AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Sanyo rep had called me back to answer some warranty questions this afternoon for a projector purchase I am planning on making. At the end of it all, I mentioned the Sony SRXD projector that is expected to come out next year and asked the rep if Sanyo was going to have a response to compete against it.

His response was that Sanyo not only has a solution but that it will be available in the third quarter for purchase. The prototype has already been made and they are completing the productions lines. He said it will be a LCD technology delivering 1920X1280 and have much higher contrast ratio than what LCD currently offers. The projector itself is designed speciffically for home theater.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? I was just about to purchase a PLV-70 as a temporary solution until Sony comes out with their native HD projector. But if Sanyo truly plans to start shipping for third quarter,Which is right around the corner, and looks anything like the Samsung 240T than it might be worth waiting for.

A part of the conversation that caught my attention was how surprised the rep was to hear that the potential release date of the Sony was 1st quarter 04. I told him that I wasn't sure and that it was all hear-say. He was under the impression that it would be earlier than that and went on talking about how Sanyo has put some serious cash into their home theater projector products to compete and ended the conversation with "If their going to bring their projector out that late than they might miss the boat"

Anyone out there have any further insight on this subject. Because if the rep was pulling my leg than I am going to purchase the plv-70 tomorrow to get this over with.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I dont know if he was pulling your leg, but I wouldnt purchase the Sanyo PLV-70. I personally do not like the picture that this projector produces. Yes it is bright and has great colors, but the image is the most digital looking that I have ever seen. There is no black just dark greys. Add to this the LCD banding and the picture is poor at best.

Obviously if you are prone to DLP artifacts then this projector may be the one for you, but if not I think you should look elsewhere (in fairness I cannot deal with the picture that LCD produces). Im excited that they are coming out with a true HD LCD projector, but unless they make some major strides involving picture quality when id pass until the next best thing comes along.

Andy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Andy,

My issue is light. I am in a room with 2 large door walls that are 6 inches apart from each other and 1 5'X4' windows that is also right next to the door walls. To say the least, quite a bit of sun comes through those windows and the screen I built is right across from them. I owned the XP21n and it did do a good job when the shades were pulled and a much better job when I put the goo stuff on my screen. (That Goo stuff from KBK really works great. put it on a white background and it is next to identical shade as a firehawk screen.) Anyway. What other reasonalby priced projector can be used as a temporary projector that will solve my light issue. Even though I watch most of my movies in the evening, the sun sets late where I am at so light is always somewhat of an issue until past 9:30PM.

do you know of dead pixel issues with the PLv-70

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
This is your answer if you have light issues. There are always a chance for dead pixels. I did not have any dead pixels on my projector. Just purchase from a reliable vendor and im sure they will cover and defects. I think avs has a special on the plv-70 now.

Andy

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Andy,

I don't know if I would call the picture "poor at best".

Pzou,

If Sanyo is marketing a 1080 LCD it will probably be showed first at Infocomm in June. This will probably be the first good showing of at least the prototype projector.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I heard about this from a Sanyo dealer last Oct. while I was demoing the PLV70. He said that according to Sanyo it was going to kick the HD2's a$$. The 1920X1080 resolution seemed a realistic goal, but beating DLP on contrast? That, I'll have to see.

I have heard that JVC expects to have a 1920X1080 by early next year also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is infocomm held?

Andy, Believe it or not it turns out that nearly all companies have a policy that was created by the suppliers of the matierials that says 1% of pixel failures is considered within spec. 1% of Pixels or mirrors is many when you are in the millions. Also if you return a LCD or DLP projector most companies charge a 15% restocking fee. This is how I came across the information on the 1080 LCD projector. I found out that sharp only charges there dealers restocking fees if the customer brings back the projector because he was disatisfied with the performance. if the customer returns a projector because mechanical or pixel/mirror problems, if the dealer purchases direct from sharp there is no restocking fee. if the dealer purchase from a distributer than it's up to the distributor. I am expecting a written letter that states this so I can present to sanyo and tell them to be competitive with their offerings when it comes to dead pixels and match their competitors. As I mentioned I did purchase a XP21n and it did come with a dead pixels and they pretty much told me to pound sand when I asked them to fix it!

What about the Sharp Z1000, I did see one but it looked like it fell off a truck. There were bad mirrors everywhere on the screen and the box sounded like a hamsters were spinning all the gears in it. Needless to say I didn't get much out of it and the dealer did send it back. I know they have a higher lumens output than most DLP's but how does the lumens compare to the plv-70?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Infocomm = Orlando, June 3-5.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Mr. Wiggles,

Maybe I did overreact with that comment. The picture is definitely watchable for many, but I cannot watch it :) The vertical banding and digitzed look just hinders any enjoyment that I get from the projector. The image is too sharp (not filmlike at all) even when I defocus. I also did not like the constant dust blobs, but I think this has been fixed in newer versions.

Andy

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well Andy, all I can say is the PLV-70 you saw was defective and looks nothing like mine. I have NO vertical banding and with a good HDTV source, a picture that is far better than 'film like' I have experience with CRTs also and unless in a completely dark room, can't hold a candle to the PLV-70. I am amazed every time I sit down to watch it. Are there better projectors? Probably, but not at less than 2x the price which ain't gonna happen in our household.

A friend described the picture from our PLV-70 that sums things up nicely. "It does not look like TV or film, it looks like you are looking out a window!"

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I resisted the urge to upgrade my PLV-60 to the PLV-70. Here's my wish list for the new Sanyo. Light output the same as the PLV-70, real (not spec'd)contrast ratio >1000:1 (the PLV-70 was something like 500-600:1), electric lens shift and zoom, quieter than the PLV-70, DVI with HDCP, deinterlacing of 1080i source material, street price of 5-6K. If it does all of this, then I will not be able to resist the upgrade urge any longer.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
When I got my HD20 (SE PLV-70 clone), the fixed pattern noise (re vertical banding) was quite noticeable. When the light engine was replaced, the fixed pattern noise was barely noticable - interesting.

My expereience with Sanyo has so far showed me that they have much to learn when it comes to producing a quality HT projector. I say this because athough my 20HD projector excells in many areas - considering the limitations of LCD technology - my beef is with color purity, which is a continuing problem with LCDs in general, and what Sanyo calls 'acceptable' performance in this area is unacceptable. What good is more resolution (the resolution of the current projector is excellent) if colors are off???

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Scott--call me crazy, but I am optimistic on a 1080p standard when HD-DVD does finally come out. I would want the projector to be able to handle 1080p on the input side before I make further donations to the Theodore Pigeon Projector Fund (by the way, I accept outside donations...anyone?).

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Quote:
I dont know if he was pulling your leg, but I wouldnt purchase the Sanyo PLV-70. I personally do not like the picture that this projector produces. Yes it is bright and has great colors, but the image is the most digital looking that I have ever seen. There is no black just dark greys. Add to this the LCD banding and the picture is poor at best.
I'm so glad someone else feels this way. This is exactly my impression of the PLV 60, though I haven't seen the plv 70.

What shocked me was how much more "digital" and "flat" the image looked compared to the much more natural, film-like images I had seen on the Sony 10, 11, and 12 HT. Yes, the plv 60 had better contrast than the 10 and 11 HT, but contrast alone does not a better image make!

All that being said...I'd be very interested to see what Sanyo delivers in the 1920 x 1080 category!!! If they can produce a spectacular film-like image...it will be worth consideration...

-dave :)

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pzouboul
HI Andy,

My issue is light. I am in a room with 2 large door walls that are 6 inches apart from each other and 1 5'X4' windows that is also right next to the door walls. To say the least, quite a bit of sun comes through those windows and the screen I built is right across from them. I owned the XP21n and it did do a good job when the shades were pulled and a much better job when I put the goo stuff on my screen. (That Goo stuff from KBK really works great. put it on a white background and it is next to identical shade as a firehawk screen.) Anyway. What other reasonalby priced projector can be used as a temporary projector that will solve my light issue. Even though I watch most of my movies in the evening, the sun sets late where I am at so light is always somewhat of an issue until past 9:30PM.

do you know of dead pixel issues with the PLv-70
Your house is just like mine. The PLV70 would work great for you (unless you have problems with LCD in general. like those above). I have a 20HD.

That said, if I heard that Sanyo was coming out with somthing as spiffy as the new unit sounds this summer, I woul DAMN well wait until then.

BB

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Brandon,

That's my issue. I had purchased a xp21n which worked out great for the price that I got it for. I sold it a while back thinking I'll take less of a hit on the price. I was going to replace it with the PLV-70 but figured that I would wait for my local show rooms to demo the new DLP's. I saw the marrantz and found that it was way to dark in a sense that if I lit a match it would have an dim the screen let alone having the sun setting on it through verticals. I wanted to give the sharp a good look but you should have seen it, it was a mess (I haven't gone back to see the replacement yet. Than the whole Sony thing started, SRHD or whatever it's called and I'm not about to wait for it and now the 1080 LCD. I swear I'm going to loose my mind with this crazy hobby. I am 20 feet from throwing the entire room into the lake!.

