AVS Forum banner

10961 - 10980 of 18971 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Does anyone know why/how long KTLN 68 is running TheCoolTv on both the .2 and .4 subchannels, even the PSIP reflects this.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
@TheDucksFan... Nice to see you back on here.

I'd estimate that TheCoolTV has been running on both 68.2 and 68.4 for about three to four weeks now. Seems weird to take up bandwidth with identical sub-channels, doesn't it?

Larry

·
Registered
416 Posts
@TheDucksFan... Nice to see you back on here.

I'd estimate that TheCoolTV has been running on both 68.2 and 68.4 for about three to four weeks now. Seems weird to take up bandwidth with identical sub-channels, doesn't it?

Larry
Good to be back Larry, playing catch up. I would say your estimation is spot on, but I only noticed the PSIP change on .2 about a week ago. Seems very weird to me also.

·
Registered
989 Posts
antenna installer?

Does anybody have any suggestions for a local antenna installer in the mountain view area? Looking for somebody who can refurb a ~25 year old antenna install, ensuring proper grounding, installing one outlet in another room, possibly replacing damaged coax, & possibly replacing & relocating the antenna due to trees that have grown up in the LOS making the current placement particularly bad.

(I was asked for advice on TV antennas by a neighbor. Due to not wanting to crawl on the roof or under the house, all I know is that her ~30 year old, very nice VHF + UHF combo is delivering no signal according to a known-good USB TV tuner in my laptop. Getting her going could be as simple as replacing a cut coax line.. )

Thanks,

Drew

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Does anybody have any suggestions for a local antenna installer in the mountain view area?

Drew
There are two installers known to this list.

Google "antenna installers San Francisco CA"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dicks-antennas-san-jose

The other one which did my install did not get on TV like Dick, PM me for his phone number.

Both are in South San Jose and you will pay travel time and are not cheap.

SHF

Google "Mark Kisela Antenna Services", Mark appears to not have a Web Page.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Signals from Walnut Grove and Sonoma County are much stronger than usual this afternoon. Seldom seen KTFK 26 (virtual 64) was coming in a short while ago and KEMO is blasting in at 28 dB SNR.

Larry

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Signals from Walnut Grove and Sonoma County are much stronger than usual this afternoon. Seldom seen KTFK 26 (virtual 64) was coming in a short while ago and KEMO is blasting in at 28 dB SNR.

Larry
Yes but KPIX VC 5 RF 29 was sputtering at the end of the first half and twice during the third quarter. Just like the 49'ers. :eek:

The new stadium is green but a green screen for a few seconds?

I thought the blimp might be back, but:

The Zeppelin was disassembled and has been returned to her place of manufacture in Germany.
SHF

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Yeah, the 49ers were sputtering today. :) Interesting that you had problems with KPIX down your way while I was getting signals way better than normal. I didn't take notice of the levels on the South Bay stations (1, 14, 36, 48, 54) earlier, but often when signals from Walnut Grove are up, signals from the South Bay are down. Right now, at 6:30, Walnut Grove signals are still higher than normal and South Bay signals are at about normal levels. KAXT is just above the cliff edge, where it is about half the time.

At the present time, a thick low lying fog bank is hanging over Twin Peaks with the top of Sutro Tower poking through the top of it.

We'll have to see if any of the others out there in AVS-land think that humidity has anything to do with signal levels.

Larry

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Yeah, the 49ers were sputtering today. :) Interesting that you had problems with KPIX down your way while I was getting signals way better than normal. I didn't take notice of the levels on the South Bay stations (1, 14, 36, 48, 54) earlier, but often when signals from Walnut Grove are up, signals from the South Bay are down. Right now, at 6:30, Walnut Grove signals are still higher than normal and South Bay signals are at about normal levels. KAXT is just above the cliff edge, where it is about half the time.

At the present time, a thick low lying fog bank is hanging over Twin Peaks with the top of Sutro Tower poking through the top of it.

We'll have to see if any of the others out there in AVS-land think that humidity has anything to do with signal levels.

Larry
The periods of sputtering were 3-6 minutes in duration and spaced 20 - 30 minutes apart. Both MyHD which I was using to time-shift the game live and my HDHomeRun lights which were flashing at the same time were affected. That was why I thought about the blimp err zeppelin. It would leave Moffett Field and fly almost directly over head to Santa Cruz and then return directly over head back to Moffett Field. Slowly. :(

With so many tuners I record a back up with HDHR for sports I watch live using MyHD. When the gas line exploded I could switch away from the game and watch the coverage on other stations and pick the game up the next day. The games are scheduled automatically anyway.

As far as those who report signal strength, you are in a unique location at the source of the marine air that I saw one time landing at SFO. One (and the largest) streams heads toward Stockton (which sucks big time, the hot air in the central valley rises), one heads South hugging the hills to the East of me which I can see many evenings and one to the North. A three pronged fork. I wished I had a camera.

Weather, I do not think it was involved. Maybe a helicopter but I did not hear one.

SHF

·
Registered
440 Posts
Any of you all experiencing no reception on physical / virtual 8 (KSBW)?

It's typically one of my stronger gets here in Morgan Hill, but not as of this afternoon. I'm guessing the VHF side of the dual input preamp crapped-out, again.

Thanks for any input you might have...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Any of you all experiencing no reception on physical / virtual 8 (KSBW)?

It's typically one of my stronger gets here in Morgan Hill, but not as of this afternoon. I'm guessing the VHF side of the dual input preamp crapped-out, again.

Thanks for any input you might have...
KSBW is coming in great in Newman still.

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
Not a good start to GRIT TV programming. They are showing High Noon in a 16:9 aspect ratio with all the characters squished vertically ... Cooper looks 5' 5" tall! It's a 1.37 to 1 film and would fit perfectly into a 4 x 3 screen. or, if they had to, just go ahead and show it letterboxed within the 16:9 area.

Way to disrespect your product, Grit! Pathetic!

Show your displeasure with non-OAR and butchered OAR presentations here: [email protected]

EDIT: They followed up by showing Shane in the same fashion! Sad ....

ANOTHER EDIT (or is it IDIOT?): The sister station, 14.4, the Escape channel, is doing the exact same thing, only worse! They are showing a 4:3 version of a wide screen movie and then squishing it into a 16:9 box!!!!

And OTA programming managers wonder why they are failing on a regular basis?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Not a good start to GRIT TV programming. They are showing High Noon in a 16:9 aspect ratio with all the characters squished vertically ... Cooper looks 5' 5" tall! It's a 1.37 to 1 film and would fit perfectly into a 4 x 3 screen. or, if they had to, just go ahead and show it letterboxed within the 16:9 area.

Way to disrespect your product, Grit! Pathetic!

Show your displeasure here: [email protected]
I can top that!

As KCSM is no longer showing MHz International Mystery I must watch it streaming over the internet.

http://www.mhznetworks.org/mhz-worldview/live

On Saturdays Maigret is shown at 12 Noon.

There are Black columns on each side. Inside those there are White columns. Then the program is letterboxed, black bands top and bottom.

I think the original production was 16:9 and that appears to be the resulting aspect. :eek:

The worst part is that Maigret is a French production and MHz adds English subtitles which are now very hard to read even with my $4K+ new eyes.

My saving grace is that I converted many of the programs to MP4 for viewing in a nursing home in the future.

I guess that they just have a few DVD's left to sell (How they make their money) and Maigret is so well liked.

MHz International Mystery is in Summer reruns now with several programs I do not watch.

18:00 - 20:00 with repeat at 21:00-23:00

http://www.mhznetworks.org/schedule

SHF

·
Registered
440 Posts
KSBW is coming in great in Newman still.
KSBW is normal here this morning.

Chuck
Thank you both. Either the preamp is on the fritz (VHF side) or there was unique event yesterday in the area...

Currently, SNR is looking much better, fluctuating between 23.50 and 24+... It was usually higher, so not sure what to make of "this"...

Really surprised how good 5.1 (29) is right now, SNR 23-25. This channel and FOX (2.1 / 44) are the two "cliff" stations here...

Currently using a ClearStream 4, and just ordered the DB4-E, hoping that a little extra oomph will help better secure those two tough channels...

Thanks again.

EDIT / ADD: Spoke too soon... 2.1 and 5.1, serious degradation...

Believe it or not, better than our other home where we are still moving from. Our current spot for which I speak:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=ec2f44cdac3547

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
I can top that!

As KCSM is no longer showing MHz International Mystery I must watch it streaming over the internet.
Yeah, losing the MHz programming was a big blow in this household. I do not know what they were thinking by giving up these programs, to show programs that can be seen in the Bay Area on any of 5 separate PBS stations.

Frankly, I think they mismanaged the whole thing by how they introduced the programming, i.e. naming them Monday Night Mystery, Tuesday Night Mystery, etc. Then, after figuring out that the naming wasn't working, using only the regular names of the programs, but changing them out so often.

What they should have done was name them "MHz Mystery: " , that way it would be a simple DVR pass for "MHZ Mystery". You'd get everything, separated by named program, and never miss a show during the changeover from one to another. But, I guess that was too difficult a concept for those folks who have never programmed a DVR before, apparently.

Really a sad situation.

Oh, and I wouldn't broadcast the MP4 thing here, Big Brother is watching! That used to be a joke ... now, it's just reality.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Yeah, losing the MHz programming was a big blow in this household. I do not know what they were thinking by giving up these programs, to show programs that can be seen in the Bay Area on any of 5 separate PBS stations. ...
After watching "24 live another day" I came to another possible reason KCSM dropped MHz.

I see a board of directors meeting for the College of San Mateo.

One person stands up and says "We are showing WHAT on our TV station"?

The body count on 24 is huge but there is little blood and guts and the fights end quickly.

MHz International Mystery shows lots of blood and guts and much more violence, especially the Scandinavian programs.

One series appeared to be just violence after violence.

--------------------------------------
But the real reason is ANY MONEY spent on the TV station cannot be used for their students. They want that amount to get to zero quickly.

They built KCSM for their students, today the Internet is a much better method.

SHF

10961 - 10980 of 18971 Posts