AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate a quick readthrough and any feedback on the plans I'm developing for our new house construction. Modest 4br 2400 sqft home. Don't necessarily have a specific budget, but I'd like to find a balance of future flexibility without wasting money. Planning on going with mostly monoprice speakers, wire, accessories. Nothing close to an audiophile, just want a cool setup that sounds decent that the wife likes.

Home audio:

Main priority is really just audio in kitchen/dining and on back patio, but I'm going to take the opportunity to run speaker wire to each bedroom, and maybe even a few of the baths. For each room with 2 speaker stereo: 2-conductor speaker wire from each speaker location in ceiling to volume control knob by light switch, then a single 4-conductor speaker wire run to centralized location in basement. Immediate plan is to hook one SONOS amp up to the four speakers used right away, and then over time grow with impedence-matching speaker selectors (as I install speakers in other rooms) and/or additional SONOS amps for distinct music control. All that hardware will be in a hopefully tidy location in the basement.

Home theater:

Main-floor "great room" that vaults up to about 19' ceiling height. I know that's not optimal, but this is where I want my main TV experience. Planning on a standard 5.1 or maybe 7.1 with in-walls from Monoprice and a decent AVR like Denon or Onkyo. Buy a SONOS Connect plugged into the AVR so that room can also participate in whole-house audio.

Questions:
  1. 14ga or 16ga speaker wire for these scenarios?
  2. Our kitchen/dining is about 15'x22' (9' ceilings). Do you think a pair of Monoprice 7605 's in the ceiling about the center of the area would suffice?
  3. Would there be any value in running speaker wire from the home theater area down to the basement with the rest of the whole-house audio wires? Not sure what I'd use it for at this time, with SONOS bringing whole-house audio to the room.
  4. Would you recommend any cables in addition to what's described above *for audio*? Read a lot about pulling Cat 5e+ to the volume knob area.. I don't think I will ever want any fancy touch screens on the walls... I'm comfortable with the rest of networking and other AV connectivity

Really appreciate any input. Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiti  /t/1525178/sanity-check-my-new-cons...udio-wired-w-sonos-home-theater#post_24551929

Nothing close to an audiophile, just want a cool setup that sounds decent that the wife likes.

Just once in this forum I'd like to see someone say: "I'm an audiophile and it has to sound awesome, and money is no object."

Hasn't happened yet!
Quote:
Main priority is really just audio in kitchen/dining and on back patio, but I'm going to take the opportunity to run speaker wire to each bedroom, and maybe even a few of the baths.

That's the right approach - concentrate on the pre-wiring, and do EVERY room you could possibly want. The cost/hassle to run one later will probably prevent you from retrofitting any in the future... Study, bedrooms, dining, kitchen, patio, master bath, garage, etc. are all viable locations.
Quote:
For each room: Speaker wire from speaker location in ceiling, to volume control knob by light switch, to centralized location in basement.

Run a cat5e (or cat6 if you have leftovers) in parallel to each volume control location. That will set you up for any of the keypad-based systems in the future. Nothing wrong with starting with the volume controls, but spend the $50 to put in the keypad wiring...
Quote:
[*] 14ga or 16ga speaker wire for these scenarios?

Yes, either. Most WHA systems specify 16AWG as a minimum. 14 would be "better", but probably not necessary.
Quote:
[*] Our kitchen/dining is about 15'x22' (9' ceilings). Do you think a pair of Monoprice 7605 's in the ceiling about the center of the area would suffice?

Depends on the layout, but probably not. You want to be able to play the speakers at a relatively low level for "background music". But to get coverage in a large space, you have to crank up the volume from a single pair - which means anyone standing underneath one is going to get more than 'background' levels.
Quote:
Any value in running any speaker wire from the HT area down the basement with the rest of the whole-house audio wires? Not sure what I'd use it for at this time, with SONOS bringing whole-house audio to the room.

That can allow you to use a Zone2 output to drive some / all of the speakers - it gives you flexibility, and not a bad idea, especially if you have plenty of wire. But priority-wise, a flex conduit along that path would be more important for future potential...
Quote:
Would you recommend any cables in addition to what's described above *for audio*? I don't think I will ever want any fancy touch screens on the walls...

EVER? Ever is a long time. Cat5e wire is cheap. Run it to every volume control per above, and I'd run one to any place one of those fancy touchscreens might "look nice" in the future - main hallways, wherever there is a thermostat / security panel / etc. You don't have to see them or a blank plate for that matter - secure the wire in the wall and photograph / document those locations. When Google comes out with the $99 home control touchscreen this Christmas you'll thank me.

Jeff

Reactions: bohiti
1 - 3 of 3 Posts