That's why I posted. to see if someone had more info on the release date. The rep wouldn't tell me more, just enough to leave me salivating. Mr Wiggles is probably right when he says a large event like infocom would be the right time to announce. question is will it be within three months soon or within 6 to 8 months soon after. I am sick of waiting and figure whatever I'll buy I will take a loss anyway. but if I spend the money tomorrow and within three months a replacement with all the right fixins (for lack of a better phrase) comes out, believe you me when I say put on your diving gear and get ready to get wet, because theres going to be a free for all at the bottom of Cass lake!!!

When I bought the XP21n I had made a screen with the polywall plastic and remote controlled electronic masking system etc (all for about 100 bucks). it worked out really good but still thought the blacks weren't deep enough. I had heard about the KBK Goo for screens, bought it, rolled it on and wow! I could not believe the difference the stuff made. The entire screen jumped out at you. The blacks were way closer to black but the color was awesome. sort of looked like you were looking at movies through a CRT glass.

Have you or anyone you know tried this combo with the PLV-70?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Can't try the KBK goo. Have to have a rollup screen :(. Next house . . .

So you are stuck without a PJ now, and don't want to wait, and don't want to ge obsolete 2 months after buying.

Don't know your financial situation, but if you can afford an S2, it's a little better than mine. I too liked the S2, but even if I had $$, it iss totally unworkable at my house. The Sharp is nice too, the one you saw was certainly not typical. But again, not as bright as the Sanyos.

So if you can't stand being without a PJ, but don't want to get burned, maybe get something like the Sanyo Z1 for the several months. You should be able to sell it for at least half it's value when you upgrade and only take a $500 hit or so.

BB

·
Registered
84 Posts
I saw true nirvana at NAB this month - the 2K DLP chip in a private demo showing HD content at native 1920x1080. Yes, resolution was great; color was perfect - but what nailed the image for me was the dark blacks and the comensurate amazing contrast. Normally a walk to the screen edge holding your hand over the dark edge shows a very perceived grey/black transition. This transition was black-black... or almost so.

THIS is what Sanyo has to fix to attract the hi-end user to a hi-end next gen PJ.

Dan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would have been the smart thing to do but being the bonehead that I am I just purchased the plv-70 to get it over with. I figure I'll have it through the summer where it's really bright in my place due to the sun and the reflection sof the water.

A sanyo rep was at the store where I purchased the projector from(which I did over the phone). I had the sales person ask him about the 1080 version that the other rep told me about. the rep at the store said it's true and it is expected to come out end of Q3. But it will be about 60K. Then I asked her to ask him if there were going to be cheaper models and he pretty much said no comment.

60K for a LCD projector? sounds somewhat retarded to me. the best CRT's don't cost that much money. what in gods name could have they built that will be selling for 60K? for that kind of money I'd better be able to use it as an earing and not just have pure black levels but be able to suck the light into the screen like a black whole!!!

The rep was next to the sales person and the owner of the store when he said this and he didn't know that I was about to buy a plv-70 so to say he said this to discourage me from waiting? I doubt it!

If he is right and if a 1080 LCD projector comes out at over 50K let's say even over 40K, I don't see how sony's up and coming "miracle" 1080 projector will sell for less than 10K.

I figuring there going to gouge the rich boys (and girls, (don't want hate mail and all)) ;o) first, and get to peons like me later.

I guess the big question if Sanyo already has 1080 LCD that means sony has to have it to, but they also have their SRXD. That means sony will have two 1080 offerings. I'm sure that they will deliver a low cost version of the LCD and one day the SRXD. where does that leave DLP and LCOS. If the rumor is right and the SRXD than I think it's safe to say that sony will have two full lines of 1080 projectors through a wide price range by the end of next year. that is very good marketing ground to be on.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
James:

I can assure you that my unit was not defective as I sold it and the person is very happy with the unit. When I purchased my first projector 2 years ago (Sanyo PLV-60) I thought it was the greatest picture ever. Slowly over the 6 months that I owned the unit I started to notice its flaws and limitations mostly the banding and blooming.

Fast forward to earlier this year when I heard the hype of the PLV-70 and I figured id try it out. Yes the unit is better than the 60, but no the unit does not produce a filmlike picture. I have seen the vertical banding on all LCD units ive owned (PLV60, 70, and Sony 10HT and 11HT) Im sure its the limitations of LCD technology. Once you know what to look for its hard to miss

Im glad you enjoy your purchase, but there are other projectors under $7,000 that I would purchase in the PLV-70's place. The only way id recommend this projector is 1) DLP gives you headaches or 2) You absolutely have zero light control.

Andy

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.