AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The desire for hearing neutral and 'perfectly uncolored' cannot be fulfilled by buying a speaker with a flat frequency response, unless you are a perfect entity.

People forget the essentially subjective nature of hearing, one that is even beyond conscious thought - the unique physiology of each ear!

Everybody should get their ears checked at a hearing institute. They can test your hearing frequency capabilities and graph it, much like with a speaker (but kind of opposite). Then, you should take that chart, and seek a speaker the frequency response of which makes up for your shortcomings, and is slightly lacking in your best frequencies.

If you are a true audiophile, you will go beyond what the producer intended you to hear (after all, they mix with their non-flat ears) and hear the closest approximation of a flat sound in this way.

This also supports the argument for slightly 'scooped' eqs, because they make up for the usual tapering-off of hearing in the extreme highs and lows.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow. Your audiophilia is off the charts!!!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlubbs /forum/post/14345348

The desire for hearing neutral and 'perfectly uncolored' cannot be fulfilled by buying a speaker with a flat frequency response, unless you are a perfect entity.

People forget the essentially subjective nature of hearing, one that is even beyond conscious thought - the unique physiology of each ear!

Everybody should get their ears checked at a hearing institute. They can test your hearing frequency capabilities and graph it, much like with a speaker (but kind of opposite). Then, you should take that chart, and seek a speaker the frequency response of which makes up for your shortcomings, and is slightly lacking in your best frequencies.

If you are a true audiophile, you will go beyond what the producer intended you to hear (after all, they mix with their non-flat ears) and hear the closest approximation of a flat sound in this way.

This also supports the argument for slightly 'scooped' eqs, because they make up for the usual tapering-off of hearing in the extreme highs and lows.

Don't forget to have an icepick handy - for when a grand-dad and a baby walk in the room and you completely and finally freak out trying to figure out how to EQ that - then realize that the only solution is to jam that icepick into your ear up to the handle.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
You are correct in asserting that a perfectly-measuring, neutral speaker definitely does not guarantee a pleasureable listening experience. There are numerous factors involved. Among them are the room and perhaps, just as important, personal preference. And, of course, the individual shape and physiology of the listener's ears affects the listener's perception of sound.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
So can we get ear treatments?

Can we audition different ears?

Are Monster brand ears overpriced?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/14345643

Don't forget to have an icepick handy - for when a grand-dad and a baby walk in the room and you completely and finally freak out trying to figure out how to EQ that - then realize that the only solution is to jam that icepick into your ear up to the handle.

Now now... there is no point in trying to EQ for others' sakes... remember, an essential feature of audiophilia is selfishness... Otherwise we would all be buying logitech computer speakers and donating our money to starving children.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/14345855

So when you go hear live music, do you ask them to adjust the performance to your ears?

Everybody hears the same performance.

Everybody hears the same performance, but hears it in a sonically distinct way depending position, ear physiology, etc. I should know, I have no earlobes and from where I am usually at (behind the drumkit) things sound quite different.

Anyways, I fail to see how your analogy is relevant to the conversation.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlubbs /forum/post/14345901

I am usually at [...] the drumkit

That explains a lot about your post.

(PS. Please don't tell them you are a Canadian!!)

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlubbs /forum/post/14345901

Everybody hears the same performance, but hears it in a sonically distinct way depending position, ear physiology, etc. I should know, I have no earlobes and from where I am usually at (behind the drumkit) things sound quite different.

Anyways, I fail to see how your analogy is relevant to the conversation.

If one wants to hear an recreation of that performance "uncolored and neutral", that in itself is a preference. If one has shortcomings in hearing, the same shortcomings come into play during the live performance and the accurate recreation of the performance.

If one wants to hear a recreation of that performance that is more pleasing to one's ears, then it has everything to do with "coloring" to taste.

If I understand you correctly, you want to take a natural and accurate sound, and change it to sound accurate and natural to your deficient ears.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Everyone definitely doesn't hear the same thing at a show, in the same way that not everyone has the same view. I usually walk around the venue during the opening act to determine where the sweet spots are because outside of them the acoustics in many clubs are absolutely horrible.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks /forum/post/14346061

Everyone definitely doesn't hear the same thing at a show, in the same way that not everyone has the same view. I usually walk around the venue during the opening act to determine where the sweet spots are because outside of them the acoustics in many clubs are absolutely horrible.

Right..but your deficient hearing is with you where ever you sit....and if someone else sat in the same position, they are hearing the same performance, with their personal deficient ears.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/14346015

If I understand you correctly, you want to take a natural and accurate sound, and change it to sound accurate and natural to your deficient ears.

Do you believe that there is anything wrong with doing that?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/0

.Do you believe that there is anything wrong with doing that?

That's what hearing aids are for!

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/14345855

So when you go hear live music, do you ask them to adjust the performance to your ears?

Everybody hears the same performance.
No, they don't. Each seat in the venue will sound different. And, everyone DOES hear things differently, btw.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14346156

No, they don't. Each seat in the venue will sound different. And, everyone DOES hear things differently, btw.

Yes...each seat sounds different...agreed. But in the same seat, what gets to our ears is the same. Of course, now you can argue the different position of the ears.

Yes....we hear differently, but what is actually being produced by the performance is the same.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
What a circular moronic [email protected]#$%

Never try to educate those who won't listen. OTOH, I guess they will claim they didn't hear it the same anyway.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts