AVS Forum banner

12521 - 12540 of 18881 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I see no sign of K02QX from San Jose here in San Francisco so far.

Larry

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Apparently Keith will have to go back to finish the channel 2 installation down in San Jose.

Yes, KEMO 50.1 and 50.2 are now continuously on the air from Sutro Tower.

Larry

·
Registered
274 Posts
We installed the antennas for K02QX-D San Jose RF channel 2 yesterday; however, I ran into a couple snags with the transmitter. It had a connector I never heard of called L27, and I couldn't upgrade FPGA code in the exciter to enable PSIP editing. Also, I ran out of half inch feedlinefor the receive antenna. I was going to instead run 3/8 inch LMR-400 but thought that since I have to go back I might as well get some LDF4-50 1/2 feed line.

Blessings,
Keith

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
We installed the antennas for K02QX-D San Jose RF channel 2 yesterday; however, I ran into a couple snags with the transmitter. It had a connector I never heard of called L27, and I couldn't upgrade FPGA code in the exciter to enable PSIP editing. Also, I ran out of half inch feedlinefor the receive antenna. I was going to instead run 3/8 inch LMR-400 but thought that since I have to go back I might as well get some LDF4-50 1/2 feed line.

Blessings,
Keith

Looks like a Chinese connector. Even Pasternack doesn't sell them. I hope you don't have to order an adapter from China. Maybe you can swap out the connector on the transmitter for an N connector.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
KOTR Tidbit

While playing around this morning with antennas I had on KBTV. At the end of a religious program they announced all the stations and times that their program was broadcast. One of the stations they listed was KOTR channel 11. Apparently it must still be on as a cable channel even though they have no OTA station. I didn't know a broadcast station could do this.

Chuck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks like a Chinese connector. Even Pasternack doesn't sell them. I hope you don't have to order an adapter from China. Maybe you can swap out the connector on the transmitter for an N connector.

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

The L27 female connector almost mates with a 7/16 DIN connector. If I put a little aluminum foil in the center conductor and put pressure on the connector to make contact on the outside, then it may work temporarily to mate it with a male 7/16 Din connector. I would be afraid, though, about burning up the amplifier. I just got confirmation about the shipment of the L27 male to N female adapter I ordered on eBay. However, it says it will take at least 10 busines days to get to me! Yikes. Maybe Anywave can send me one faster.
Blessings, Keith

Message from Chinaqualitygoods:
Hello Customer,

Thanks for you purchase from us.

We are glad to inform you that your package has been sent out.

It normally takes about

10-18 business days to USA(USA SHIPPING ITEM takes 2-5 business days to arrive in normal situation.)you can check it here https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Hi Chuck,

The L27 female connector almost mates with a 7/16 DIN connector. If I put a little aluminum foil in the center conductor and put pressure on the connector to make contact on the outside, then it may work temporarily to mate it with a male 7/16 Din connector. I would be afraid, though, about burning up the amplifier. I just got confirmation about the shipment of the L27 male to N female adapter I ordered on eBay. However, it says it will take at least 10 busines days to get to me! Yikes. Maybe Anywave can send me one faster.
Blessings, Keith
Hi Keith,

So you did get stuck ordering it from China. Bummer! The only adapters I could find were L27 to N female from China. You know it has to be unusual if Pasternack doesn't stock it.

This is why I thought it might be possible to replace the L27 panel mount on the transmitter with an N panel mount. I've bought several 75 ohm components off of Ebay; a switch, a step attenuator and some 50:75 ohm transformers. Some had 75 ohm BNCs for which there are no 75 ohm adapters, just cable connectors, and 75 ohm N connectors. I was able to buy F panel mount connectors from Pasternack and replace the BNC and N connectors. It worked out great. I only ran into one switch where to due to its construction prohibited replacement of the 75 ohm N's. I was forced to go with adapters.

73 - Chuck

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Here's an interesting observation...

