AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to this particular forum, but I belong to a few others on the web so I at least know the general forum rules.

For christmas the wife and I buy what we want for ourselves plus a few extra's for each other just to have something to open for each other. My christmas gift to myslef is a Home Theater Projection system. I have been to two of my friends houses to see there's, but one just has it hooked up to his cable, and not really using it like I want to. My other friend is utilizing it more, but doesn't have it hooked up to his cable. He has it hooked up to his DVD/VHS, computer, X-Box, etc. Me of course, I want it all as usual.......

Here's the specifics: The area of my rec room that it's going to is about 14 feet wide and 25 feet long. I'll be shooting for a 6 foot wide by 4 foot high screen for the wall. I'm look at an InFocus X2 projector. Right now out local Sam's Club has the projector and screen for $1,000. Now I want to hook up my charter digital cable, PS2, and DVD/VHS system. I also have a Kenwood Reciever that I want to run the surround sound. My speakers are two 500 watt side speakers, one 100 watt center speaker, and 2 100 watt rear speakers. Everything is already purchased and in use except the projector and screen.

My questions are as the following:

1. Is the InFocus X2 a good projector? Will it handle everything I want to hookup? Or will I have to manually unhook the cable when I want to play the playstation? Or is there connectors for that?

2. Will the InFocus X2 projector and screen fit my room size? Should I get a bigger screen or smaller screen?

3. What other information am I missing that I'm overlooking. I know that anytime anybody gets involved in a project they end up running into things they overlooked or just didn't know to look. I know I will run into both, because I really don't know much about these theaters. Other than the fact that I want one. )

4. I have two moths before my purchase, so if I'm way off base, and anybody has a different approach or suggetion on different projectors, and/or screens I'd appreciate the information.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all replies.

· Registered
266 Posts
Welcome to the world of projectors!!!

Here's my perspective on your questions :

"1. Is the InFocus X2 a good projector? Will it handle everything I want to hookup? Or will I have to manually unhook the cable when I want to play the playstation? Or is there connectors for that?"

-->Take a look at some of the other low end projectors out there, the HS30, the Benq6100/6200, the Infocus 4805 is more money but there's a whole thread above about it. Take some time and see some in action if you can. If you're set on the X2, try to find an X1 instead, it is a better unit for Home Theatre. If you do go with an X1, you'll need an external Component Switch box to handle the multiple component inputs you'll be using (DVD, Cable, XBox etc).

"2. Will the InFocus X2 projector and screen fit my room size? Should I get a bigger screen or smaller screen? "

-->That room is plenty big enough for a 6x4 screen, generally as long as you are 2x the picture size away from the screen you'll be ok. Just note, that size screen is really pretty much maxing out a projector like the x1/x2. I started with my X1 at that exact size, but have since cropped it to a 16:9 size.

"3. What other information am I missing that I'm overlooking. I know that anytime anybody gets involved in a project they end up running into things they overlooked or just didn't know to look. I know I will run into both, because I really don't know much about these theaters. Other than the fact that I want one. )"

-->You should investigate both DLP and LCD to decide which technology you prefer. Some folks are more prone to Rainbows on DLP while others have issues with Vertical Banding/Screen Door on LCDs. Again head into a local store and poke at both types of units. Screen type is important as well and should only be chosen once you know the exact projector you are going to buy, check out the screens forum for more info.

"4. I have two moths before my purchase, so if I'm way off base, and anybody has a different approach or suggetion on different projectors, and/or screens I'd appreciate the information."

-->The Mitsubish HC900 looks like an interesting unit, but is probably more expensive than what you are looking for. Also you need to decide if you want a native 16:9 screen or a 4:3 screen. This really will be based on what you plan to use the unit for. If you are 90% DVD and HDTV go 16:9, but if you play xbox, watch standard tv or have tons of stuff on VHS 4:3 may be your best bet.

Overall, the most difficult decision is based on what you are going to use the unit for, which technology short comings bother you the least, your budget and ambient light. What you use it for will dictate the aspect ratio, which short coming will help you decide the technology (lcd vs dlp), your budget (that's obvious) and ambient light issues will certainly help you determine the light output you're going to need.

Have fun!!!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.