AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a used one recently and noticed that the blue display screen will come up when unit is powered on, but I can't see any of the text on the screen. Can't set clock,or any modes etc. because I have no idea when is being displayed. I don't have the remote either. I know that the HD seek and band buttons are changing because I can receive some stations through my receiver. Anybody else have a problem like this one on their Sangean HD radio?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like the LCD driver chip went south on it.

(Or the LCD itself).

I've heard of other electronic devices where the display went south and it was as simple as the ribbon cable became unseated from the "motherboard" or daughterboard connection. (In particular with police scanners).

Have you popped the cover off to see if anything looks loose or disconnected?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks W1KNE for the reply. Even though the LED blue screen will come on but no text is visible, it could possibly be a LCD driver chip as you described? I was hoping it might just be a contrast setting that's out of whack,but even then,I wouldn't be able to see the settings display or the menu. Maybe I should just open it up and check the ribbon cables as you suggested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought an HDT-1x on ebay for a steal of a price knowing there was an issue with it. I figured it was just a simple fix. The issue is that the radio will not pick up any stations or play them. At first I thought it was a simple antenna issue because the seller mentioned that he used the included antenna. I have an amplified antenna that I thought would cure the problem since it works with my Polk HDX3. On the radio equalizer it looks like a signal is coming in because the bars are moving up & down, however, the scanning cannot lock into any stations. So apparently it may be some kind of output problem. There is a hum when using an amplified speaker but no station. The speaker is new & I tested it on another radio I had. I did call Sangean's office & they suggested that it could be anything from a software bug to a possible defective chip which would cost quite a bit to replace. The radio is brand spanking new, so there appears to be some kind of defect.

Does any one have any ideas or have experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFanboi1200 /forum/post/19631840

Thanks W1KNE for the reply. Even though the LED blue screen will come on but no text is visible, it could possibly be a LCD driver chip as you described? I was hoping it might just be a contrast setting that's out of whack,but even then,I wouldn't be able to see the settings display or the menu. Maybe I should just open it up and check the ribbon cables as you suggested.

Yes. The blue screen is nothing more than a flouroluminescent backlight.

The LCD is actually clear and has no light to it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUCK02 /forum/post/19758138

I bought an HDT-1x on ebay for a steal of a price knowing there was an issue with it. I figured it was just a simple fix. The issue is that the radio will not pick up any stations or play them. At first I thought it was a simple antenna issue because the seller mentioned that he used the included antenna. I have an amplified antenna that I thought would cure the problem since it works with my Polk HDX3. On the radio equalizer it looks like a signal is coming in because the bars are moving up & down, however, the scanning cannot lock into any stations. So apparently it may be some kind of output problem. There is a hum when using an amplified speaker but no station. The speaker is new & I tested it on another radio I had. I did call Sangean's office & they suggested that it could be anything from a software bug to a possible defective chip which would cost quite a bit to replace. The radio is brand spanking new, so there appears to be some kind of defect.

Does any one have any ideas or have experienced anything like this?

There is a numeric signal strength indicator, which I would use to verify reception over the presence of equalizer bars. That being said, I think your unit has problems.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks W1KNE, I appreciate your input. I did open the unit up ,looked for any sign of loose connections,damaged board,circuits,burnt smell etc.... The ribbon cable was kinda orange brown looking,but I wasn't sure if that's just the natural color of them. It didn't smell like it had gotten hot to change the color. The reception seems to be ok I suppose. , I just use the seek button and hope for a station I recognize. At least mrjktcvs can see what station he's tuned too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The numeric signal strength indicator stays at 0 but occasionally flickers at 1. I also think that the radio wasnt using the most current software. Anyway, it looks like its picking up with the radio, but the scanner wont pick it up, nor will it output to the speakers. At worst, Sangean said that at worst case it would cost $105 to replace the radio which I am considering, Im still hoping its a software problem that doesnt cost much to fix. The hum that I hear is at low volumes & its with other radio as well so Im discounting that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts