AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for an LCD projector... I have a wide price range ($2000 to $5000 or so), but want to make a good decision. It appears that the XP18N and 60HT can be had for around $4800 (60HT for $4500 on group purchase). The XP21N for about $5500.

If I'm correct, MLA is the added advantage of the 21N over the 18N. Is this worth the added cost? I'm not particularly annoyed by the screen-door effect.

Now, I'll be doing 4:3 and 16:9 both with a good deal of computer (HTPC) use on the projector. I've used the NEC VT540 and been happy, but the added contrast and brightness of the above Sanyos would be fantastic. It also seems I'll not have any opportunity to evaluate any of these units unless I travel a bit.

Is the contrast/black level difference significant between (say) the VT540 and these Sanyos? For a combination of 16:9 and 4:3, is there a particular advantage to the 16:9 native or 4:3 native? I'm going to have to deal with black areas in either case and I doubt I'll notice the added horizontal pixel count of the 60HT.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yes, the MLA is worth the difference. You didn't say what the ambient light constraints in your setup was. How much 16:9 vs 4:3?

I have the Boxlight 38T (Sanyo XP21N clone) and I love it. But I also have a serious ambient light problem and watch a lot of 4:3.

How critical is black level to you? LCD is somewhat of a compromise in this area.

Tell us more!

Dan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Where can you get 60HT for $4,500? How much is the PLV-60 (without HT) these days, last heard it was $4,000 with freebies.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
17 Posts
bought a plv-60ht from projectorpeople.com on tuesday... got it today. They quoted me 4700 for a new one, 4600 for a demo with 3 hrs and 4500 for one with 53 hours. Good service and they were very knowledgable. So far so good.

have'nt seen 4000 anywhere.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. I didn't realize there was a difference between the 60 and 60HT. I just figured it was a suffix that got dropped by some. The group purchase forum: http://pub66.ezboard.com/fgrouppurch...ductsforumfrm8

Posted this thing for $4500. Now that I don't have my email handy, I don't know which one. Ambient light is somewhat of a problem, so I'm leaning towards the brighter 4:3 projectors over the PLV-60HT. I'd really like to take a look at the 18N and 21N to determine if the MLA is a big deal to me. Any pictures of close-ups for this?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what does MLA stand for??/ I am considering the Sanyo PLV-60 (as well as the Sony 10HT and Stuido Experience Cinema 13HD) and did not about the HT suffix.

Thanks

Brett ([email protected])

------------------

Klipsch

KLF-30's Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds (2pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Marantz SR8000 DD/DTS

Toshiba SD-4205 5 Disc DVD

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsu VCR

Monster Cable speaker cables & Sub cable

Audioquest interconnects

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dear Walter,

Follow up on the earlier post. It is all hooked up and I am very happy with the purchase!

Good luck

[This message has been edited by plannr (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Plannr,

I am thinking of making the very same purchase from Projector People. Any dead pixels? Also, have you connected an HTPC to it yet? Anything further to report?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi,

MLA = Micro Lens Array (i think). It basically makes the screen door go away (for the most part) and I think also helps to increase the brightness.

I picked up a 13HD and am driving it with a radeon and a dish6000. This setup kicks ass. I am running the radeon at 1360x768 and have a 114in diag screen. I find the colors to be much better than my lp350, and I love the widescreen pc desktop.

I would highly recommend the 13HD, and if you are interested, give Hank a call over at studioexperience.com. Service could not have been better.

Any more specific questions about the 13HD, send me an email.

-Maynard

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maynard:

MLA = Micro Lens Array (i think). It basically makes the screen door go away (for the most part) and I think also helps to increase the brightness.

Actually, the purpose of the MLA is to increase brightness. Some believe this also helps screen door effect, but it by no means makes it go away. The only difference between the XP18 and XP21 is the MLA, and brightness goes up almost 600 lumens.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Maynard, Thanks.....I suppose that the PLV 60HT does everything the XP18 and XP21 do and more??

What is the difference between the PLV60HT and the Cinema 13HD? Price wise I think the Cinema 13HD is a few hundred more based on the research I have done. Isn't the Cinema 13HD a clone of the PLV-60HT? Does either have any features that the other doesn't that are notable?

Thanks guys.

Brett

------------------

Klipsch

KLF-30's Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds (2pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Marantz SR8000 DD/DTS

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsu VCR

Audioquest interconnects

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx:
Actually, the purpose of the MLA is to increase brightness. Some believe this also helps screen door effect, but it by no means makes it go away. The only difference between the XP18 and XP21 is the MLA, and brightness goes up almost 600 lumens.
Jonmx,

You are correct that MLA does not make the screen door go away, but in my opinion (I saw the XP21) from any reasonable viewing distance it is not visible.

Bloomis,

The 13HD is the same guts as the PLV60HT, but in a white cabinet. AFAIK, it is only sold at studioexperience. I am quite pleased with the service at studio, and would do business with them again.

As far as comparing it to the 21 and 18, I liked it better because it was 16x9. It is rated at 1200 lumens, vs higher for the 21 and 18, but I figured that when projecting 16x9, I was loosing brighness on the 21 and 18, so for 16x9 material brighness is probably the same.

The screen door is very very slightly visible for me, I am using a 114 DIY grey screen, sitting about 15 ft back. A quick touch on the focus hides the screen door very well.

As far as differences between the 13hd and the plv60, I have heard that there are firmware differences, but other than that they are the same (the 13hd is class b cert for use in the home, if that even matters...)

-maynard

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got my 13 HD after researching for a year all of the same PJs that you are looking at. I would make the following comments.

- I am thrilled. The image is amazing and I have not even tweaked it yet. Progressive DVD player and good video transfer (i.e. Toy Story) are mezmorizing.

- The only reasons to go with one of the other Sanyo's would be pure cost or a huge ambient light problem (and I mean huge because this PJ is bright and even with my lights on, the image is more than watchable).

- If someone says that you don't need the 16X9 panel, I would seriously think this one through. First of all, you are getting this to be "tickled pink" when you watch DVDs and for all practical purposes they are all widescreen format. Also, If you are getting it to watch 4:3, rethink the purchase. Even with DVDO, VHS is not very good and Cable is worse. I cannot comment on DSS but I suspect it is not great either. The real point is that a high quality RPTV will give a much more satisfying image for typical TV signals.

- My final thought regards the PLV-60 vs. 13HD differences. I suspect there is very little difference as the others have posted. However, I have not seen the "posterization" issue and this seems to be consistent from all the posts on the forums. Finally, the most important point...Adam at Studio Experience and the whole SE experience is nothing but a pure pleasure. He is knowlegable, curteous, diligent and most of all customer focused. I have not found anyone better to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
MTI, Ramosma and Maynard- Thanks for the helpful responses. I am strongly leaning towards the SE Cinema 13HD based on all of the great customer service comments and the obvious picture quality reasons.

I am purchasing for Widescreen DVD's first, then Cable/DSS and then VHS materials. So 16:9 is a must.

Thanks again

Brett

------------------

Klipsch

KLF-30's Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds (2pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Marantz SR8000 DD/DTS

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsu VCR

Audioquest interconnects

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
If you want 16:9, the 13HD is the one for three reasons 1)contrast ratio. 2) color and 3)service. As for screen door, just move back. I personally don't like defocusing because I just "know" it looks "softer" than it's supposed to. I hate losing the sharpness. Move back a foot or two (or just decrease the picture size a little) and it miraculously just goes away. Then, all you will see is a bright, contrasty, colorful picture.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
460 Posts
One quick note, not all PLV-60 owners have reported the posterization issue. I do not see it on my PLV-60HT.

Robert

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.