AVS Forum banner

18721 - 18740 of 18878 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'll have a signal strength of 80 out of 100 and the signal will drop out. It seems the signal strengths are fluctuating. This was not happening before.

First of all, if you want advice post your location, antenna model, height and Rabbitears report. It sounds like you're describing multipath, which has always been a problem in the hilly bay area - before and after the repack.

If you're noticing it now and didn't before most likely that just means you had a marginal setup, and ended up on the wrong side of marginal. Everybody is still watching TV after the repack, you won't be surprised to hear. So post up and we'll probably tell you to get a proper directional antenna, which is the only practical way to address this.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I don't believe it is my antenna, fine before but not now. I think there is something else going on (something has changed) causing my problem. Reception does seem to be better at night. It seems like I should put up a $150 antenna (and that isn't the half of it as I'll need someone to go up on my second story roof to change it) then I'll be fine but I ain't buying it. :) I think that stations should be concerned that people are having problems now that they weren't having before. Just another push toward streaming.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I don't believe it is my antenna, fine before but not now. I think there is something else going on causing my problem. Reception does seem to be better at night. It seems like I should put up a $150 antenna then I'll be fine but I ain't buying it. :) I think that stations should be concerned that people are having problems now that they weren't having before. Just another push toward streaming.

You'll have to do something if you want to watch TV, don't you think? Exactly what "else going on" could there be? We're all watching TV, but it can't be you, has to be the transmitters? Guess you just came here to vent, let us know how that works out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't believe it is my antenna, fine before but not now. I think there is something else going on (something has changed) causing my problem. Reception does seem to be better at night. It seems like I should put up a $150 antenna (and that isn't the half of it as I'll need someone to go up on my second story roof to change it) then I'll be fine but I ain't buying it. :) I think that stations should be concerned that people are having problems now that they weren't having before. Just another push toward streaming.
With digital, it is hard to know what might be happening, Multipath, local interference, TOO much pre-amp gain etc.
Experiment with another complete setup, maybe a little away from your house.
If it is the station, lots of others would (will) report the same and I will be figured out. (Like K15CU-D in the Monterey/Salinas pixelates not only on my setup, but also on my friends, and another, both in different cities, I have sent them a report).
KeithT

·
Registered
6,315 Posts

I can assure you that there are no conspiracies going on at the stations to get you to stream your programming. It's much more likely that trees leafing out which roughly corresponded to Phase 9 of the repack is your problem. Trees grow. What was good enough last year might not be good enough this year. Or maybe something has degraded on your antenna and it needs some service.

Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picking up Antenna TV here in the Almaden Valley via Channel 4.5 with a very strong signal. I understand the channel went live 2 days ago. Thanks KRON for making the new addition. :)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I can assure you that there are no conspiracies going on at the stations to get you to stream your programming. It's much more likely that trees leafing out which roughly corresponded to Phase 9 of the repack is your problem. Trees grow. What was good enough last year might not be good enough this year. Or maybe something has degraded on your antenna and it needs some service.

Chuck
I'm not suggesting a conspiracy. It just seems like for the average person getting OTA can be a problem. I put up a good antenna that was just fine and now I have problems. Hoping for a solution that didn't require me to put up another antenna. Oh well, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Oh well, thanks anyway.

The average person is getting OTA, given a setup appropriate for their individual conditions. Conditions about which you have provided zero information; no physical location or anything else, just a "good antenna". You keep typing, asking for help, but not saying a thing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not suggesting a conspiracy. It just seems like for the average person getting OTA can be a problem. I put up a good antenna that was just fine and now I have problems. Hoping for a solution that didn't require me to put up another antenna. Oh well, thanks anyway.

The gain on my AD 91 XG antenna better on high channels.
After repack stations move to lower channels.

I'm in a marginal situation. What was ok before repack not working after repack.
I'm re-evaluating my antenna setup post repack.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The gain on my AD 91 XG antenna better on high channels.
After repack stations move to lower channels.

I'm in a marginal situation. What was ok before repack not working after repack.
I'm re-evaluating my antenna setup post repack.

That is what the XB16A is made for, just add the cost of shipping from the UK. :(

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
The average person is getting OTA, given a setup appropriate for their individual conditions. Conditions about which you have provided zero information; no physical location or anything else, just a "good antenna". You keep typing, asking for help, but not saying a thing.:rolleyes:
I was not looking for what to do on my end. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don't believe it is my antenna, fine before but not now. I think there is something else going on (something has changed) causing my problem. .
Most of the issues I've experienced were relatively simple fixes.
Although finding the problem(s) can take months or longer.

Simple things such as placing a cell phone next to the tv can cause problems.
Also the wifi, etc.
LED & compact fluorescent light bulbs can cause issues.
Especially an end of life fluorescent with blackened ends. Bad ballasts that are electronic.
Or equipment at a neighbors residence causing a problem.

The quality of LED light bulbs is so bad, I have made numerous returns due to early failure.
Hot burning bases with burnt plastic smell.
You name it.

