AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY month old XP21n is at the Sanyo shop, as it developed a buzzing from one of the internal fans. This buzzing began as intermittant 1-2 weeks after my purchase, and grew to be constant over late week 3-4 of ownership.

The buzzing sounds kinda like a cable touching a computer fan in the case, and can most clearly be heard out of the small vent on the left hand side of the unit (when viewed from the rear). It sounds kinda like a bumble bee is in the vent.

Anyway- I know of at least one other owner who seems to be developing exactly this issue, and wondered if others had heard it (or had thoughts about it's cause).

The Sanyo tech. who is looking at my unit is having a hard time even hearing the problem. Perhaps it got jarred back into place upon shipment...

Thanks

DG

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been in correspondence with a fellow 21n owner with the same problem. When I powered mine up the other day, I also heard a buzzing coming from the left side of the unit. It passed after a minute, but when I put my ear to the case, it was still audible. It won't surprise me if it gets a lot louder judging by your experiences.

Frank

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, this sucks!

Glad at least that my problem is not an isolated incident.

Sanyo tech had problems finding my problem yesterday.

I will try to give a call and see what I can do to tell him about this....

dg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spoke withthe Sanyo techs as they boxed my projector to return.

they could not get it to demonstrate this particular buzzing problem in their shop, so they could not fix it.

Hopefully the shipping has shaken things back into alignment or something and I willnever hear this again, but I suspect it may develop again over time.

For those of you starting to experience this, please track it as closely as you can & gather any info you can. I think we should try to relay this info to Sanyo, because I anticipate one of you guys will want to send your in too, once the buzzing becomes constant.

Sanyo thought perhaps it was the ballast or fans reacting to greater demands based on the image material being displayed, but that doesn;t gel wit hthe fact that our units worked fine (at least mine did) with zerop buzzing for the first coupla weeks, then developedthis intermittantly, then all the time....

Anyway- Sanyo seems like they are really cool about dealing with this stuff, but they will need our help isolating and identifying the problem.

Frank- so I know numbers, is the "Other guy" you refer to Endymion?

He is developing this problem too, and I wonder if it is now the 3 of us, or perhaps your post means there is at least 4 now.

Thanks

dg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dan

The exhaust fan in the XP21 is not bolted,screwed or slotted in the rear part of the projector it's sort of wedged in and will not sit properly in place until both halves of the casing are joined together. So maybe the act of just moving the projector to send it in for repair caused the fan to seat properly...maybe.

Paul

------------------

Paul O'Hale
Your lies are like bananas,they're yellow and come in big bunches!

Leslie Neilson,Wrongfully accused
www.mcgahon-oneill.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting idea- you might be right. When the unit first exhibited the problem you could rotate it and get the buzzing to stop, so that makes sense.

Sanyo tech thought it might be normal fan oscialltion in response to changing environmental conditions (ie, remember to clean your intake filter regularly, the projector wont start heating up and gasping for air, and the buzzing wont happen)

It seems to be more related to the fan located under the intake filter on the bottom of the unit rather than the exhaust fan at the back.

dg

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm one of the ones who experienced the buzzing fan problem. The first couple times it occurred I found that after taking the fan off my ceiling mount and rotating it the buzzing would go away. It finally failed solid a couple weeks ago. I sent it off to Sanyo (they have fantastic warranty service BTW, they pay shipment both ways via Airborne Express next day air and have an excellent turnaround time). They found the bad fan and fixed it. For reference for those who may be experiencing this problem, the fan they replaced is "motor fan FN903".

------------------

John

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
No buzz yet but I'll keep listening for it.

I was one of the lucky ones. So far, perfect out of the box. No stray pixels, no dust, no noise. Knock on wood!

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine isn't buzzing.....so much as rattling. It started about 2 months after I got mine. Sounds like a worn bearing in the fan or something. I've tried to re-seat the fan but the noise continues. It's too much to take now and is audible over all but the noisiest sections of most movies.

I was planning on calling tech support to sent it in and thought I'd check this forum.

BTW, while being a computer tech for 7 years I've fixed countless buzzing case fans with a sharp whack from the handle of my screwdriver.

davep

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.