AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new lamp in the mail today--fourth one in two years.

While I seem to be getting around 1,500 hours from each one, they're all failing from excessive heat. The lamp (the quartz? rod inside the reflector housing) starts to balloon near the base. Once that happens, lumen output goes kaput.

I have a feeling even WITHOUT pressure drop from the filter, there's simply not enough airflow. The reflectors on the past three actually cracked long before the lamp died. They're obviously running too hot!

Any of you Sanyo folks experiencing the same thing?

This weekend I'm building a makeshift fan-powered box and *ducting* the exhaust from the PJ. I'm picturing a copy-paper box having a divider sheet with 2 or 3 small fans mounted in it. The duct will terminate in one plenum and the fans will discharge into the other. Relief will be through holes in the side of the discharge plenum. It'll also be lined with foam, so hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone!

-Frank

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think other PJ companies need to take the lead from Samsung on bulb life. They have a Rear projection DLP with 8000 hour bulb life.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I only got 500 hours from my first before it failed. Then shortly after the new one was put in, the fan failed.

I raised my projector up so the intakes have more clearance from the pedestal mount. And I clean my filters weekly. We'll see if this makes a difference.

I'd love to get 1500 hours, that would give me two years of usage. At which time I can replace this projector with my new "Star Wars" laser unit, pitch black, 10,000 CR and 3000 lumens, for $3,000.

Or maybe I'll have to buy another lamp! :D

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
And I clean my filters weekly.
Really Dan?

I have yet to clean mine......but I typically only watch movies on the weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
I only got 500 hours from my first before it failed.

Dan
I got around 900 from the stock lamp. After that, I started cycling it as little as possible, even when it ultimately meant leaving the PJ on for several hours longer. (If I go to the supermarket or something and it's on, it stays on.)

Was the reflector on your old lamp cracked? (It doesn't affect performance, but it's not *supposed* to do that!)

However, I really don't think this particular failure mode is hasted by short-cycling. Since glass flows over time... give it enough time at an elevated temperature and there you go. Hopefully lowering the temperature will squeeze a few hundred hours more out of it.

-Frank

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a me too post more or less but, coincidentally, my bulb blew (literally) last weekend. 600 hours on the bulb, ceiling mounted, cool basement. The filters were dirty but not caked with dust. The bulb failed in the middle of a movie (luckily I wasn't demo'ing it for anyone) with a very loud pop. The glass front had fissures and two large chunks missing. I can understand a catastrophic failure due to the heat but after a mere 600 hours? :(

Got a new price-gouging bulb and all is good again with the exception of a chunk of glass rolling around that I couldn't extricate.

Any comments on whether extending the cooling-down period from the default 90 seconds to maybe 3 minutes would in some way help reduce bulb ware?

McL

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by McLardAss
The glass front had fissures and two large chunks missing. I can understand a catastrophic failure due to the heat but after a mere 600 hours? :(

Any comments on whether extending the cooling-down period from the default 90 seconds to maybe 3 minutes would in some way help reduce bulb ware?

McL
Incidentally, was the reflector also cracked?? I'm pretty sure it's a design oversight or concession on Sanyo's part. I if my lamp is running too hot, I'm probably not alone. Maybe they could... I dunno... address the problem?

I don't *suspect* a longer cool down is necessary. The most significant part of the cycle is probably within the first 10 seconds after the lamp is extinguished. (I'm just thowing a number out there, I haven't actually calculated anything.) The greater the temperature difference between the lamp and the surrounding air, the greater the heat transfer. Once it cools down a bit, much less heat transfer is taking place. It probably cools relatively fast when you turn it off since it doesn't have much mass.

Hmmmm... what about drilling a series of holes in the reflector, where they wouldn't affect the optics? It's already open to the atmosphere. Anybody daring enough?

-Frank

·
Registered
18 Posts
The reflector on mine was intact. Perhaps the shorter life of mine didn't allow time for the cracks in the reflector to occur. Other than the large cracks and missing chunks of glass the unit as a whole looks fine.

As for drilling holes, lemme enjoy my new bulb for a few months before I have to tell my wife I need another $400 light bulb :D Any one else want to be a guinea pig?

McL

PS I'm curious to see how your DIY cooling box goes. Post pics if you get a chance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by McLardAss
I'm curious to see how your DIY cooling box goes.
If it works out, I'll build another one out of something a bit more stylish than a cardboard box. If anything it'll be worthwhile just to have a "silent" picture. Hey, imagine that! (I only implied it, but the PJ's fan would be disabled or removed.)

-Frank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only two other Sanyo users who've read this have replaced the lamp?

While we're at it, if you've replaced the lamp on *any* projector, it would be excellent to hear from you folks as well. Looking at PJ's in general, it appears that maximizing lamp life is not a design priorty. (Suppose they looked into the issue and came up with better lamp cooling solutions--what's in it for them? Nothing.)

The AVS forum serves a knowledge base of sorts and I was more than surprised by the lack of past-threads on lamps. Heck, there are more posts contributing to the [inexperienced] belief that cables don't make a difference!

;-)

-Frank

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've only got 250 hours on my PLV70 lamp, so hopefully I've got a lot more time to think about it. I've just started warning my wife that they don't last forever and they're expensive.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Frank,

What Sanyo do you own?

PLV-70's were received in Sept. '02 earliest. We have ~430 hours on our lamp, no problems, and no noticeable dimming. I think I will be quite happy with 1500 hours, and if we get more than that, I'll be very pleased.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

I have a PLV-60 and am on the 3rd bulb.

The first I changed has now 1280 hours on it with nearly no visible marks of usage. The shaft is only a little bulky and has small white markings on the inside. I keep it for interim replacement until the next bulb is sent to me.

The second bulb lasted for about 1900 hours. It got very dark at the end, you could see right into the lens without hurting the eyes. The shaft was very bulky on 2 sides and had huge white markings on the inside.

The third is now near 900 hours and still strong.

My estimate is that 1500 hours should be always possible. I heard from one who claims his bulb is holding for over 4000 hours now, maybe my third will last that long, too. ;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the XP21, BTW.

Yes, as soon as the base of the lamp balloons, the output drops to nothing. I'm no expert in lamp technology, but I've been wondering if the problem can be avoided to some degree. Maybe that's just what happens to the material over time, no matter how cool an environment it operates in.

-Frank

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,

I'm a relatively new LCD projector owner as I only purchased my XP21 last year, my first bulb gave up the ghost at 600 hours or so, I've just received my new bulb so I'm carefully going to log the hours on it. I was assured that the bulb is guaranteed for 2000 hours or 1 year, so I figure if I get 1 year out of it I can then budget for a bulb a year.

The ballooning of the base is exactly what happened to mine. If it is heat it would be real easy to build a duct with an 80mm silent fan as used in quiet HTPC's. That should crank up the airflow whilst having precious little impact on noise.

The other change my projector will see will be in the next 3 months when I move it from being mounted on a shelf to being suspended on a dedicated ceiling mount. The mount I'm looking at is very open so it shouldn't impede airflow at all.

I'll follow this thread with interest to see if other Sanyo owners are suffering.

Best wishes,

Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have a n XP21E, first bulb lasted less than 400 hours. Still on 2nd bulb haven't checked lamp life yet.

This thread also reminds me to clean the filters, used to clean them every 2 weeks, haven't done so since replacing bulb.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a twin in the form of Eiki lc x999. almost two years and still on the same bulb, I keep the air conditioning temperature at 77 or 76 degrees and keep a ceiling fan on during projector operation. length of films 50% are 3 hours long (foreign films) and 50% regular rental dvds . keeping the fingers crossed

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have around 2400 hrs on the original lamp in my PLV-60. Still looks respectable, some brightness loss but I would NOT look into the lens.

But based on the results here I will be ordering new bulbs tomorrow!! ;-)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I Have the XP21,

My first lamp lasted 1208 hrs before I changed it out, was still bright enough, but had big cracks around the base.

Pics were posted some time ago. can't find the thread, have attached the pic.

Second lamp lasted 1450 hrs before brightness became an issue.

The new lamp has been in for 975 hrs to date.

Lamps cycle time is "on" for about 3 to 8 hrs depending on the day.

Room temp is about 24'c.

The projector is ceiling mounted,

origonally on a ceiling mount bracket, the first and second lamp,

Now in a Hushbox, since relocating to Switzerland from Hong Kong.

I will be pulling the projector out this weekend to check/clean etc.

will report back to see if the lamp is in the same condition as the first.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Where's everyone getting replacement lamps these days? Any improvement in the high prices?

I'm still on my second lamp. Saw no "ballooning" in the base of the first one but it did fail at something under 500 hours.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.