AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look, I can't afford the Sanyo PLC-XP21N (that seems to be popular) so I kind of wonder if the Sanyo PLV-60HT would be comparable regarding picture quality?

(I know the 60HT is darker and that I will miss detail due to that .. but please give me a general comparison.)

------------------

M. Risberg (Stockholm, Sweden)

AV consultant @ Intelligent Sound

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Don't rely on the retail prices for comparison. You can get the 21N clone (Boxlight 38t) for LESS than the PLV-60.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JHouse:
You can get the 21N clone (Boxlight 38t) for LESS than the PLV-60.
That Boxlight you're talking so much about .. what is that?

And should I rather buy a 21N than the PLV-60 .. regarding to picture quality?

I'm so afraid I'll end up with a PJs that has washed out colors and a bad contrast. Today I own a great CRT but want a much brighter picture. That's all! :)

------------------

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Anyone who thinks a XP21N image might be too bright and washed out has never seen one. With good source material and a greyhawk, the colors are vivid and the blacks are solid.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Try here or here and read this .

Boxlight 38t

Intense colors and very high contrast.

I think the MLA may make the difference for you, given that you're a CRT guy. It makes the fill ratio look like DLP.

Good Luck.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx:
With good source material and a greyhawk, the colors are vivid and the blacks are solid.
Thanks for all the answers so far ...

Here are two new ones:

1. If I order a XP21 or a 38t, must I send it to someone for modification of, lets say, black levels to get the great picture you're talking about?

2. I've heard that projecting images onto a GreyHawk and you won't be able to reproduce perfect white. Is that true and should I bother?

------------------

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Those who have seen a Grayhawk with it say it's great. I haven't seen it, but it looks perfect to me on my 1.3 gain white screen.

I suspect that the white projected on a Grayhawk, though slightly gray, is the whitest thing in the room, and fools the eye/brain into seeing it as pure white. It's the same thing ambient light does to blacks, as is currently being discussed on another thread here.

No, the contrast is there out of the box. This isn't one of those machines that needs to be professionally tweaked.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I will second what Joe and Jonmx are saying and add that I do have a Grayhawk with the XP21N and it did make a major improvement to contrast and black level. White sure looks white to me.

Over here at least the XP21N is just a hair cheaper than the PLV60. For me, it was perfect for my situation. I do not have complete control of ambient light. The extra lumens this projector has give it real punch.

Supposedly, the XP21N is going to be discontinued, so you might be able to get a better price on it even than we did.

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Dan, is it being replaced by the 45? I think the MLA is pretty important for close viewing.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yes and the 45 will have MLA. It almost sounds like they combined the 21 and 30 to end up with the 45. The 45, for example, has the same lumen output as the 30.

Joe, do you get vertical banding that is most noticeable on dark scenes when you are inputting TV? How is your TV input set up? I am inputting on SVHS for the TV and the picture is actually not so bad except for vertical banding all the way across the screen.

After researching all the Quadscan threads, I found a coherent explanation as to how you set this beast up for different settings with different inputs. FIRST, you select the input, then you follow it with settings.

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Dan, all my S-Video sources go to my A/V receiver for switching and then the receiver's s-video output goes to the QSE, and this includes S-Video from the DSS, Replay and Laserdisc. The QSE has only one wire going to the projector, and that is a VGA/15 pin/RGB and it is connected to "computer 1". I have no such banding. I can't really remember now, but intuitively I would set the QSE's output to XGA first, then turn on the projector to "computer 1 input" and have it sync to 1080i, and check to make sure it did in the projector menu. Then I would size and locate the picture on the QSE for each QSE input being used.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
It's the same as the LP350 to me. 39db is the rating. I never notice it.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status