AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in San Jose and need a OTA antenna for a Samsung SIR-T160 I have on order. My challenge is that there are broadcast towers of interest in two significantly different directions. Most of the channels in which I'm interested are in San Francisco at a compass orientation of 292° (see list below). I estimate that tower (Sutro) is approximately 50 miles away. The other channel I wish to receive is KNTV-DT 12 at a compass orientation of 161°. I'm sure that tower is much closer.

The www.antennaweb.org antenna selector suggests a small multi-directional. That's certainly the simplist but will it work? Any recommendations?

Digital Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live Date Compass Orientation

* yellow KNTV-DT 12 NBC San Jose CA Now Live 161°

* yellow KBWB-DT 19 WB San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KGO-DT 24 ABC San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KTSF-DT 27 IND San Francisco CA Now Live 287°

* yellow KPIX-DT 29 CBS San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KQED-DT 30 PBS San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KMTP-DT 33 IND San Francisco CA May 1 2003 292°

* yellow KFSF-DT 34 TFA Vallejo CA Jun 1 2003 292°

* yellow KCNS-DT 39 SAH San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KKPX-DT 41 PAX San Jose CA Now Live 287°

* yellow KCSM-DT 43 PBS San Mateo CA Jun 1 2003 292°

* yellow KBHK-DT 45 UPN San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KSTS-DT 49 TEL San Jose CA Now Live 345°

* yellow KTEH-DT 50 PBS San Jose CA May 1 2003 347°

* yellow KDTV-DT 51 UNI San Francisco CA Now Live 345°

* yellow KICU-DT 52 IND San Jose CA Now Live 347°

* yellow KTVU-DT 56 FOX Oakland CA Now Live 292°

* yellow KRON-DT 57 IND San Francisco CA Now Live 292°

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You didn't give any indication of what type of location you live at. So, I'll assume that you don't live in an apartment and you don't have a hill in your line of sight to Loma Preita and Mt. Sutro. For the best reception you probably want to go with 2 antennas. It's a little more money but less hassle - no need for a rotor. You'll need a UHF/VHF type for Mt Sutro and a small VHF only for Loma Preita. You'll also need a channel 12 joiner to combine the 2 antenna into 1 cable.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken. Your assumptions are correct. Very glad that I can avoid a rotor. Any suggestions on antennas? Who makes a good a channel 12 joiner? I haven't been able to find any other than Channel Master.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Erickson
You didn't give any indication of what type of location you live at. So, I'll assume that you don't live in an apartment and you don't have a hill in your line of sight to Loma Preita and Mt. Sutro. For the best reception you probably want to go with 2 antennas. It's a little more money but less hassle - no need for a rotor. You'll need a UHF/VHF type for Mt Sutro and a small VHF only for Loma Preita. You'll also need a channel 12 joiner to combine the 2 antenna into 1 cable.
Actually for the sutro stations, you only need a UHF antenna as there is no vhf coming from there.

the channel 12 join-tenna's are discontinued. Here's what I suggest, and it'll work whether you have a uhf/vhf or just uhf pointed at sutro. get a uhf/vhf joiner/splitter (channelmaster makes one). use it as a combiner - connect the uhf/vhf antenna to the uhf side and the vhf antenna to the vhf input. this will fix you up. by the way, schad's electronics in san jose can set up up with antennas and the joiner. for the vhf only antenna, you probably want the winegard cut-to-channel ch11-13. You can probably get by with the 5 element one (I need the 10 element one out here in the sticks).

