AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on mounting my projector this Saturday but I wanted to just do a quick sanity check with you guys. Here's my set up; NEC XG75A, HTPC running 1280x720p, 80x45 16:9 screen. So here's what I plan on doing.

1) My joists run perpendicular to the screen. I'll be mounting two pieces, maybe three - haven't decided, of 12 gauge, 1 5/8" unistrut which will span three joists parallel to the screen. Mount my XG75A's factory mount to unistrut and then attach the unistrut together to allow for xy movement. Unfortunately this will drop the projector down a bit but I think that the flexibility and sturdiness is worth it. Based on the factory specs for a 100" wide 4:3 screen I should be mounting the projector 110.05 inches from the screen. I was thinking about moving it about 5% closer giving a new distance of 104.55 inches. XG owners, does this seem correct? I have a little 4:3 wear on the green tube so factory settings might be better but I don't think it will be too distracting. I will be mounting the screen 35.46 inches plus the extra few inches for the unistrut and mount down from the ceiling on center. Is there any concern about a higher rez not fitting on the screen by moving closer or am I better off sticking with factory specs? Still sound like I know what I'm talking about? Be honest.

2) I'm having someone come over and help me set this beast up once mounted as I think it's a bit beyond me. How important is it to do an initial set up before mounting (raster centering, focus, etc, etc)?

3) It seems that when I do any convergence on the unit and then exit the menu it asks if I want to save the settings. It will not let me save it in the current setting and forces me to set up a new memory and then the same thing happens when I want to make changes to the new setting. It doesn't ask me for a password but is it related? It just tells me that I can't save in current setting so I select 'new'.

4) How can I normalize all settings for a memory so I can start from scratch? I want to make sure that point convergence, white balance, etc are all fresh when I start making changes. Thoughts here or do I have to go into each setting for each tube and normalize?

5) In Guy Kuo's "holy focus" string he discussed manual aiming of the lenses but the XG has an actual spot for 100" screen (which is the equivalent of my 92" 16:9. Do I use that or do I use the variable slot to get it spot on?

I know this is a lot but any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing my research on this forum and find the information to be absolutely invaluable.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
First of all you must have a signal going to the projector, then you need to do a signal entry for the signal going to the projector. When you do an initial entry you need to pick where to get your initial settings from, choose "Temporary" so you aren't trying to set up from a default that is different from your actual signal. You can't set up an NEC without a signal going to it, and it helps if you have a signal that is very stable, frequency wise. You need to save your settings, but you can only do this AFTER you've set up a signal entry.

Use the variable spot for the tube toe in, so you can get it perfect.

·
Registered
567 Posts

I was thinking about moving it about 5% closer giving a new distance of 104.55 inches. XG owners, does this seem correct?

Supply the projector with a video signal whilst the projector is still on the floor. Maximise the raster size to make full usage of your phoshor area. Move the projector towards or away from the screen to fill it correctly in the horizontal direction. This is your screen to projector distance.

I have a little 4:3 wear on the green tube so factory settings might be better but I don't think it will be too distracting.

Check how distracting it is before ceiling mounting it. Do it whilst it's on the floor. If your planning on replacing tubes anyway, then set it up for maximum raster size.

Is there any concern about a higher rez not fitting on the screen by moving closer or am I better off sticking with factory specs

The most important thing to remember is to use the maximum tube area you can to increase resolution, brightness and reduce tube wear.

I'm having someone come over and help me set this beast up once mounted as I think it's a bit beyond me. How important is it to do an initial set up before mounting (raster centering, focus, etc, etc)?

Raster centreing and sizing is the most important. Focus, astig etc will all need to be done after mounting the projector.. so don't waste time doing it before hand.

How can I normalize all settings for a memory so I can start from scratch? I want to make sure that point convergence, white balance, etc are all fresh when I start making changes. Thoughts here or do I have to go into each setting for each tube and normalize?

You need to normalize each tube at each setting. Or completely reset the projector to default settings which may affect your white balance (not good).

In Guy Kuo's "holy focus" string he discussed manual aiming of the lenses but the XG has an actual spot for 100" screen (which is the equivalent of my 92" 16:9. Do I use that or do I use the variable slot to get it spot on?

Definitely use the slotted hole.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Your Welcome,

Cookie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.