Two of my antennas, the LP-345 and the S-15, were removed from my roof today so that the roofing company could put a new roof on our home. Both antennas went through a connecting barrel connector, so the roofers disconnected the coax at these points. After the roof work is done we can easily put the antennas back up and reconnect the coax in the same place.

What I find interesting is that with no antenna connected, just the length of coax from the roof to the TV is enough to give me perfect reception on all 12 Sutro stations. I'm getting better signal quality reports, but weaker signal strength on the HD Home Run readings, but the signals are rock solid. Apparently I'm getting nice direct signals and no multipath. I'm getting absolutely no signal from the Mt. San Bruno stations on these two lengths of coax.

By the way, when the LP-345 and S-15 are put back up, I'm replacing one of my CM4228's with a new Antennas Direct 91XG antenna. Hopefully it will help pull in the more distant signals better. I'll let you know how much better it is.

Larry

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
What I find interesting is that with no antenna connected, just the length of coax from the roof to the TV is enough to give me perfect reception on all 12 Sutro stations. I'm getting better signal quality reports, but weaker signal strength on the HD Home Run readings, but the signals are rock solid. Apparently I'm getting nice direct signals and no multipath. I'm getting absolutely no signal from the Mt. San Bruno stations on these two lengths of coax.
This should not happen with a piece of coax but I suspect I know what is happening. I know you have a number of switches in your system. Switches have leakage. Perhaps the signal is leaking through from one of your other antennas that is still connected. I can receive a couple of UHF stations through the coax switch I use at the TV when it is switched to the other port.

You can test this by connecting the open piece of coax to your TV directly. You should receive nothing.

If the isolation is poor then the unwanted signals could be interfering with the main signals.

I have a coax switch for the main antennas and the back-up antennas located at the tower but I have the switch isolation plus the preamp isolation with power off to keep the total isolation very high.

Chuck

·
Registered
401 Posts
While playing around this morning with antennas I had on KBTV. At the end of a religious program they announced all the stations and times that their program was broadcast. One of the stations they listed was KOTR channel 11. Apparently it must still be on as a cable channel even though they have no OTA station. I didn't know a broadcast station could do this.
Channel 60, the College of San Mateo eductational
station loosely affiliated with PBS, did this for a few
years when their transmitter broke and they couldn't
afford to fix it. They came back on the air at the time of
the digital transition.

They did get into fights over the strict interpretation of
the "must-carry" rule with the cable companies...

--
maxreactance

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Channel 60, the College of San Mateo eductational
station loosely affiliated with PBS, did this for a few
years when their transmitter broke and they couldn't
afford to fix it. They came back on the air at the time of
the digital transition.

They did get into fights over the strict interpretation of
the "must-carry" rule with the cable companies...

--
maxreactance
Do you have the years they were off the air?

I watched KCSM a lot prior to the analog shutdown and do not remember any long periods of "transmitter broke" except for the period when they were thrown off San Bruno by KNTV.

They were on Sutro in Digital mode all the time. No analog signal was why I purchased my first ATSC tuner card which is still in use, even 5 minutes ago.

See my words about this:

ABC, NBC follies post
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/381623-official-avs-antenna-related-hardware-topic-465.html#post20661061

SHF

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You can test this by connecting the open piece of coax to your TV directly. You should receive nothing.
Chuck
I tried that and I get a few weak signals but nothing strong enough to produce a picture. I didn't realize that these switches were so "leaky".

I received my new 91XG antenna today. After assembling it I took it out to the back yard, mounted it to a 5 foot mast and tied it to the fence. I was very pleased with the results! From eye level it was able to get 31+ dB from all Sutro stations, 25+ dB from Mt. San Bruno (even VHF channel 12 gave me a solid picture) and I received a 20 dB signal from KTLN 68 in Novato. I saw signals from the South Bay and Mt. Diablo, but they were below the cliff edge. If it works that well that low, I think I'm going to be very happy with the results when it's up at 40 above ground.

Larry

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Do you have the years they were off the air?