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Jeff, thanks. And yes, I'm only interested in digital channels. I also noticed that there are a couple of channels at 347°. Is that close enough to 292° (Sutro), or am I going to need three antennas?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
gimp,

I would recommend getting a combo UHF/VHF due to the high probability that some of those digital channels on Mt Sutro will revert back to their VHF frequency when they go all digital in '06. I can recommend the Winegard CM3616 for the small VHF ant for channel 12 (KNTV-DT). Call Schad Electronics (408) 275-6484. They carry the CM3616 and the channel 12 joiner. As for a UHF/VHF - don't spend a lot of money for a high end ant. I got mine at RS for $20 (open box). If you have good line of sight to Mt Sutro a medium sized ant will work just a good as a big one. But if you are blocked by a hill/mountain then you'll have to work at getting a signal from Mt Sutro. The same thing with Loma Preita. Start small and work your way up. That's why I recommend RS, they have a good return policy. Don't know what Schad's return policy is - never had to return anything with them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
gimp:

I think I've said this before, but it keeps coming up. I use a rabbit ears for channel 12. The DTC100 has two RF inputs, so the inside and outside antennas each get an input. If you only have one RF input, RadioShack has cheap RF switches. They even have expensive RF switches with remotes and the whole bit. Anyway, this works fine.

The other channels you mention are channel's 49 and 52 (48 and 36 analog). They are so close that I get them fine on both the outdoor antenna and the rabbit ears.

I am in Santa Clara in a two story house. The rabbit ears and TV are on the first floor.

JamesF

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Excellent point about some possibly reverting back to VHF eventually. I'll get a short or medium VHF/UHF directional for Sutro. For KNTV I'm looking at the Winegard YA-6713 (6 element Ch. 7-13) with a ch.12 joiner.

The channels I'm interested in receiving at 347° are 50 & 52. Channel 50 is the new digital channel for San Jose PBS station KTEH. Channel 52 is the digital channel for KICU (analog channel 36). Both of those broadcast antennas are located at the KICU-TV tower, Monument Peak, Alameda Co. I figure that is less than 11 miles from me.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Funny think about KICU-DT (digital 52, analog 36), I have my 3023 pointed at sutro, and I get KICU off of it's side. This is a very strong transmission. If you're 11 mi from it, you will have no problems getting it more likely than not.

Ken makes a good point about the combo antenna. It may come in handy if KNTV move back to SF as they've been rumored to do. Then you may only need one antenna.

ch52 shows under review. I get it's analog broadcast very well with my antenna setup. From my house it's coming from the south where KICU is - I guess it's on Mt. Alison as well?

Sounds like you've got a good plan and alot of info to go on.

jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to chime in...

I'm in Santa Clara, so not too far from you... I currently have a CM4221 in the attic (or crawlspace) attached to a CM3041 preamp... aimed it NW (toward Sutro), and get all the HD digital channels with no problems... Fox (from Oakland) also comes in at 100 power... and specifically, NBC (channel 12 in San Jose) also comes in at 100 power, though I am not pointed in that direction... I think it's because I am already so close to SJ anyway...

BTW, I am near the SJ airport, next to Intel/101

Hope this helps

-- regards,

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, it's common to get Channel 12 from the "wrong side" of the antenna in the south bay. It's close and it's powerful enough and its VHF.

If you can gamble on needing to do the second antenna later, I'd start with the one and stop there and see what happens.

Mark

·
Registered
232 Posts
Same here (Meridian and 280), KNTV comes in fine off the back end of the antenna pointed at Sutro, as do all the rest off to the side. BTW, on the scale of things, rotors are cheap and can save you a lot of grief when pointing the thing.

Ernie

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, this will definitely save me some time and $$$. Given everything posted thus far, any thoughts on a omni-directional like the one below? The only two concerns I can think of is would it be a able to sufficiently pull in Sutro UHF channels and multi-path. There are not any tall buildings around but I'm just at the bottom of the eastern foothills (I should know this, but do the hills reflect?).

Channel Master

Model 3000 A SMARTenna

Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna

Provides excellent 360-degree television reception.

Range of 30 miles for UHF signals and 45 miles for VHF signals.

Equipped with an internal UHF/VHF amplifier with FM trap.

Includes C-UL and UL approved AC power supply and injector.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Omni-directional antennas are usually poor for digital TV since they cause multipath. Directional antennas are best to reduce or eliminate multipath.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The problem with rotors is that they are not a good solution when you have a PVR or VCR that is recording HD. Pointing a good UHF/VHF antenna at Sutro is likely to work now and in the future.

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.