AVS Forum banner

18521 - 18540 of 18882 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I've lost or intermittently poor reception on the following:

KRON - intermittently good reception (Final configuration)
KPIX - occasionally poor reception (Appears to be on Aux antenna and half power)
KQRQ - intermittently poor reception (KQRO?? Unchanged)
KPJK - intermittently poor reception / lost reception (Final configuration)
KKPX - totally lost (Final configuration)

Been through some changing weather patterns lately (Fall is back this week). Also noticed that sometimes reception as a whole is better in the wee hours of the morning.
So environmental conditions may be affecting reception.

Sounds like you're relying on some ducting. The time to judge your reception is in the mid afternoon when there's no ducting.

What and where is your antenna?

My questions:

1) Are the engineers still making tweaks to optimize reception in the SF Bay Area? If so are the game plans for the tweaks made public?

2) Is the effort to tweak broadcast signals coordinated to avoid interference? (term I've read on the forum in "multi-path interference)

3) When can we expect the broadcast situation to be stable? Don't really want to invest in and new technology or fiddle with my antenna until then. Wait for an ETA date for Phase 9?

Phase 9 is complete. All stations have moved but some are not on their final antennas or final power. Multipath has to do with your reception. The stations cannot control this.

I added my comments to your station list above.

Chuck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting... KGO-TV is on both RF7 and RF35...

On my TiVo tuner, both channels show up as different versions of "Channel 7". I like this since I am just used to having ABC on Channel 7. I can select either or both feeds, and they show up in my guide and my channel lineup under "7".

However, on my SmartTV tuner, KGO on 7 shows up on the channel line up and guide as 7... And KGO on 35 shows up on the channel line up and guide as 35...

Odd that they are handled so differently... I would have thought that the virtual channel designation would always be used by all tuners... Probably just odd to me, not to everyone here...

I'll have to check my other SmartTV set to see how it handles this situation... Does anyone know which is more prevalent?
Yeah, these SmartTVs are only partially smart :) They are actually dumb in my book. I use (still) Windows Media Center, and it's smart enough to know that for 2.x 7.x, I have two RF sources, but 11.x is weirder. If you use kSTS's RF, they are on 11.3 and 11.4. If you use KNTV's RF, they are on 11.1 and 11.2. Yet, Windows Media Center is smart enough to map everything correctly, which is really surprising to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The problem with K15CU is that its antenna is very narrow and aimed at Salinas. It has just 5 watts ERP towards Santa Cruz. KSBY has nearly the full 1000KW pointed to Santa Cruz but it's 135 miles away. You must be on a mountaintop because there's a big mountain blocking the path to KSBY. It should not be receivable that far away.

Chuck
Yes, I am at 500ft on ridge-top in Santa Cruz and can see Mt Toro which is within a few degrees of KSBY. I am running just an 8bay bowtie aimed roughly toward Salinas. I never thought it critical until now. I will try aiming it to the East (left) slightly of Fremont Pk so as not to loose the weak Mt Toro stations (24 degress to the right of Fremont), and maybe attenuate KSBY.
The other issue is depending on where on Fremont the K15CU antenna is, the actual Peak of Fremont Peak blocks Santa Cruz! Does anyone know which tower, and how high they are?
KeithT

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Anyone? Do I need to rescan again? I always get all the Channel 4 channels and now nothing??

bob
I'm too far away to reliably receive it, but on my spectrum analyzer I can see that KRON is indeed transmitting (on RF 7). I take it you're not having any trouble with KGO or KNTV?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What and where is your antenna?

Chuck

I appreciate the reply Chuck !

Please don't chide the newbie....

The antenna :

Search on amazon for "B07VRKM2C8" since I cannot post links as a newbie.

Wanted an inexpensive indoor antenna and not a fan of lawn chairs (no climbing up on a 2nd story roof for me :eeksurprise::eeksurprise:.) Worked well a month prior to the re-pack so I didn't return it.

This sits on a tall book case on my 2nd floor.

Nearest major cross street is :

Fruitdale and Sherman Oaks San Jose, CA

Encouraged that they are still working on the power and final antennas - hoping for an improvement...

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wow, that amazon page is full of red flags and should be taken down for violating their TOS:
- Graphics claiming to get channels that are not available OTA like NBA TV, ESPN, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Freeform
- Claiming to get "Full HD 1080p" over the air
- Claiming to get "4K Ultra HD" over the air, without an ATSC 3.0 related disclaimer
- Bogus distance claims like "120 mile range"

Despite the claims, that antenna is not designed for optimal VHF reception, post repack KRON is now only on VHF 7, the other VHF stations like KGO have UHF repeaters that you're probably getting instead of their VHF signals.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'm too far away to reliably receive it, but on my spectrum analyzer I can see that KRON is indeed transmitting (on RF 7). I take it you're not having any trouble with KGO or KNTV?
All 7 and 11 channels loud and clear. I did a rescan and I'm getting KRON very weak and pixelated. Are they all the same VHF, UHF? I have the channel master "cyclone fence" antenna. KRON always came in before and I'm pretty sure after the re assignment but not positive on that.

bob

·
Registered
754 Posts
KRON is only on RF 7 from the Sutro tower, being at the bottom of VHF-Hi means antennas that claim VHF coverage, but are really mostly optimized for UHF reception, have problems with it.

