AVS Forum banner

19001 - 19020 of 19125 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you. Yeah I popped on it a few times yesterday and got the infomercial junk. Already get enough retro series stuff (which I do like) on other channels. My dream list of OTA would be some Discovery, History, BBC type channels but I don't suppose that will every happen.
Still more likely than my dream of an all-cartoon diginet.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Quest may be what you're looking for. It airs a number of former Discovery and History programs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
And if I see that same Bonanza episode one more time (where Ben and Adam are incorrectly charged with murder and held in jail and about to be hanged) I may sell my TV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mike Roberts of KJPK replied to my inquiry and said he'll look into the issue, as he's rebuilding the signal path in any event. That's good news and maybe we can look forward to improved quality.

Les
He wasn't aware of the ongoing issue?

·
Registered
473 Posts
He said was already in the process of rebuilding the signal path so it sounds like he was aware of the need to do something. To me it looks like the SD feeds on KJPK have improved recently. I've asked him for an update.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
RF channel 14 has been on the air with color bars on all of its associated virtual channels for the past few days. You will find new channels on 15-1 through 15-10, 26.11, 40-1 through 40.6 and 52.1 and 52.2.

·
Registered
61 Posts
He said was already in the process of rebuilding the signal path so it sounds like he was aware of the need to do something. To me it looks like the SD feeds on KJPK have improved recently. I've asked him for an update.
I looked at the OTA broadcast MPEG2 streams. You can see the "Northern California" channel logo watermark is actually pretty clear for the bit rate, which indicate the issue reside in the way their OTA equipment resample the original content. When I look at France24's webstream, which I assume is the same as the satellite feed, the quality of those streams are definitely better. When I look at KJPK's own IP stream, the quality is just as bad (also has the watermark). What I see on KJPK is about 240p quality. When I do frame by frame analysis, their OTA equipment seem to introduce some type deinterlace issue...

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
RF channel 14 has been on the air with color bars on all of its associated virtual channels for the past few days. You will find new channels on 15-1 through 15-10, 26.11, 40-1 through 40.6 and 52.1 and 52.2.
Yep, just re-scanned for the Halibut, and BAM, screaming high pitched whistles all over the band! Talk about annoying! Don't these folks own TVs? Are they deaf?

Hey you, RF 14 mobsters, turn off that damn whistle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Did anyone see KDTS-LD UHF 14 during its testing today from 10AM to 1PM. It was on during the odd minutes and off during the even minutes. We'll repeat the testing tomorrow. How does its signal strength compare to other stations in the market?

Best Regards,
Keith, KB5JVM
Hi I live in Palo Alto near Stanford. Does anyone know when KDTS will begin broadcasting actual programming? All I see are bars and tone since earlier this week. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi I live in Palo Alto near Stanford. Does anyone know when KDTS will begin broadcasting actual programming? All I see are bars and tone since earlier this week. Thanks!
Hi O Dubs,
The RF consultant is almost ready to submit the application to begin regular broadcasting. Either today or tomorrow he'll submit. Then it takes a day or two to get a grant. The FCC first needs to get their $200 application fee cleared first. What kind of antenna do you have? I'm anxious to get this on the air, too.

Blessings,
Keith

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep, just re-scanned for the Halibut, and BAM, screaming high pitched whistles all over the band! Talk about annoying! Don't these folks own TVs? Are they deaf?

Hey you, RF 14 mobsters, turn off that damn whistle!
The blessed whistle is coming! I'll let you know when the STA is filed this week. The STA is to operate at half power until the further improvements to the land mobile receive system at Sutro Tower can be implemented.
Where are you watching from and with what kind of antenna?
-Keith

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Larry,
Do you think it would be a worthwhile experiment to set one of the sub-channels on the RF channel 14 system to AVC/MPEG4 and to take a poll to see what percentage of people can view it? My suspicion is that 80%+ of TV will be able to receive it, especially anyone's TV that supports Netflix or Hulu. AVC/MPEG is part of the ATSC 1.0 standard for Mexico, after all. The Harmonic encoder people indicate that the FCC is okay with using AVC as long as the dot 1 is MPEG2. It saves half the bandwidth to use AVC over MPEG2.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi O Dubs,
The RF consultant is almost ready to submit the application to begin regular broadcasting. Either today or tomorrow he'll submit. Then it takes a day or two to get a grant. The FCC first needs to get their $200 application fee cleared first. What kind of antenna do you have? I'm anxious to get this on the air, too.

Blessings,
Keith
Hi Keith-

I have a Televes Ellipse atenna. The 15s, 40s, and the 52s come in pretty clear. I get the bars and tone with the KDTS-TV on the bars.

-Orlando

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi O Dubs,

Blessings,
Keith

I'm really excited for COURT-TV since I can't get KRON VHF 7(or any of its subs) from this location. (My townhome is blocked by a 5 story apartment building.)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh. That actually makes more sense.
View attachment 3062313
What type of programming will/does KDTS provide?
Hi Orlando,
I'm not sure what KMMC-LD will eventually have for programming. KDTS 52.1 is Daystar. 52.2 is Daystar en Espanol. 15.1 is Jewelry Channel. 15.2 is KQSL. 15.3 is CMC-TV 15.5 is Uchannel. 15.6 is remapped at 26.11 and is KTSF. I'm figuring out what 15.4 will be.

Blessings,
Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Orlando,
I'm not sure what KMMC-LD will eventually have for programming. KDTS 52.1 is Daystar. 52.2 is Daystar en Espanol. 15.1 is Jewelry Channel. 15.2 is KQSL. 15.3 is CMC-TV 15.5 is Uchannel. 15.6 is remapped at 26.11 and is KTSF. I'm figuring out what 15.4 will be.

Blessings,
Keith
Hi,

I just noticed these when I rescanned yesterday. I'm new and love the forum. I learned a lot about OTA channels in the CA Bay Area from this.

If its just going to be religious and home shopping, I guess I will be removing the KDTS channels from my channel list. Already get more than enough of that.

Would really love if they could give us KOFY from Sutro instead. Just can't get it here in Benicia/Vallejo at all.

19001 - 19020 of 19125 Posts