AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't Tom Stites state the contrast ratio on this puppy is only 100:1 in the thread about it? Hardly think this is adequate for HT, VERY unfortunately!

Dan

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes he did say 100:1. But the spec sheets read 200:1. That's why I said "no better than 200:1". I had heard that the first units may not have the best contrast ratios, but they were still working on improving contrast. At this stage, given that the product is roughly five months late, I'm not really sure what to believe. As Mark suggests above, I will be waiting for Infocomm before doing anything.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
200:1 won't cut it.

I don't think that HT is even one of the target markets for this guy.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My choices are a JVC G20 or Sanyo XP21N with Panamorph assuming one can get Panamorphable aspect ratios with the Sanyo.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I think that the Sanyo/D-ILA folks are spoiled (myself included).

200:1 contrast is not as bad as the mega-contrast projectors make it sound. The 10HT makes a lot of people very happy, with a lower contrast than that. Many CRT projectors can't even get 80:1 on a checkerboard contrast measurement, but they make a lot of people happy.

If you are into ultimate image quality, above all else, even Tom said you should look at the Xenon D-ILAs. If you will trade some of that performance for a quiet, cool performer with a less expensive bulb, this might be a better choice.

In a lot of ways, this sounds much more like a Sony 10HT than the rest of its D-ILA brethren...1365x768 resolution in 16:9 area, quiet, cool, UHP bulb, similar contrast...but it has better blacks and no screen door. Sounds like 11HT competition to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok. So JVC has finally come forward (or soon) with the DS1/G3010Z. The brightness is a reasonable 1300 lumens. Plus it is a DILA projector, with all the benefits of fill ratio and lack of potential "screen door" issues. Plus I can make use Mark Hunter's "tweakers-heaven" program called "DILARD". But it has a disappointing contrast ratio of no better than 200:1 - marginally acceptable, I think.

In the other corner, we have Sanyo. They have a couple of very competitive products, but they use LCD technology. Either the XP21N or the PLV-60 would be the two that I would consider. Now, these are LCD, and we know that DILA is "supposed" to provide a better picture - at least in terms of fill ratio.

But - my question is - would you not have more flexibility with the Sanyos because of the higher brightness (2500 lumens on the XP21N), and greater contrast ratio (up to 700:1)?

No - I'm not in a position to consider the G15 or other DILAs because I'm not into hushboxes are supercoolers. That's why the DS1 was of interest.

I would value your opinions on the face off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Barry,

If you're not in a real hurry and can wait a few weeks, it will probably help your decision.

[*] You will hear some reviews from the Sanyo early-adopters, and will find out how they perform[*] Myself, and many others, will be checking out the D-ILA DS1 (and other new entries) at InfoComm on June 13th. Again, more reviews.

Anyway, the next few weeks should tell us a lot about your 2 contenders...

Not to mention that there could be other products announced at InfoComm that could provide new options for you.

(PS - For full disclosure, I am already arranging to take delivery of a DS1 as soon as they are available).

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My NEC has a contrast ratio of 200 or so and looks great with a gray screen and zero ambient.

My DILA (G1000) has similar contrast and no screen door.

The NEC screen door is almost unobservable with slight defocussing.

Both aren't bright enough for the ultimate.

Don Stewart has measured great contrast and simultaneous brightness with the XP21N.

I expect the XP21N and Panamorph with slight defocussing to be vastly superior to the Sony HT11 and Sanyo PLV-60 because of brightness. Don't worry about soft images, the content providers have guaranteed that all images will be softer than the resolution of the projectors.

Contrast discussions between 500 and 1000 are red herrings. The eye is logarithmic and your choice of screen will have a much larger impact on perceived contrast ratio.

Cave bats need not comment.

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.