AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on this forum own Sansui vintage speakers? They look generally good for bass but how are these speakers on midrange and highs?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Wow, that brings back memories....My college roommate back in the late 80's had a Sansui system with tuner/amp and 3-way mains. If I recall correctly, granted that was a lot of lost brain cells ago, overall they sounded good at the time. :)

Randy

Axiom M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S DVD

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do remember my old Sansui speakers. Fine wood cabinets with removable wood egg crate fronts. A massive 15" woofer made up this 6 way speaker.Can't remember how they sounded,but can remember replacing them with Altec Lansing model 15 which sounded much better at the time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I guess it depends on which ones you're talking about....I have a pair of the sansui's with the funny grille and something ridiculous like 6 drivers....including a horn and 15" woofer. I don't like them for sound quality, but they have good bass and seem to be extremely efficient (like 95db-ish or maybe more). Anyway, I don't use them at all; I much prefer my athenas and my 'to be repaired eventually' vintage dual concentric tannoys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sansui towers S1117 two 12 inch woofers and 4inch mid and aluminium tweeter, 23+ years old still play loud clear and extremely transparent, for $300 a pair 23 years ago

they give speakers costing $2000 + a run in terms of clarity, very open and natural, could be precieved very slightly harsh at high volume though. I am using them for surrounds with my Paradigm Studio 100s fronts and they are very natural sounding.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Boy does that bring back memories and back aches moving those suckers. When I got married 25 years ago we had them for a few years and the wife wanted an upgrade to smaller as I had 4 of them.. remember the quad days. I gave them to a friend. Also had the Sansui DB receiver with built in dolby so you could dolby record onto reel to reel back in the late 70's... wow what a rocker set up. Wish I still had them for a seperate room. Would sure bring back some memories. Man were those things built good and heavy. I sold my Sansui receiver which had like 200 watts and weighed about 100 lbs on ebay about 5 years ago for double what I paid for it. I thought it was a great thing at the time but wish I would have hung onto it now for a stereo set up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.