KGO (ABC) is on RF 12 from the Sutro tower, but they also have a low power repeater on RF 35 from Mount Allison that your tuner possibly picked up instead.

KNTV (NBC) is on RF 13 from Mount San Bruno, but they are simulcasted via 11.3 and 11.4 on Telemundo's RF 19 signal from Mount Allison.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Wanted an inexpensive indoor antenna and not a fan of lawn chairs (no climbing up on a 2nd story roof for me :eeksurprise::eeksurprise:.) Worked well a month prior to the re-pack so I didn't return it.
Encouraged that they are still working on the power and final antennas - hoping for an improvement...

If you're not willing to change anything, nothing is going to change.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
All 7 and 11 channels loud and clear. I did a rescan and I'm getting KRON very weak and pixelated. Are they all the same VHF, UHF? I have the channel master "cyclone fence" antenna. KRON always came in before and I'm pretty sure after the re assignment but not positive on that.

bob
Based on that, coupled with what KyL416 said, I’d wager that you don’t have much in the way of VHF reception, and are picking up KGO and KNTV from their UHF counterparts. KRON was on RF channel 38 prior to the repack — they’re now on RF channel 7. Where are you located and what kind of antenna do you have?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Based on that, coupled with what KyL416 said, I’d wager that you don’t have much in the way of VHF reception, and are picking up KGO and KNTV from their UHF counterparts. KRON was on RF channel 38 prior to the repack — they’re now on RF channel 7. Where are you located and what kind of antenna do you have?
Thanks, 95127 san jose, 150 ' ASL. Channel Master Square grid antenna, forget the model. I think you guys told me before that it s UHF only?

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=90755

bob

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thanks, 95127 san jose, 150 ' ASL. Channel Master Square grid antenna, forget the model. I think you guys told me before that it s UHF only?

bob
I defer to Chuck (Calaveras) on antenna matters — he may have some ideas on that. In San Jose though, it now seems almost certain that your reception of KGO and KNTV are from Mt. Allison, not Sutro or San Bruno.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wanted an inexpensive indoor antenna and not a fan of lawn chairs (no climbing up on a 2nd story roof for me :eeksurprise::eeksurprise:.) Worked well a month prior to the re-pack so I didn't return

Wow, never seen that type of antenna before.
Unfortunately, as recently as the past 5 years, the market has been flooded with imported junk.
With no track record of performance.

Compounded with fake online reviews, and marketing buzzwords such as HD, 1080, digital, etc.
Clear tv key, Leaf antennas, and other clever names.

You can find similar antenna models on craigslist for free to 25 bucks.
They are on craigslist simply because they don't work.

What to look for in any antenna .....METAL not plastic.
I will guess, inside that plastic case is tin foil for reception.
The same kind you have in your kitchen.

For indoor antennas, the GODAR model 1 is made of metal & engineered for UHF - VHF
Not saying indoor antennas work in all areas but that
would be the golden standard as far as indoor models go. They are hard to get, and hand made in the USA

Or, simply build your own, plenty of online instructions,
Excellent youtube videos on build your own models.
They surpass performance compared to the imported junk models.... At half the cost.
There is no testing standard for indoor antennas, so the market is wide open & anything goes.
Working or not, >> its for sale.
Including models that claim 250 + miles.

Don't expect the tv stations work to enhance that antenna to performance status.
Every channel should come in right now.

·
Registered
83 Posts

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=90755

bob
It'll depend on which Channel Master you have. The CM4228HD actually does pretty well on Hi-VHF, though the smaller CM variants not so much (they're really UHF).

There's some comparisons of Hi-VHF on a few antennas at

http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparisons/N-Bay_VHF_Shootout.htm

From your location I'd image that the Fremont repeaters would work best (for those stations with repeaters), though I'd think you'd still get a quite usable signal for KRON on RF 7 if you have a CM4228. I had one in Santa Clara (old quad neighborhood) that picked up KGO quite well when it was on RF 7, better than it got RF 35 from Mt. Allison.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It'll depend on which Channel Master you have. The CM4228HD actually does pretty well on Hi-VHF, though the smaller CM variants not so much (they're really UHF).

There's some comparisons of Hi-VHF on a few antennas at

http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparisons/N-Bay_VHF_Shootout.htm

From your location I'd image that the Fremont repeaters would work best (for those stations with repeaters), though I'd think you'd still get a quite usable signal for KRON on RF 7 if you have a CM4228. I had one in Santa Clara (old quad neighborhood) that picked up KGO quite well when it was on RF 7, better than it got RF 35 from Mt. Allison.
Yes, that's my antenna. Could it need re pointing even tho I'm getting 131 channels?

bob

bob

18521 - 18540 of 18882 Posts