AVS Forum banner

18941 - 18960 of 18971 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just noticed Fun Roads on VC 24.4 (KAAP frequency).

Is this new? Or has it always been there and I didn't notice? (maybe it had a different label before)
Definitely new! There is one more thing I am certain in life besides tax and death, and that's KAAP changes their lineup every 2 months or so... Fun Roads is/was on KOFY RF21.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Fun Roads offers a lot of travel programs as an alternative to the dramas, westerns, and sitcoms seen on other sub-channels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was output of RF13 boosted or antenna optimized recently? I am getting a very reliable RF13 down in San Jose now. Had to rely on RF19 to get NBC but now getting both.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Was output of RF13 boosted or antenna optimized recently? I am getting a very reliable RF13 down in San Jose now. Had to rely on RF19 to get NBC but now getting both.
KNTV has not made any changes in the last month. You can check the FCC LMS for any applications submitted by any station. Stations cannot make changes without FCC approval.

KNTV already runs 95KW which is high power for a high VHF station. Any power increase is extremely unlikely.

Chuck

·
Registered
51 Posts
KQSL Channel 17 is back on for me at 19db after three weeks of being down.

I’m glad my VHF antenna wasn’t the problem. I don’t need another busted antenna on the roof.

Still unclear on what caused the outage. I haven’t touched the antenna or the connections in quite a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
KNTV has not made any changes in the last month. You can check the FCC LMS for any applications submitted by any station. Stations cannot make changes without FCC approval.

KNTV already runs 95KW which is high power for a high VHF station. Any power increase is extremely unlikely.

Chuck
Same antenna same optimal position for months since the repack and I am getting solid KNTV signal from couldn't even get a lock. I have a tuner/demod dev board and my logs indicate a notable jump in signal level.

I doubt it's the atmospheric inversion of the current heat. I am getting decent signal throughout the day and variations from time of day and temperature are minimal. Even KKPX is doing better (more consistent).

Can you completely rule out no work of any sort being done at the San Bruno sites?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Same antenna same optimal position for months since the repack and I am getting solid KNTV signal from couldn't even get a lock. I have a tuner/demod dev board and my logs indicate a notable jump in signal level.

Can you completely rule out no work of any sort being done at the San Bruno sites?
They do have a license for an auxiliary transmitter on a different antenna slightly lower with 1.2 dB more power. It's possible they could be on that transmitter. No FCC notification would be necessary. We know that Sutro stations do that all the time. If that's the case then eventually they'll switch back to the primary antenna and you'll lose it again. I agree that atmospheric conditions are unlikely to remain stable 24 hours a day for days allowing you to receive a station that was previously not possible to receive at all. Although your "optimal antenna position" may be optimal for one transmitter site (Sutro Tower), it would be a stroke of luck to be optimal for multiple transmitter sites.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
From Sutro Tower:

The work required during this maintenance cycle has been completed early. Weather and air quality were both good and that allowed the crew to work with greater efficiency. We currently do not have any scheduled periods of auxiliary antenna usage.

Please contact me by email if you have any questions.

Stay Healthy.

Raul A. Velez
VP & COO
Sutro Tower Inc.
[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
KQSL Channel 17 is back on for me at 19db after three weeks of being down.

I’m glad my VHF antenna wasn’t the problem. I don’t need another busted antenna on the roof.

Still unclear on what caused the outage. I haven’t touched the antenna or the connections in quite a while.
I never noticed a full day offed recently except the severe interference will always come in at 6PM at night and all I get is glitch, it’s a big ooof

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have two (2) Dish DTVPal DVRs that I have no use for. (My Windows Media Center PC is working fine.) They belonged to my parents and my in-laws, and are still in good condition. (They were built in 2009, and last used in 2012.) Each one can store about 30 hours of HD on its hard drive. They are OTA only, and they use PSIP information to generate a program guide. I'm too lazy to try to sell them on Craigslist, so I'm willing to give one or both to anyone who can use them. If you're interested, and willing to come to Hayward to pick them up, send me a PM.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am wondering if KQSL 17 on rf4 now broadcasting from their new Sutro station or the old Tamalpais station?
Also is there any plans to reopen KURK 3 and also the new KDTS on rf14?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I am wondering if KQSL 17 on rf4 now broadcasting from their new Sutro station or the old Tamalpais station?
Also is there any plans to reopen KURK 3 and also the new KDTS on rf14?
KQSL is still transmitting from Mt. Tam.

I have no idea why KURK isn't on the air. It's been off for months.

KDTS is supposed to return soon... as soon as they clear up the interference with mobile radio transmitters on channels 15. It was on the air for a short time yesterday.

One question I have is how KQRO on channel 2 is able to continue transmitting with no video and audio.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I Have the CM 4228, zip code 95127, ele 150'. Stopped getting KRON after a recent repack. I think you guys said my antenna isn't really a VHF antenna? Now KOFY is marginal. Did it change too? Can I add on to my existing CM with a dedicated integrated VHF antenna or best to get a new all in one?

thx

bob

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I Have the CM 4228, zip code 95127, ele 150'. Stopped getting KRON after a recent repack. I think you guys said my antenna isn't really a VHF antenna? Now KOFY is marginal. Did it change too? Can I add on to my existing CM with a dedicated integrated VHF antenna or best to get a new all in one?
I think there are people who will jump off the bridge if this subject comes up here one more time. :) The CM4228 is modeled to have negative gain on RF 7. It is designed to be a UHF antenna. Anything received on high VHF is just an accident, not by design. Add a VHF antenna. Your Rabbitears report might be helpful and will include your zip code and elevation which aren't very helpful by themselves.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Thanks, Chuck. Here is my info:

When you say add a VHF antenna, do you mean in parallel or ?

thx

bob

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
When you say add a VHF antenna, do you mean in parallel or ?
I see that KRON is the weakest of the full power Sutro stations for you, although the Noise Margin is still way up in the 40's which is not weak. The Stellar Labs high VHF yagi is back in stock. This should be plenty of antenna for you:

Combine it with your UHF antenna using a VHF/UHF diplexer. Alternately if you have a preamp on your UHF antenna, switch to a KT-700 preamp that has separate VHF/UHF inputs.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Thanks, Will any diplexer work?

is it just a splitter?
No, that one is for satellite. You need a VHF/UHF TV one.

It's not just a splitter. It has filters in it.

Chuck

18941 - 18960 of 18971 Posts