AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The standard reasons quoted here in different threads site the main reasons of placing sand in the stage as :-

a) Giving the sub something solid to push against and move air not mass.

b) Help isolate the rest of the building.

Point a) seems to make very good sense for a downwards firing sub, but do the same benefits hold true for a front firing sub ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8conz /forum/post/15429545

The standard reasons quoted here in different threads site the main reasons of placing sand in the stage as :-

a) Giving the sub something solid to push against and move air not mass.

b) Help isolate the rest of the building.

Point a) seems to make very good sense for a downwards firing sub, but do the same benefits hold true for a front firing sub ?

Thanks

It helps stop the resonance of bass. If you isolate the stage it HELPS keep the bass from resonating through the rest of your home.

The mass of sand is better than simply lining the stage cavities with insulation. The mass sand gives you also keeps your stage from acting as a giant bass drum.

…and it gives your kids somewhere really cool to make sand castles when the weather is bad out side.

Make sure your stage is isolated from the rest of your construction, (not touching the walls).

Use treated lumber.

Line your stage framing with durable plastic.

Make sure you use dried sand which I bought at Lows.

Cover with at least two layers of plywood, some members use more than two layers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my case, reason #3:

Filling the stage with sand allows me to claim I actually helped build my new house even though I only contributed 0.1% of the labor. As an added bonus, I can always tell the tale of me lugging buckets of sand into the house in 90 degree weather in August so the family can enjoy movies without excessive bass resonance. It's pretty weak compared to my parents stories of walking to school in the snow, uphill, both ways, when they were kids but it's something

Good luck with your build!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.