Even your antenna cable itself can cause issues.

I have seen no problems with the re-pack channels, but new channel positions & minimal signal changes.
Some channels are 10% weaker.
Another case (KRCB) signal is 90% stronger.

Ben

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well, the news of Antenna TV joining the options on channel 4.x prompted me to experiment a bit more with my reception, which up to this point has not included RF 7. Oddly enough, by altering the vhf portion of my antenna to vertical, I was able to receive this station. Horizontal orientation got me nothing! Don't get it, but not looking a gift horse in the mouth ...
You're looking to get antenna tv? Look at the logo. The "rabbit ears" are not horizontal. The vast majority of these antennas ever used have not been used horizontally. Why? Perhaps, the people using them wanted to be able to aim them for different directions. Imagine a nice horizontal aim to the east or west, but also needing a north south option. However, the tv's only a few inches from a wall. There's no vcrs or dvrs, so recording is a non-factor. What do you do? You raise the "rabbit ears". They take up less space that way. Just adding multipath etc. into the reception equation can throw proven science (horizontal dipoles) out. Congrats RayGuy. I hope the reception lasts. After the transition, I had better VHF reception from a Silver Sensor by tipping it upward. In Europe, they had similar antennas to the Silver Sensor designed in an upward fashion at the time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I went through an analysis exercise and created an Excel spreadsheet to track the info... I've attached it to this post for your review and comment... :)
Very interesting, thanks!

FYI, I verified with KQED that the information on their Transmitter Status page is current despite their being no posting date on it:

https://www.kqed.org/about/transmitter-status/

So that explains why the nominally higher-power KQED isn't coming in as strongly as KPJK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Transmitter Status Info Transparancy

FYI, I verified with KQED that the information on their Transmitter Status page is current despite their being no posting date on it:

So that explains why the nominally higher-power KQED isn't coming in as strongly as KPJK.

wintertime - Thanks for the info!

Chuck

Transmitter status (current and planned) would be useful information, before we try to adjust or upgrade receiving equipment. I don't believe transmission issues are a conspiracy, but a lack of transparency and communications of the transmitter's operations / problems. It would help if this info was more readily available and had timely updates. Info published on this forum is helpful, but is inconsistent, hard to wade through and evaluate.

I've been using using :

https://sfbayatsc.koherence.com/index.php/signal-data-charts/

to try to determine the the status of transmissions , but I have been confounded info (probably my ignorance and understanding - I'm still in learning mode).

Looking at KQED , I can't see the difference between the full/half power change for Fri/Sat this week...

Maybe I'm taking the wrong slice in time because the change is not always scheduled accurately? Also pretty sure some of the discrepancies are based of our own location , equipment , etc. , so mileage-may-vary between our results and what we see on Koherence.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,315 Posts

Their Status page says they're running half power on weekdays. That sounds like a big difference but it's only 3 dB. That's roughly the same power KPJK runs all the time. If you receive KPJK fine then you should also receive KQED fine. If you're having trouble with KQED when they're running 3 dB less power then that says you have a 3 dB or less Noise Margin. That's a razor thin margin and is unlikely to ever be reliable. A Noise Margin of 10-20 dB is normally considered necessary for reliable reception.

Nobody in the Bay Area should be having trouble receiving a 500KW station unless your location or antenna system is severely compromised.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I've been using using :

https://sfbayatsc.koherence.com/index.php/signal-data-charts/

Looking at KQED , I can't see the difference between the full/half power change for Fri/Sat this week...

It would be nice if the Y-axis was labeled. Do you know what the scales are for the various statistics? When I went to the page and turned everything off on KQED except for Signal Strength, I saw Signal Strength as a straight line at the top. I'm guessing that once Signal Strength reaches a predetermined level that it is assigned 100% and everything stronger is still 100%. Not very helpful when you have a strong station. If this is what's happening, then it's no surprise that a 3 dB difference in KQED signal strength is still 100%.

Chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
KAAP Virtual 24.x finally scanned....

Surprised my tablo 4-tuner finally was able to scan KAAP 24.x with a "signal" indicator of 5-out-of-5 dots (not really sure what that means except the more dots the better). The channel was lost after the repack and I have done some antenna adjustments after the repack to reacquire the channels I lost post repack. Perhaps ducting pulled it in for me in the last couple of days.

Strangely their sub channel 24-9 Country (virtual) is giving me a "weak signal" error on tuner, but 24-7 Newsnet is fine.

Receiving almost all the channels that I care about now and more than I want for almost a couple of weeks . Had to direct my antenna almost 45 deg off of the direction to Sutro (I use an indoor "flat antenna" in San Jose and the window I have the antenna is pointed almost perfectly at Sutro).

Had to jury rig a different mounting for it:

No , I didn't spray-paint my window , just photo-shopped a bit to protect privacy.

Hopefully this will only be a temporary situation because it looks a bit like hill-billy engineering :)....

I want to keep I this way until I am confident things are more stable (after Phase 10 changes ?).

Attachments

18721 - 18740 of 18878 Posts