AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're remodeling, and in April, I get to go on a buying spree (well, within reason).

The living room is 13 wide by 15 long by about 10 tall off-center, curved roof that's 8 tall at one edge and 9 at the other. The roof curves right-to-left (i e, straight down the main axis). Not ideal for sound, but there you have it.

Additionally, the room continues without a wall into a 7 1/2 foot tall passageway that's 5 feet. It goes out to entry one way, and out to kitchen/dining the other way. This creates a wall section from 7 1/2 feet height to 10 feet height at 15 feet from the front wall -- perfect place to hang rear speakers.

So, here's what I think I'll do:

1) install A/V rack in the back wall (in the passageway)

2) run balanced (XLR) 6.1 + HDMI (22 AWG monoprice) from A/V rack to front wall

3) put subwoofer w/bass management to the right of low fireplace (about 4 1/2 ft tall) and have 6.1 XLR come out there. Additionally, add 6 balanced channels back into wall, to go to speakers.

4) hang 42" LCD above the fireplace, with HDMI coming out the wall. This will be speaker-less and stand-less -- a pure monitor

5) hang speakers at level right above the display along the front wall, L/C/R

6) hang speakers on the high back wall section along the back, L/C/R

Additionally, I'll put Cat 6 Ethernet jacks at the sub, display, and A/V rack position, just for kicks and grins (and the A/V rack will have an Xbox 360 and a Tivo in it, so it can use it).

I will pull the surround speakers almost all the way to the corners of the back wall, but keep them tighter on the front wall (i e, quarter the wall, each speaker about 4' from the next).

So: can I do better given this room layout?

ASCII graphics:

..+........+-----------------------------+

..|........|RL........9'.................|

..|........|.............................|

..|........|............10'.............L|

..|..7.5'..|............................C|

..|........|RC.........................TV|

AV|........|............................S|

..|........|............................R|

..|........|RR..........8'...............|

..+........+-----------------------------+

There will be about a 35' HDMI run if I have to go in the ceiling, and slightly shorter (30'?) if I go below the floor in the crawl space. Hopefully, this cable will last me even when 1.3 and its goodness of 30/36bit 1080p60 comes out.

Second question: Equipment.

I probably should break this into 5 different forums, but I'll start here and see how it goes.

Currently, I'm thinking Sony 5200ES for receiver, because it has 1080p up-scaling, and 3 input HDMI switching (I'll be getting with the HDCP just because that's what appears to be necessary in the future). Alternatives include the Pioneer Elite VSX84TXSI or the Yamaha RX-V2700. I will not use these for power amplification -- I will tap out the Pre Out. I will, however, use these for all decode and processing, as well as all video switching and up-converting to the display (hence, the Sony seems to lead right now). I don't want to spend much more than $999 street for the receiver.

I will feed the Pre Out into an EbTech LLS8 line level shifter, to turn it from RCA to balanced, and send it on its way across the room.

The subwoofer is likely a Genelec 1070 powered subwoofer with built-in bass management. I've worked with a variety of speakers in a previous career in audio production, and I've come to like the Genelec brand with a passion.

The speakers will be Genelec 8040A bi-amped near-field monitors -- given that the listening distance is about 8-9' from the front wall, I think this will be fine, and I certainly like their sound. They will attach stock to Omnimount series 30 mounting plates (STMP) which I will use.

I had thought to get a Sharp LC42D62U, because I really like their industrial design. However, with the 92U on its way, I might wait for that, although it'll run about $1k more for the same size (or $2k more if I upgrade to 46" -- anything more is not suitable for the space). I'd prefer LCD over plasma for various reasons (one of which is I will do some high-resolution computing/gaming on this set-up).

I'll get the electrician to put a dedicated outlet for each of the speakers, TV, and A/V rack, all on the same single circuit, to minimize grounding problems. In fact, I'm hoping to put all the additional equipment on a relay, triggered by the 12V out from the receiver. Thus, everything is completely off unless the receiver is on -- given that all audio comes from there, I think that should be safe.

I had considered getting a balanced power supply for the A/V rack (something like the Transcendent Sound 1000VA kit), but given that all consumer gear uses un-grounded plugs, I'm not sure it's worth it. Perhaps a regular isolation transformer will be good enough, or just a surge protector.

So, about $9k for speakers and mounts, $1k for receiver, $2-4k for display, and $1k for cabling. Add a $14 soldering iron from Radio Shack, a $29 remote control forwarder from front to back, and a week-end of cabling, and I should be sitting sweetly. (I'm hoping to keep the speakers longer than the display or receiver, btw)

Or? Am I going wrong in some assumption? Have I missed some piece of gear that will obviously make this all work better? Am I fogetting something crucial? I'm getting this upgrade, and keep driving my 11 year old car with peeling paint, instead of doing the reverse, so I'm understandably nervous about the investment!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte /forum/post/0

Am I fogetting something crucial?

Yes. Acoustical treatment. A major fraction of the wall surfaces need absorption and/or diffusion for sound accuracy and dialog intelligibility. Absorption can be inexpensively done with home-made 1"-2" thick rigid or semi-rigid fiberglass panels. Otherwise, you are wasting money on Genelec speakers when Radio Shack will give you comparable quality sound when it reaches your ears.

- Terry

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a point very well taken. I did not talk much about the surfaces at all. There will be curtains along both side walls, and area rugs, and furniture. The back wall (in the hallway) will be treated. I wanted to put egg carton style foam in the ceiling, but the wife-o-meter said no at that point. Instead, there will be track lighting along the wall, giving interesting lighting patterns onto the curved ceiling.

The speakers are mounted, angled, and (important) directed enough to avoid too much early side-surface reflections. This will focus the sweet spot, but those sitting outside the sweet spot won't notice ;-)

And I wanted to go with the 8240A, which each have built-in DSP with room response convolution (which is a step or two up from the EQ that a typical AVR will do), which would help as well. I couldn't find any sane way of supplying AES/EBU out from any receiver or pre-amp I could afford (and that can switch HDMI). As far as I could tell, the cheapest way of getting the separate digital multi-track feeds was to pipe it all through a Mackie digital 8-bus mixing console. Not gonna happen in this room :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.