AVS Forum banner

18541 - 18560 of 18883 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yes, that's my antenna. Could it need re pointing even tho I'm getting 131 channels?

bob

bob
Are you missing any channels you have to have? If not leave it alone, you're doing fine.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
PS Any idea when TVFool is going to "get with the RePack"?
KeithT
I think TVFool is is a thing of the past. It's now totally useless and I don't expect it to be updated. The data is three years old, and with the re-pack channel changes, its completely useless. It was great while it was kept current, but the owner gave up on it. Use the reception reports on rabbitears: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
The antenna :

Search on amazon for "B07VRKM2C8" since I cannot post links as a newbie.

Wanted an inexpensive indoor antenna and not a fan of lawn chairs (no climbing up on a 2nd story roof for me :eeksurprise::eeksurprise:.) Worked well a month prior to the re-pack so I didn't return it.

This sits on a tall book case on my 2nd floor.

Nearest major cross street is : Fruitdale and Sherman Oaks San Jose, CA

Here's your Rabbitears report for the above cross streets:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=90942

Unless you're willing to put up an outdoor antenna there's nothing I can recommend. San Jose is not indoor antenna territory for Sutro Tower. You were lucky before but not as much now. You can try moving the antenna to different indoor location and see if you can get lucky again. You are probably receiving KGO and KNTV from their Fremont Transmitters on UHF (13 miles), not their VHF channels (42 miles).

The current ATSC system was not designed for any indoor antennas anywhere. An attic antenna is a step down from an outdoor antenna and an indoor antenna is a step down from an attic antenna. You are severely disadvantaged.

It's not realistic to expect to receive every channel in your area with your antenna and you should be happy with whatever you can receive.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I'd like to have KRON but it's not a priority. More curious why I'm not getting it while I'm getting similar stations from the same tower.

bob

I think I'm just repeating what others have said but.......

KRON was on RF 38 UHF before the repack. KRON is now on RF 7 VHF. The gain plots I've seen for your antenna (or very similar antennas) show it to be very poor on RF 7. You'd likely receive KRON if you add a VHF antenna. I know I'm a broken record with this, but if you want reliable reception on VHF, you need a VHF antenna, not a UHF antenna that just happens to not be completely dead on high VHF and you hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I think TVFool is is a thing of the past. It's now totally useless and I don't expect it to be updated. The data is three years old, and with the re-pack channel changes, its completely useless. It was great while it was kept current, but the owner gave up on it. Use the reception reports on rabbitears: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

It's too bad the TV Fool torch wasn't passed onto someone else. There must be someone else with the interest and expertise to carry it forward. Fortunately we have Trip with both to continue the tradition with an excellent new and fully supported tool.

Chuck

·
Registered
446 Posts
For the record, there's also the NAB's Antennaweb:

https://antennaweb.org/

Although it provides much less information in its results than Trip's site does. It also uses an odd coloring scheme where yellow represents stations that are easier to receive than green ones.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I'd like to have KRON but it's not a priority. More curious why I'm not getting it while I'm getting similar stations from the same tower.
The answer may lie in the definition of "similar stations." The only ones that I would put in that category are KGO (RF 12) and KNTV (RF13), as they're both high-VHF stations, with similar power at a similar distance. The best way to verify this would be to determine if you are actually receiving these from Sutro and Mt. San Bruno respectively on RF 12 and 13, or on RF 35 and RF 19 from a much closer tower. Do you have a way to determine the actual RF channel that's being received?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
The answer may lie in the definition of "similar stations." The only ones that I would put in that category are KGO (RF 12) and KNTV (RF13), as they're both high-VHF stations, with similar power at a similar distance. The best way to verify this would be to determine if you are actually receiving these from Sutro and Mt. San Bruno respectively on RF 12 and 13, or on RF 35 and RF 19 from a much closer tower. Do you have a way to determine the actual RF channel that's being received?
I don't think so. DirecTv built in tuner and LG Oled built in tuner. But, I see now that it is related to the change and my antenna isn't designed for the rescan changes.

bob

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I think I'm just repeating what others have said but.......

KRON was on RF 38 UHF before the repack. KRON is now on RF 7 VHF. The gain plots I've seen for your antenna (or very similar antennas) show it to be very poor on RF 7. You'd likely receive KRON if you add a VHF antenna. I know I'm a broken record with this, but if you want reliable reception on VHF, you need a VHF antenna, not a UHF antenna that just happens to not be completely dead on high VHF and you hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Chuck
Finally got it! :)

Thanks, Chuck

bob

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Larry, I nominate you to bring back TVFool to a quality and up-to-date site.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Larry, I nominate you to bring back TVFool to a quality and up-to-date site.
Thank you for your vote of confidence, but no thanks. Taking care of my own TV listings is enough without adding the TV Fool complexity to the equation. Plus I wouldn't know where to even get started on a project like that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looks like RF UHF channels 38, 39, & 40 are now lit up by the internet companies here.
That didn't take long.
As noticed on the spectrum analyzer today.

On another note, it is super windy here today.
That means viewers using indoor UHF antennas probably won't work too well.
Or if they barely work on calm days.
No chance today.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like RF UHF channels 38, 39, & 40 are now lit up by the internet companies here.
That didn't take long.

No chance today.
Interesting... I had no idea that indoor UHF antennas were negatively impacted by the wind... Good to know...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Interesting... I had no idea that indoor UHF antennas were negatively impacted by the wind... Good to know...
Actually all the UHF antennas are affected when trees blow around. And create dynamic multipath.

Indoor antennas usually have only one UHF element.
An outdoor model may have 50 elements.
So the impact is lessened to that degree.
50 is better than 1

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
That didn't take long.

In Mountain View with an inside antenna.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
No chance today.

Where did this come from? Wind has absolutely no effect on reception. If it did OTA would be useless here. Winds of 20-40 mph are common here in the spring. I've never seen one iota of difference between a light wind day and a high wind day.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So this video I linked below was posted online with examples of KRCR-tv 7 & KIXE-tv 9 in the Chico area.
Both stations have VHF & UHF transmitters.

I have noticed the same problem with some UHF stations on very windy days.
I will guess that trees within 300 feet of the UHF Antenna cause this problem. Normally not a problem with a normal breeze, but when the trees forcefully move back & forth in the wind. The same thing happens as seen in this video.
This older video also has an analog UHF channel that shows what tree movement outside does to the picture.
Enjoy.

18541 - 18560 of 18883 Posts