AVS Forum banner

19021 - 19040 of 19126 Posts

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
The blessed whistle is coming! I'll let you know when the STA is filed this week. The STA is to operate at half power until the further improvements to the land mobile receive system at Sutro Tower can be implemented.
Where are you watching from and with what kind of antenna?
-Keith
Blessed? Hardly! Let's get this done. Time's a wastin'!

Reception in Union City, with an indoor two bay UHF antenna and a vertically aligned VHF dipole (only way to get 4.x, i.e. RF 7). I'm getting 51% signal strength and 34% signal quality today (it varies considerably, as I am in a terrible spot for multipath, so often have reception issues). The Whistle is coming in loud and clear. :coffee:

If nothing else, can somebody just turn it down to the level of the other channels? Too "blessed" loud!

·
Registered
304 Posts
RF channel 14 has been on the air with color bars on all of its associated virtual channels for the past few days. You will find new channels on 15-1 through 15-10, 26.11, 40-1 through 40.6 and 52.1 and 52.2.
Hi Larry,

The STA to operate KDTS-LD/KMMC-LD/KQTA-LD RF 14 at half power on Sutro was filed just now. Hopefully the FCC will approve within two days.

Best Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Larry,

The STA to operate KDTS-LD/KMMC-LD/KQTA-LD RF 14 at half power on Sutro was filed just now. Hopefully the FCC will approve within two days.

Best Regards,
Keith
Ohhh half power that's why I got nothing from Hayward 😅 hope it's gonna operate in full power soon!

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Hi Larry,

Best Regards,
Keith
This is beginning to sound like KTNC when it was on RF 14 on Mt. Diablo. I was hoping you wouldn't suffer this problem as Mt. Diablo had old towers that were not well maintained while Sutro Tower has top maintenance.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Ohhh half power that's why I got nothing from Hayward 😅 hope it's gonna operate in full power soon!
Half power is only 3 dB. A 3 dB increase is not enough to take a 0% station to a 100% station. It might get rid of occasional dropouts. It's hard to imagine why you're having trouble with a station that should be LOS just across the bay especially since it has no adjacent stations. I receive an RF 14 low power station running just 2.8 KW from 77 miles away over a 1 edge path with no problems.

Chuck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Half power is only 3 dB. A 3 dB increase is not enough to take a 0% station to a 100% station. It might get rid of occasional dropouts. It's hard to imagine why you're having trouble with a station that should be LOS just across the bay especially since it has no adjacent stations. I receive an RF 14 low power station running just 2.8 KW from 77 miles away over a 1 edge path with no problems.

Chuck
Thank you for the info! My location is somewhere between Hayward and Castro Valley which is not LOS to the tower but 2-Edge

Here's my info on RabbitEars: RabbitEars.Info

Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi 2cb6,
Have you tried to rescan your TV? You'll see 15.x, 52.x, 26.11, and 40.x
Hopefully the FCC will approve the STA and we can start programming the stations tomorrow.
Blessings,
Keith
Yes I did for the last whole week. Signal detected but no watchable signal at all time.

Here's my info on RabbitEars: RabbitEars.Info

Frank

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Frank,
The signal level looks similar to what you are getting from KCNZ-CD. We are just broadcasting color bars, but that will change as soon as the FCC grants the STA. We will be going to full power once the land mobile receive system is rebuilt at Sutro.
-Keith

·
Registered
15 Posts
RF channel 14 has been on the air with color bars on all of its associated virtual channels for the past few days. You will find new channels on 15-1 through 15-10, 26.11, 40-1 through 40.6 and 52.1 and 52.2.
I rescanned a few days ago and got all of them on my indoor antenna in North San Jose. Just waiting to see something other than color bars.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I rescanned a few days ago and got all of them on my indoor antenna in North San Jose. Just waiting to see something other than color bars.
As of 10:30AM programming began on KDTS-LD and KQTA-LD (RF 14, virtual 52 and 15 and 26.11)
Blessings,
Keith

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hi Larry,
Do you think it would be a worthwhile experiment to set one of the sub-channels on the RF channel 14 system to AVC/MPEG4 and to take a poll to see what percentage of people can view it? My suspicion is that 80%+ of TV will be able to receive it, especially anyone's TV that supports Netflix or Hulu. AVC/MPEG is part of the ATSC 1.0 standard for Mexico, after all. The Harmonic encoder people indicate that the FCC is okay with using AVC as long as the dot 1 is MPEG2. It saves half the bandwidth to use AVC over MPEG2.

Thanks,
Keith
I'm not familiar with AVC/MPEG4, but it would be fun to give it a try.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
As of 10:30AM programming began on KDTS-LD and KQTA-LD (RF 14, virtual 52 and 15 and 26.11)
Blessings,
Keith
Congratulations! Finally got the STA finalized and approved!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Ben,

Audio for 15.3 was turned down 3 dB just now.
Also, KDTS-LD's old channel 8 transmitter was shut down yesterday. I realize that very few people could receive it, though.

Blessings,
Keith

19021 - 19040 of 19126 Posts