I watched KCSM a lot prior to the analog shutdown and do not remember any long periods of "transmitter broke" except for the period when they were thrown off San Bruno by KNTV.

SHF
To correct the record.... KCSM wasn't thrown off of Mt. San Bruno by KNTV. Their lease came up for renewal with American Tower Company, the ones that own most of the facilities up there, and American Tower wanted a lease for a 10 year minimum. That was way more than the time KCSM would be there, so they decided not to renew and to move their analog operation to the College of San Mateo campus. American Tower then leased the KCSM site to KNTV.

Larry

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
To correct the record.... KCSM wasn't thrown off of Mt. San Bruno by KNTV. Their lease came up for renewal with American Tower Company, the ones that own most of the facilities up there, and American Tower wanted a lease for a 10 year minimum. That was way more than the time KCSM would be there, so they decided not to renew and to move their analog operation to the College of San Mateo campus. American Tower then leased the KCSM site to KNTV.

Larry
Thanks for the correction, who wrote the incorrect description I have no memory of. But the FCC won in the end, KCSM put a RF 60 analog station back on the air. That post by the station engineer some where in the past is still in the [HDTV-in-SFbay] archives. EDIT:They did have a long period with no analog RF 60 signal and when the analog RF 60 reappeared you had to be IN San Mateo to receive it. KSCM also lost to the FCC and could not use VC 43 they wanted.

I did find this about early San Francisco TV, way too much detail to all be right and too much to read just once.

Pending approval of the transfer, BAETA renamed itself KQED, Inc. and filed a request to swap the KQEC channel 60 non-commercial allocation for the commercial one on channel 32 (which was actually approved six months after KQEC went on the air).
http://www.uhftelevision.com/articles/kqec.html

And this about KCSM dropping MHz. 7 days a week 6PM for two hours and 12 Noon Sat and Sun for two hours I am now tied to watching MHz streaming.

KCSM-TV discontinues MHz programming, citing FCC regulations Current.org
http://current.org/2014/07/kcsm-tv-discontinues-mhz-programming-citing-fcc-regulations/

I do not buy that and am sticking to "We are showing WHAT on our TV station" being said in a CSM Board of Directors meeting.

(24 with blood and grievous bodily harm shown, Nordic countries are the worst.)

SHF

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I tried that and I get a few weak signals but nothing strong enough to produce a picture. I didn't realize that these switches were so "leaky".

I received my new 91XG antenna today. After assembling it I took it out to the back yard, mounted it to a 5 foot mast and tied it to the fence. I was very pleased with the results! From eye level it was able to get 31+ dB from all Sutro stations, 25+ dB from Mt. San Bruno (even VHF channel 12 gave me a solid picture) and I received a 20 dB signal from KTLN 68 in Novato. I saw signals from the South Bay and Mt. Diablo, but they were below the cliff edge. If it works that well that low, I think I'm going to be very happy with the results when it's up at 40 above ground.

Larry

Interesting. You can keep that in mind when the 91XG goes up. If it no longer produces high SNRs then blame it on the switches.

Chuck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting. You can keep that in mind when the 91XG goes up. If it no longer produces high SNRs then blame it on the switches.

Chuck
The FCC post the filings each Sunday - Thursday on the CDBS site. They are changing to a new TV/AM/FM database. The CDBS can be checked at about 9:15 PM on those days. Then you can check back at the end of the business day to see all of the grants.
http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_sear.htm

The KEMO is showing up with a date search of today.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
The FCC post the filings each Sunday - Thursday on the CDBS site. They are changing to a new TV/AM/FM database. The CDBS can be checked at about 9:15 PM on those days. Then you can check back at the end of the business day to see all of the grants.
http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_sear.htm

The KEMO is showing up with a date search of today.

That form doesn't allow you to search by date. You need to know the station. This one does:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_sear.htm

As of 10pm PDT KEMO is not showing up.

Chuck

12521 - 12540 of 18881 Posts