AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only other TV I can really consider otherwise would be the Toshiba 26DF56 (or 30DF56), but these are only SD.

On the other hand, if I'm sitting back about 9 feet from the TV, would I even really notice the HD quality on a 26 inch screen?

I really just can' tell myself; the only new TVs the stores in the city sell are all lcds and plasmas, with some pricey slimfits, so I'm going to have to go on what I can research over my own eyes.

I have seen some other Toshiba HD CRTs, however, and their poor quality has me concerned about the SD 26DF56...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I actually think those SlimFits are quite cheap. Hell, in April Samsung is releasing a new 27" version for $500. I've already told you what I think about the Sanyo. I truly believe that if you buy it you'll be extremely disappointed, especially if you see someone else's HD display...any other HD display. But if a picture that looks like it is made out of glowing sand is your thing than have at it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why does it have to be one of those two? Can't you wait a little bit and save up $200-$300 more? That extra couple hundred dollars would make an ENORMOUS difference in quality.

By the way, have you ever been to dealnews.com? They always give info. on lots of HDTVs that are pretty damned cheap, mainly LCD. The other day I saw a 32" model there for $480. I don't know if you like CRT more but considering how poor that Sanyo is I'm guessing these cheap LCDs look better than that. Just scroll down the page until you come to "displays/TVs".

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculanus /forum/post/0

The only other TV I can really consider otherwise would be the Toshiba 26DF56 (or 30DF56), but these are only SD.

On the other hand, if I'm sitting back about 9 feet from the TV, would I even really notice the HD quality on a 26 inch screen?

I really just can' tell myself; the only new TVs the stores in the city sell are all lcds and plasmas, with some pricey slimfits, so I'm going to have to go on what I can research over my own eyes.

I have seen some other Toshiba HD CRTs, however, and their poor quality has me concerned about the SD 26DF56...

I've found that with my 26" CRT

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/0

I'd take the Sanyo over the Samsung TXS2782, and I don't know why you would even be considering those Toshibas.

Have you actually seen the Sanyo? Yes, the SlimFits are prone to geometry problems but at least the picture quality is watchable.

I wonder if some of you may be offering advice about the Sanyo this member is asking about based on what you've seen of the Sanyo 30744. The 30744 and 30746 are totally different when it comes to PQ. Sanyo cut costs on the 30746 by a couple hundred dollars and the PQ is absolutely horrible as a result.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli /forum/post/0

here's a 27" slimfit for $500

http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=9391

Yeah, I brought up the new ones coming out in April because hopefully Samsung might have fixed the geometry with these newer ones...but I doubt it. It sure would be nice if they did because I personally believe these sets are awesome with the exception of that one big problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman1972 /forum/post/0

Why does it have to be one of those two? Can't you wait a little bit and save up $200-$300 more? That extra couple hundred dollars would make an ENORMOUS difference in quality.

it's not a matter of being able to afford it. i could easily afford the sony 34". the wife would just ensure i don't live to enjoy it.

different values is all i can say.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:

it's not a matter of being able to afford it. i could easily afford the sony 34". the wife would just ensure i don't live to enjoy it.

different values is all i can say.

I think your wife is going to be more upset when she sees that you spent $500 on a Sanyo that doesn't look any better than your current TV. Really, you need to talk to her and make her understand that the PQ difference is bigger than the price difference.

·
Registered
491 Posts
As ridiculous as it may sound to you that Sanyo isn't really going to look better than that 20" Apex. The SD will look worse ( We're talking grain on a grand scale. ) and a HD feed through it looks only marginally better. I had that Sanyo for App. 2 weeks and I was like, "This is HD? What's the big deal?" HD through it looked only a little bit better than my 19" RCA SDTV and SD looked far worse. Then I took it back and got a Samsung SlimFit and was absolutely blown away. The difference in PQ was staggering. But I ended up returning the Samsung as well because of geometry problems. Then I got the Sony XBR970 and am now satisfied ( Although it too has some slight geometry imperfections but every CRT does. ). In terms of PQ I rate it equal to the SlimFit but it doesn't have the bad bowing problems and the screen is 4" bigger.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman1972 /forum/post/0

Have you actually seen the Sanyo? Yes, the SlimFits are prone to geometry problems but at least the picture quality is watchable.

I wonder if some of you may be offering advice about the Sanyo this member is asking about based on what you've seen of the Sanyo 30744. The 30744 and 30746 are totally different when it comes to PQ. Sanyo cut costs on the 30746 by a couple hundred dollars and the PQ is absolutely horrible as a result.

I assume I was looking at a HT30746; it was about five or six months ago. I'd take whatever I saw over my SDTV, those Toshiba SDTVs, and pretty much any other SDTVs. The Samsung is 4:3, and it doesn't even have a vertical squeeze, right? Bleh. I wouldn't pay $500+ for that thing.

I live right by a Wal-Mart and go by there pretty frequently, so I'll try to look at the Sanyo soon and see if I agree with you about it. I thought the one I looked at a few months ago seemed fine, but maybe I'll change my tune.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:

I assume I was looking at a HT30746; it was about five or six months ago. I'd take whatever I saw over my SDTV, those Toshiba SDTVs, and pretty much any other SDTVs

The reason I'm considering the Toshiba SDTV is because:

1. it's cheap

2. it's digital and QAM equipped

3. it's 16:9 480i.

4. it's 26" and my couch is 9 feet from the stand

I'm under the impression that this is a top tier SDTV. SDTV nontheless, but perhaps delivering a better picture than the poorly built Sanyo HDTV.

i asked a friend in albany to take a look at both sets tomorrow.... she isn't exactly a video fanatic and couldn't even say what 1080i means, but at least she may be able to provide an objective opinion of which looks better.

The real problem here is, just no one has seen both of these sets in person. in fact, i don't think i found anyone write an opinion of the toshiba at all on the entire forum. now, that may be because it completely blows, or maybe just overlooked given that's an sdtv. the fact is, the information is just not available.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:

The reason I'm considering the Toshiba SDTV is because:

1. it's cheap

2. it's digital and QAM equipped

3. it's 16:9 480i.

4. it's 26" and my couch is 9 feet from the stand

I'm under the impression that this is a top tier SDTV. SDTV nontheless, but perhaps delivering a better picture than the poorly built Sanyo HDTV.

If you can get one cheap, then I understand why you're considering them. But the MSRP isn't cheap at all, IMO. Also, I haven't looked at either of those models for more than 3 seconds myself, but everything that I've read here would indicate that Toshibas are not "top tier." And I've been hearing that the new Toshibas are really unreliable. I just don't trust Toshibas based on what I've heard from other people, and I think those retail prices are way too high.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a poster in another thread just mentioned something: being that my primary, nearly exclusive use of this TV will be DVD playback, he suggests that I just forget about HD and save bucks with an SD. Do you guys agree with this? My concern is DVDs are made at 480p, but SD can only display 480i.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:

I assume I was looking at a HT30746; it was about five or six months ago. I'd take whatever I saw over my SDTV, those Toshiba SDTVs, and pretty much any other SDTVs. The Samsung is 4:3, and it doesn't even have a vertical squeeze, right? Bleh. I wouldn't pay $500+ for that thing.

I live right by a Wal-Mart and go by there pretty frequently, so I'll try to look at the Sanyo soon and see if I agree with you about it. I thought the one I looked at a few months ago seemed fine, but maybe I'll change my tune.

The Samsung I had was 16:9.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too am considering this tv. I saw it at Wallymart, and the pq doesn't look that bad. The colours definitely don't jump out, but I figure it's not set right.

They had Superman on, and I don't understand how the other tv's they had on it were displaying it in HD (I guess?), but this one didn't go wide all the way (maybe it wasn't showing it in HD?). Anybody know what it'd be displaying if the picture was like that?

I want a tv that's HD capable, but I've got digital satellite, that'll probably output in S-Video, so I would like a good picture. It has component out, but it's not HD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.