AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after retreating from the HTPC space for a bit, I wandered off and had my fill of debacles with the Popbox and Boxee Box.
After owning and testing both, I can safely say that standalone media players still can't come close to replacing a well-built HTPC. They're at least a year away from competing directly with a simple low-budget W7 HTPC running mediabrowser, TMT, and a few other WMC plugins.

That said, I have returned to this wonderful forum with plans to build a new HTPC as soon as possible. My first question is quite simple:

What benefits will the new Sandy Bridge chips provide, for HTPC use specifically, that you can't get with the current generation of power-sipping chips and/or video cards?

I'm trying to determine if it's worth waiting until late January, but nothing I've read seems to indicate that the new chips will provide improvements for HTPC use. It seems to me that a simple mid-range microATX system, using the current chips and cards, can do just about anything/everything we've ever wanted in a HTPC, so what exactly do we stand to gain with the next-gen AMD or Intel chips? Perhaps I've missed something...?

THANK YOU ahead of time!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
2 core/4 thread processors are available only on Feb 20th . The current Clarkdale CPU is good enough for HTPC. So the question is if GPU is much better? 3D support is nice (if you are interested). 23.976Hz issue and video codec issues with media players? I don't know. Luckily we have (and will have) plenty of nice discrete graphics cards.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19606584

2 core/4 thread processors are available only on Feb 20th . The current Clarkdale CPU is good enough for HTPC. So the question is if GPU is much better? 3D support is nice (if you are interested). 23.976Hz issue and video codec issues with media players? I don't know. Luckily we have (and will have) plenty of nice discrete graphics cards.

Hey renethx, thank you for the quick reply, I love your work and contributions to this community! If anyone could explain the possible benefits of waiting for the new chips, for HTPC use specifically, it would be you!

So, since we can already obtain 3D-support using the current batch of Nvidia cards, and the current CPUs are pretty damn good at just about everything related to HTPC use, I just dont understand what could dramatically improve with the new CPU's... if anything?

Do the current 3D-capable cards (Nvidia) have a problem with 23.976? Would it be better to wait for the lower model ATI 6xxx series cards, or do the Nvidias have decent drivers right now?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
GT 430 is good with 23.976Hz support. I am not sure about the low-end model of HD 6xxx (I even don't know when they are released, just in Q1 2011). Replacing the graphics card is much easier anyway.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19606546

OK, after retreating from the HTPC space for a bit, I wandered off and had my fill of debacles with the Popbox and Boxee Box.
After owning and testing both, I can safely say that standalone media players still can't come close to replacing a well-built HTPC. They're at least a year away from competing directly with a simple low-budget W7 HTPC running mediabrowser, TMT, and a few other WMC plugins.

That said, I have returned to this wonderful forum with plans to build a new HTPC as soon as possible. My first question is quite simple:

What benefits will the new Sandy Bridge chips provide, for HTPC use specifically, that you can't get with the current generation of power-sipping chips and/or video cards?

I'm trying to determine if it's worth waiting until late January, but nothing I've read seems to indicate that the new chips will provide improvements for HTPC use. It seems to me that a simple mid-range microATX system, using the current chips and cards, can do just about anything/everything we've ever wanted in a HTPC, so what exactly do we stand to gain with the next-gen AMD or Intel chips? Perhaps I've missed something...?

THANK YOU ahead of time!

AMD zacate will have a much better on chip gpu than sandy bridge, but of course sandy bridge's cpu's will mop the floor with zacate but at a bigger power hit. Depends on how much horse power you want. Personally to me getting sandy bridge for HTPC use is like getting a 500 horse power car to commute in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you were buying a new car, you could wait for next year's model to come out. You'll pay a premium for getting a brand new car. But if last year's model is still available, it will have been on the lot a while, and the price will have been heavily discounted. The grill looks a little different, and the new model has a few electronic goodies. But the engine in both cars have more than enough horsepower to take you where you want to go. Which is better? Just joking, I'm bored.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell /forum/post/19613026

If you were buying a new car, you could wait for next year's model to come out. You'll pay a premium for getting a brand new car. But if last year's model is still available, it will have been on the lot a while, and the price will have been heavily discounted.

Thing is Intel doesn't lower prices of old CPU models. It just phases them out. Just look at the pricing for Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad models (which have been on the lot for more than 2 years). Sandy Bridge processors will sell for the same price as current CPU's (barring price gouging of retailers) so that analogy doesn't really apply.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
BTW you can check the latest Intel processor price list here:

http://www.intc.com/priceList.cfm

For example, the price of Core 2 Duo E8400 (inferior to Core i3-530, $113):

- $183 on Jan 20, 2008 (initial release)

- $163 on Nov 28, 2010

(Of course you may be able to find a better deal at some retailer.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts