AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contractor is ahead of schedule and I am behind schedule on finishing my new basement theater. The dry wallers are supposed to start on Thursday and I have not even begun to run the low voltage wiring. Since I am in a hurry I wanted to make sure I didn't forget something. Please help a guy out.


From rack to Sharp 9k projector:

2 component runs

1 composite run (for DC1 menus)

2 Cat5 runs

1 serial cable


7 channels of audio


2 sub runs (1 to from to room 1 to back of room)


2 Cat5 runs to front of riser


2 Cat5 runs to lobby

1 RAG6 to lobby

1 Cat5/Speaker wire for in-ceiling speakers


Conduit from PJ to mach room. This isn't ideal but if I do need to run a newer style cable from the rack to the PJ this will get it there. Not the shortest route from A to BA, but I am not one to upgrade such expensive pieces of equipment so it will probably never be used.


I am debating running an a computer video cable or not. I plan on building a HTPC in the future. From what I remember when I was looking into HTPCs most output Component not computer type cable.


For the video and sub runs I am looking for Belden 1694A and either Canare RCAs or Thomas & Betts Snap & Seal RCAs


For the audio runs I will probably run whatever my local AV store has on a reel. The price is usually very good.


Thanks in advance for everyones help/advice/stone throwing...


Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
I'm not sure that I got everything, so please don't take my response as implicitely agreeing with everything I don't question.


Are you going to have a couple runs of RG6 to the rack for cable/satellite?


A 2" conduit from the projector to rack would allow you to fit some of the cables with fatter connectors (like DVI) through. The digital cables also have restrictions on maximum distance, so a direct route is preferable. A conduit would allow you to worry about all those other projector cables later.


A couple extra locations for the subwoofers might give you additional flexibility later on with placement.


If you wanted to plug a game machine into the riser, what sort of cables would you need? Do you want electrical in the riser (maybe that's outside of scope)? What about bass shakers in the riser?


What is the Cat5 going to speaker locations for? And why 1 RG6 to the lobby? Are you running some Cat5 to probable phone locations?


Trying to summarize, I'd say you need signals coming into the rack (2x RG6 & 2x Cat 5/6), speaker cables to each speaker (12 or 14 ga), RG6 to each sub location, a 2" conduit to the projector and whatever you plan on running to the riser (maybe a conduit at this point?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cme - Thanks for the reply. See my notes below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
Are you going to have a couple runs of RG6 to the rack for cable/satellite?
My mistake, the rack is located next to the "tech box" where all the cat5 and coax is home runned in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
A 2" conduit from the projector to rack would allow you to fit some of the cables with fatter connectors (like DVI) through. The digital cables also have restrictions on maximum distance, so a direct route is preferable. A conduit would allow you to worry about all those other projector cables later.
That was the original plan, but the way the joists and a support beam run in the basement there is not a very feasible way to run a conduit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
A couple extra locations for the subwoofers might give you additional flexibility later on with placement.
Where would you suggest? sides? near the front, rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
If you wanted to plug a game machine into the riser, what sort of cables would you need? Do you want electrical in the riser (maybe that's outside of scope)? What about bass shakers in the riser?
There is a power outlet on the front of the riser as well. We are not really game players, except when we break out the Atari 2600 or the original NES. I found these controllers so I just leave the console in the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
What is the Cat5 going to speaker locations for? And why 1 RG6 to the lobby? Are you running some Cat5 to probable phone locations?
I am just running speaker wire to the speakers, no Cat5. The lobby is designed to easily converted to a bedroom in the future if needed (we were thinking about resale) so I put in one cat 5 if someone wants a TV in that room and the 2 Cat5s are for internet and phone if needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
No HDMI?


P.S. cat-5 can carry a network connection and 2 phone lines. Most people don't use it for both, but it is designed to do both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Quote:
1 Cat5/Speaker wire for in-ceiling speakers
I guess I don't understand this part, still. I read this to mean that you are running cat5 & speaker wire together?


For the lobby/bedroom, were you planning on using some sort of MC Extender or balun to run TV over Cat5? In my house, for example, 2 RG6 & 2 Cat5 were standard to every room. Others have added onto this (like running additional RG6 for distributing HDTV), but I'd be hesitant to run anything less.


Regarding additional subwoofer locations, that would just be an option that might provide you more flexibility later on with placement. Are you doing the midpoints of front and rear walls as your most likely location? If so, perhaps two corner locations might work as standby areas.


Sounds like you've thought about the rest and have either concluded it wasn't necessary or already incorporated it into your planning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
If you continue to fall behind, since the drywallers are coming in two days...you can save yourself the trouble of trying to wire everything now with some pre-wire pull cords.


Just buy a bunch of mason's line (it's thin and strong enough for this purpose) and cut your stud holes and every home run back to the equipment closet / rack / whatever you run a string.


It's not the best way, it's not the most convienent way, but it's easier than trying to do it post-facto after the drywallers have closed off your walls.

http://www.swhowto.com/images/BoxCordTied.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a spool of Liberty UltraCap THX 12/2 today. So far I have run the rears and one side channel, one run of Cat5 and Coax to the lobby. Tomorrow the spool of Belden 1694A should arrive, so I hope to finish the speaker wire and start the video and sub wires. I was able to push the drywallers out until Friday and took Thursday off work to finish up as much wiring as I can.


Thanks again cme,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
I guess I don't understand this part, still. I read this to mean that you are running cat5 & speaker wire together?
The Cat5 is for relaying IR signals from the volume control back to the home run panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
Regarding additional subwoofer locations, that would just be an option that might provide you more flexibility later on with placement. Are you doing the midpoints of front and rear walls as your most likely location? If so, perhaps two corner locations might work as standby areas.
The front sub run will run across the floor from the rack area, so I can place the sub anywhere in the front. I was thinking that I would run the rear sub cable to the center of the rear wall which will allow flexible placement along the back wall. If I have extra coax (which I should) I may run to the corners.


arjo_reich - that is a good suggestion, if I get too far behind I may have to do that. Hopefully I will be able to run what I need in time.


Thanks again,

Brian
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top