AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was watching a movie the other night and at the end of the credits was a THX trailer. Asked my son to turn it up "a BIT".....

I am using the -10000Q to power the platform and seat transducers. I haven't spent a good deal of time trying to dial the transducers in yet. The end of the trailer caused the power supplies in the 10000Q to BLOW !

Aftermath below. :eek:

Not a problem though. I emailed Johnson and replacement boards are already in the mail headed my way. He is seriously the BEST in customer support.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like happy endings.
It was a learning experience on multiple levels !

I told my son, if he EVER smells that very distinct odor in the future to TURN OFF what ever it is causing it.....

In this case I didn't have to turn it off. It blew itself up and tripped the 240VAC/20A breaker.:eek:

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Wow... good to hear he's sending out parts.. yet another reason I recommend sanway, although I hope I never have to experience this on my 10kq.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... yet another reason I recommend sanway.

Yeah, he really is the best.

He gives straight forward troubleshooting steps and no BS list of common steps to try. Each case is different, and he has always been spot on in his diagnosis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those photo's would not exactly give me a ton of confidence in this product. You don't just "blow" a power supply like that unless something was really wrong. The last time I saw a fuse do what appears to have happened there was when I forgot I had my DMM still setup for measuring current when I grabbed it to measure voltage across 3 phase 480v with a 200A breaker. The damn meter literally blew. Parts flying and all.

Moral of the story is I would not keep that thing next to flammable materials.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Those photo's would not exactly give me a ton of confidence in this product. You don't just "blow" a power supply like that unless something was really wrong. The last time I saw a fuse do what appears to have happened there was when I forgot I had my DMM still setup for measuring current when I grabbed it to measure voltage across 3 phase 480v with a 200A breaker. The damn meter literally blew. Parts flying and all.

Moral of the story is I would not keep that thing next to flammable materials.
What meter were you using? I don't know why it would blow measuring current or voltage and then the other. I can see it blow if you had the leads plugged into the ports where you use the meter as a jumper.

There was obviously something wrong because you can see other components blown and even what appears to be a trace is cracked in half. I would suggest the the OP make sure his wiring is not shorting out somewhere before firing up the amp again. Just check resistance between the wires not connected to anything and it should be open. If you get a short, then you need to replace those wires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What meter were you using? I don't know why it would blow measuring current or voltage and then the other. I can see it blow if you had the leads plugged into the ports where you use the meter as a jumper.

There was obviously something wrong because you can see other components blown and even what appears to be a trace is cracked in half. I would suggest the the OP make sure his wiring is not shorting out somewhere before firing up the amp again. Just check resistance between the wires not connected to anything and it should be open. If you get a short, then you need to replace those wires.
It was a lower end fluke. I was measuring 4-20ma analog and had the leads plugged into the current port, When I picked the meter up again and turned the dial to volts and went across two of the phases to take a voltage reading it sounded like a gunshot going off. All ended well. I bought a better fluke 87V meter (that will beep to tell you the leads are not in the right spot if you forget!) ... and did not get hurt.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Was watching a movie the other night and at the end of the credits was a THX trailer. Asked my son to turn it up "a BIT".....

I am using the -10000Q to power the platform and seat transducers. I haven't spent a good deal of time trying to dial the transducers in yet. The end of the trailer caused the power supplies in the 10000Q to BLOW !

Aftermath below. :eek:

Not a problem though. I emailed Johnson and replacement boards are already in the mail headed my way. He is seriously the BEST in customer support.

Hi, who is Johnson and does he sell these amps in USA ? Can you provide contact info ? Tnx !!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
since most of the materials inside an amplifier are not particularly flammable, you would probably not have any crisis develop...

but still seems a bit strange that it blew out at all...

·
Registered
12,038 Posts
What sort of subs and ohms you running?

I've beaten up my 10kQ everyday for 3 years now, and it still works (listening to it right now.)

Did you clip the [email protected] out of it or what?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This is known as envelope expansion, and its really nice to do it when you are measuring how much juice its giving out so we know where the limit is for future reference. Instead of when you have nothing to show for the failure but a story to tell :p

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is known as envelope expansion, and its really nice to do it when you are measuring how much juice its giving out so we know where the limit is for future reference. Instead of when you have nothing to show for the failure but a story to tell :p

More like envelope EXPLOSION.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
More like envelope EXPLOSION.
Well yeah it would technically only be envelope expansion if the amp actually survived the expanded conditions it was put under.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Maybe it had something to do with the fan mod you performed, since these require front to back airflow, and that modification is basically useless.

If you bothered to read my thread you would know that ALL vents were blocked. So the ONLY place air can flow is out the back DIRECTLY over the heatsinks. The high static pressure fans ensure that the air blowing into the amp does not backfeed.

And if you had bothered to read the thread you linked too, that damage had zero to do with heat dissipation and everything to do with being overdriven JUST LIKE THIS :

Please post up your empirical data discrediting my mod. I have posted mine showing it's functionality and cooling ability.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.