AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to upgrade for sometime... After auditioning some speakers including B&W 803d, Legacy Audio Signature SE & ML Montis... I had settled on Montis...

I was looking to upgrade within a month to the Montis... Recently I discovered Sanders Sound M10... Which are similar in terms of being hybrid.... combining electro stats and bass driver.

Although I have not heard Rogers speakers... they look very good... and wanted to see what are the thoughts of other members...

I have search web, and I really don't see much reviews on these...

My main listening is Movies 60% Music 40%.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Panel speakers will sound very much like other panel speakers, be they ESLs or Planar-magnetic. Each has their pluses and minuses. I haven’t heard Sanders, but I’ve auditioned the Martin Logan Vantage, Ethos and Summits, along with Magnepan 1.7, 3.6, 3.7 and 20.1. Guess what? I liked them all, but the Vantage would be at the bottom of that list (the Ethos replaced the Vantage and is a much better speaker). BTW, the Theos has the identical panel size of the Ethos.

The Sanders are very interesting. They remind me of Maggies without the socks. Their size can dominate a room, but not as much as Maggies since one can see through the Sanders and the ML ESLs. I have a feeling if you auditioned the Montis and Ethos, you wouldn’t hear much of any difference except for perhaps the bass. Personally, I like the looks of the MLs the best, because of their size. The Sanders apparently can hit deeper than even the ML Summits if one believes the press, and the Summits were no slouch in that department. But since you have an excellent subwoofer, this should not be the main criteria of a speaker. Unlike the Maggies, both the Sanders and MLs are sensitive (it will take a more powerful amplifier for Maggies).

Since this is more for movies than music, all will require panels for a center channel and probably for your surrounds. If you have the room for that, great. Both the Sanders and MLs are hybrids, while the Maggies are full panels and won’t go as deep (I use a subwoofer). The MLs have a smaller “sweet spot” than the Maggies, but both create a large and detailed soundstage with nice depth. Once you go panel, it’s very difficult going back to conventional speakers.

You might go to the Martin Logan ESL threads and the Magnepan thread to see if anyone has heard the Sanders. Personally, I wouldn’t buy anything I cannot audition, especially at the price range you are talking about (10k for the Montis and 15k for the M10d). While I preferred the sound of the 5.5k Maggies over the 15k Summits, it wasn’t an easy decision to make. All I can say is I’m sure you’d love them all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, size of M10 can dominate a room but I think it can fit well in my 13'x18' room.

My understanding is that M10 system includes a Magtech Amp which costs about 5k alone... so it is comparable to price of Montis.

Although this is mainly for HT... whether I go with ML or Sanders... I was thinking about going without a center channel. In my current setup... its working well with out center channel... for MLP :)

Sanders, does provide a 30 day money back... even covering cost of returns... So I have no doubt that if I try them... they probably will stay...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Going without a center channel is not a great idea. I suspect the Sanders is much like the MLs in that the sweet spot is narrow. Works fine for one person, but not as well for several people. When auditioning the MLs, I was seated at the center and my son next to me. The difference was dramatic. Since panels sound very much alike, you could get a center channel from ML that would work great with the Saunders (or for Maggies for that matter). You will then see (hear) that small sweet won’t be an issue. Your choice, of course.

It’s important that Saunders allows a trial period. Don’t know about ML, but you’d have to discuss that with the dealership. Maggie’s also have a 60-day trial period, but again, you would need to discuss that with the people at the dealership. Just make sure you have auditioned these panel speakers (those you can audition in a store) and do so more than once before deciding. I saved 10 grand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts