AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could you guys please give me advice weather its worth getting a SANYO PLC-5500N used for around $800 ? or should i wait for a better deal?

i only plan to watch dvd's on the porjector.

i'd greatly appreciate any input.

thank you!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a PLC-8800E, which I think is equiv to the US PLC-8810N. This is similar to the 5500N I beleive. What you have to remeber is that these projectors were originally designed as business projector so whilst they produce a nice desktop image, they lack the contrast of true HT projectors, which in terms of LCDs is lacking anyway. Remebering that, I use mine in my room for my 'Bedroom Home Theater' and will contine to do so while I am studying, but will probably upgrade when I get a real job. The scalers from sanyo's older projectors are absolute crap so you will definitely want a scaler or HTPC (what I use) to drive it. Mine, running at its native resolution of 1024 x 768 looks great to me although black is a greyish, but I still love the big screen feel and my friends dont even notice the shortcomings. Using a HTPC also allows greater colour controls which you may not get with standalone devices.

If you are looking for a manual, you will not find one on Sanyo's site, but an using this as an OEM, Proxima made a projector. Form my model it was called the 9210UG, do a search, find the matching model and download the user manual from the proxima web site.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Andrew

·
Registered
229 Posts
After a quick check, they are very similar projectors but they use different bulbs and different resolutions. Same contrast ratio, same ansi lumenms, except yours is 832 x 624 pixels native and mine is 1024 x 768.

Was also made by proxima and called the DP5600 - Get the manual from their site. Oh, by the way, I paid $AUD 950 for mine, with a few problems that I have since fixed. this is about 500-600 US, so unless it has mega low hours, a new bulb or is in tip top condition, it is prob a little too expensive.

Also, the fan is not the quietest either, but all the more reason to turn the movie up!

Dont get me wrong, it has its faults but if you have never had a projector before and can drive it from a PC running Pixel Perfect resolution you will enjoy it immensely.

Andrew

·
Registered
229 Posts
Slight correction - ON/OFF contrast levels are different but ANSI contrast will be very similar. Also 8810N is 650 ANSI lumens, 5500N is 500 ansi lumes, not really very noticeable.

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.