.


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,277 Posts
Retro TV does not lease space. So Retro failing to pay KTNC is not a reason.


- Trip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Just looked through the channels and KNTV and KKPX are both SNR 31dB and are as strong as some of the Walnut Grove stations. Above average signals from Sutro at the moment too.


I've seen this pattern repeat many times now. As a high pressure moves in from the pacific signals drop off. As it moves overhead the signals return to normal. As it moves off to the east signals go way up. Signals will likely return to nominal levels late tomorrow and Monday as the next low pressure moves in.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24729756


KEMO has added another sub-channel, 50.2, the BOLD TV Network. It appears to be another network of older TV shows like ME-TV, Antenna TV and Retro TV.


Larry

Yes, seeing that now as well. KEMO is coming in fairly strong here in the south bay today. 50.2 was there before but it used to be just an SD version of the HD program on 50.1 (RF32). Interesting that the broadcast EPG listings are still the same for 50.1 and 50.2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24727596


Hi,


Maybe RetroTV didn't pay their contract bill for appearing on the station. Or just canceled.


Perhaps they were unhappy being bumped to a previously non-existant stream number forcing viewers to do a rescan (If they had any idea that they needed to).


RetroTV web page for Affiliates & Schedules still has 42.4 so that is no help.



ThisTV web page still has 42.3.


"The Works" I cannot find a web page listing stations.


I am going to amend my request to SD / Tribune Media Services.

EDIT: The original request may have resulted to a call to KTNC and the person who answered may have realized that they were not paying their bill. The timing is right.


SHF



101A7308_T1-5_6_2014.txt

The whole thing is a freakin' fiasco. If they move stuff around (i.e. ThisTV from 42.3 to 42.4, they should at least put a message at the bottom of the screen periodically asking viewers to re-scan their channel. Fortunately, my little Zinwell box picks up new sub channels automatically, but many are not so fortunate.


And broadcast TV wonders why they are going the way of the Dodo bird?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24730638

...

And broadcast TV wonders why they are going the way of the Dodo bird?
Hi,

 

Well, they are trying to bring back the Passenger pigeon so there still is hope.

 

I wonder if they will be as delicious.


 

SHF

 

 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24730216


Just looked through the channels and KNTV and KKPX are both SNR 31dB and are as strong as some of the Walnut Grove stations. Above average signals from Sutro at the moment too.


Chuck
Wow! Those are strong signals for such a long distance! I've never seen any distant station get that strong here.


I tuned around this afternoon and signals from all over were up a few dB from normal, but not like last night when some were very high and others were real low. Signals from all directions were up today. Even KOVR, KCRA and KQCA were higher than normal after being below the cliff edge yesterday. I found it interesting that stations from the South Bay were strong enough today to be picked up off the back of the S-15 antenna that's pointed north and were producing 20 to 22 dB signals.


As 4Crawler noted, KEMO was putting in a good signal down in Santa Clara today... a 100+ mile path.


You never know what to expect when tuning across the channels.


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I was picking up low power Bakersfield stations 2 days ago with the absolute strongest signals I have ever seen here on any station.

But today @Larry Kenney You turned the tides on me and my reception. Signals here were the lowest I have ever seen. Stations dropped out that I have never seen go below the cliff before.

We will see if things change now that they have returned to normal again, actually they are already rising above normal conditions for this time of night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Sporadic-E season began last night. I saw XEPM analog on RF 2 between about 6 and 7pm and again this morning after 6 am. I've yet to see a call sign on the screen but I did hear a voice ID this morning.


I've yet to receive a digital station via sporadic-E but it should be possible. Stations have to be at the right distance for single hop propagation. I looked through the FCC database and have identified candidates to look for on RF 2. There are not a lot of possibilities.


K02RF Boise, ID 3KW

KSFW Dallas, TX 3KW (Construction Permit)

KREX Grand Junction, CO 800 watts

KNOP North Platte, NE 16KW

KOTA Rapid city, SD 18.2 KW


The are a bunch of other RF 2's but they're all very low power, mostly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24731723


I was picking up low power Bakersfield stations 2 days ago with the absolute strongest signals I have ever seen here on any station.

But today @Larry Kenney You turned the tides on me and my reception. Signals here were the lowest I have ever seen. Stations dropped out that I have never seen go below the cliff before.


It's not unusual for very good/bad conditions to be followed by very bad/good conditions. Sometimes I'd like to see conditions just stay around nominal.


Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24729756


KEMO has added another sub-channel, 50.2, the BOLD TV Network. It appears to be another network of older TV shows like ME-TV, Antenna TV and Retro TV.


Larry

Do you see any indication that BOLD originates from Amazon.com? If their programming all seems to be retro, that doesn't seem to be from Amazon, unless they have done a flip-flop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24732478


Sporadic-E season began last night. I saw XEPM analog on RF 2 between about 6 and 7pm and again this morning after 6 am. I've yet to see a call sign on the screen but I did hear a voice ID this morning.


I've yet to receive a digital station via sporadic-E but it should be possible. Stations have to be at the right distance for single hop propagation. I looked through the FCC database and have identified candidates to look for on RF 2. There are not a lot of possibilities.


K02RF Boise, ID 3KW

KSFW Dallas, TX 3KW (Construction Permit)

KREX Grand Junction, CO 800 watts

KNOP North Platte, NE 16KW

KOTA Rapid city, SD 18.2 KW


The are a bunch of other RF 2's but they're all very low power, mostly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/10650#post_24733663


Is that with a real VHF L antenna, or the makeshift one you made for Ch 3?

That's with a real homemade low VHF antenna, 2nd from the bottom in the attached image.


Chuck

 
10661 - 10680 of 18884 Posts
Top