AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Vienna acoustics Mozart speakers which have a chamber that can be filled for improved bass range.

Vienna acoustics recommends filling the chamber completely with sand. I have also heard of others using lead shot. Does lead really have an advantage over sand? If I use lead, should I fill the chamber completely?

LMN

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I have a friend with lead shot filled speakers. I will ask him. I believe that lead is more dense, but sand can pack pretty dense as well and doesn't have the gaps you will have with lead shot.

Mike

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sand has the advantage of not inducing brain-damaging lead shot dust into your home.

If you do use sand, make sure it is well dryed.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have heard many recommend using both shot and sand. First fill the cavity with lead shot then pour DRY sand (buy it in a paper bag if possible) to fill in all the gaps. This will increase the density of the fill and eliminate any resonating air gaps.

Sand and shot are denser then rice and I would think the shape of the rice grains would lend itself toward creating more air gaps as well. Could you please post a link or some other information regarding why this is better.

Also, C4...plastic explosives? I assume you are talking about something else or this was humor that was lost on me.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Another alternative is fine aquarium gravel. Adds a good bit of weight, is safer than lead and a bit easier to clean up or remove than sand, should you desire to move the speakers.

Tom B.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
(codemarine slips a funny past the group, totally unnoticed, save for one fellow facetious wag...) :lol:

Use sand, or better yet, small sandbags. Loose sand will be, at some future point in time, a nightmare. And don't use lead. Dangerous. Cat litter will work, too, but make sure it's unused. Seriously.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I filled my Mozarts about 3/4 full with playground sand and I like the results. They've been filled for over a year and have gone through a move with no problem. Be sure to use playground sand that you can buy at Toys R' Us or Home Depot, it doesn't contain any moisture. Moisture will destroy the cabinets over time.

Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_B4
I filled my Mozarts about 3/4 full with playground sand and I like the results. They've been filled for over a year and have gone through a move with no problem. Be sure to use playground sand that you can buy at Toys R' Us or Home Depot, it doesn't contain any moisture. Moisture will destroy the cabinets over time.

Bill
Is there a reason you chose 3/4 full rather than completely full?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I initially tried sand in my B&W 805/HTM stands but found sand to really add very little mass. I think it took 3/4 of a 25 lb bag of sand to fill all 3 of stands.

I decided to bite the bullet :)D) and go with lead shot. It took SEVEN 25 lb. bags to fill the equivalent volume. So now, each of the L&R stands has approx 50 lbs of mass in it and the center has approx 75 lbs. Tweaking placement is a real workout now.

Shot comes in several sizes. The smaller the shot the higher the mass to volume ratio, but the more shot it will take to fill the stand. I used #7, #8, and #9 (smallest) shot because very few gun shops stock lead shot anymore, and if they do, they only have a couple bags. I ended up having to go to 3 different gun shops to get all the shot I needed.

There is some concern about the health implications of using lead. As long as you are careful when filling the stand, most stands that are fillable seal up pretty tight so that sand wouldn't leak out after filling. I doubt once filled and capped there is much to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Just a comment...Those of you who are concerned about the sonic differences among sand, lead, cat litter, cooked or uncooked long grain rice, or yak feces in your speaker stands...If your room has not been acoustically treated to make it dead and eliminate first reflections, you will not be able to tell a difference anyway.

First things first.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Has anyone ever thought about filling stands with cement? Seems

like that would be great for weight and resonance. What is the danger

in using lead?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The dry cement would pick up moisture from the air and could solidify over time. This could harm the wood too.

As to lead in your home, check:
http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/

http://www.webhart.net/lead/other.html

It is a dangerous substance to introduce inside of a home. When using in speaker stands, one should take precautions to seal the openings. And never fill the equipment inside of your home, the act of pouring the lead puts lead dust into the air, which will stay in your home for a while.

Tom B.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
To those wondering what the deal is about filling a speaker with lead or sand. The speakers being discussed have empty cavities inside of them that were designed to be filled with sand (I doubt any speaker manufacturer is recommending lead inside of a box that moves air into your house). They were designed to sound their best with the additional weight.

These are not people who are pouring sand down into speaker ports, where the speaker drivers are located.

The only way I would even consider putting lead into a speaker cavity is to first put the lead shot (best left in its original bag) into double or triple thick plastic bags and then lay the bags into the cavity. No way would I want loose shot inside a non-airtight chamber, especially inside a speaker that is pumping air through the cabinet.

Tom B.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The best bet is to actually screw the cabinets to the floor, or use guywires. Everything else is not anywhere as good. There are good, solid, basic reasons for this.

Seriously.

(oh no..I posted on the new speaker forum. I'd better run before I start posting stuff that peole get insensed about and then they want me to explain..and I have to refuse....)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Scarpelli
Just a comment...Those of you who are concerned about the sonic differences among sand, lead, cat litter, cooked or uncooked long grain rice, or yak feces in your speaker stands...If your room has not been acoustically treated to make it dead and eliminate first reflections, you will not be able to tell a difference anyway.

First things first.
This is right on the mark. The infinitesimal gain you may experience by filling the speakers with ANYTHING is irrelevant compared to the huge improvements you would achieve by properly treating the room, or even just by experimenting with speaker positioning.

Why continue to debate which flavor of magic pixie dust to sprinkle on your speakers when there's real, audible improvements to be made by using common sense?

Wake up, people.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Some cabinet designs require mass loading on the part of the end user, in lieu of adequate internal crossbracing on the part of the manufacturer to dampen resonances.

I'd use either playground sand from Home Depot or kitty litter, as they strike me as being the easiest solutions and will, no doubt, be adequate.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
filmnut,

What makes you so certain that the room treatments haven't already been done? I agree that these tweaks are minimal compared to placement and room treatment, but once the first two things are done, you keep going down the list to get everything else tweaked until you cannot make it any better.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Scarpelli:
Those of you who are concerned about the sonic differences among sand, lead, cat litter, cooked or uncooked long grain rice, or yak feces in your speaker stands...
Is there an audio store in Seattle that carries yak feces? My local dealer is full of bull**** but I don't believe they handle yak. Also, you might try pouring wet concrete into your speakers and then adding rebar to damp out the sonic resonances. Seriously, I would recommend NOT using lead shot due to the health concerns cited above. Many historians believe that ancient Rome fell, in part, because the aquaducts were lined with lead...

·
Registered
513 Posts
LMN,

Honestly, the reason for filling them 3/4 full was recommended to me by a Sumiko rep. Not to mention it'd be rather tricky filling the cabinet to the rim.

Bill

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.