AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search on this projector....and came up with alot of members, asking for info, from people who have seen this model, up close and personal. Seems no one ever responds with any experience with this particular model.

So I will try again. Has anyone out there demo-ed this projector?

On paper it sounds very enticing...and along with the projector central recommendation...why haven't members given this model the once over. Street price of $6400 and a three year warranty...certainly can not be the hold up. Why aren't these numbers creating more curiosty?

XGA (1024 x 768) Multimedia

Brightness level at 2500 ANSI Lumens

2500 Lumens due to Micro Lens Array (MLA).

The primary technical objective of MLA is to boost light transmission through the LCD panels.

Contrast Ratio of 700:1

HDTV COMPATIBLE ,accepting the 1080i, 1035i, 720p, 575p, and 480p HDTV resolution standards.

Is it just the fact, that its an LCD projector? Can't be.... because there seems to always be interest in the Sony VW10HT.

Is it the company? Personally haven't heard anything either way on Sanyo workmanship.

So What is the Story?

To borrow the catch phrase from the X-Files...The Truth is Out There !

Michael

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Do a search, there are a number of positive reviews of the XP21N. It has certain limitations, but all in all is a very competitive choice for home theater.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ken

Seems, when I put the full model number I got the non-review hits. When just using the XP21N without the PLC prefix, I can see alot more posts.

Any thoughts on the Projector Centrals recommendation of using a Stewart Grayhawk screen. How expensive is this screen?

Michael

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The XP21N definitely needs a gray screen for most HT setups. It works well with the Greyhawk, but might benefit from an even darker DIY screen.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please search for the XP18n as well.

Wiggles did a nice review.

E-mail me privately a list of questions and I will answer them (I have owned a XP21 for a month or so now)

It is fantastic.

You are right, the numbers are great, the in-home performance is too.

People are waiting on 16:9 panels- that is the ONLY reason I can think of not to buy this unit now and be happy.

Perhaps there are more "HT" units on the horizon, but this seems pretty easy to met- all the controls are via remote, and I run everything through a Quadscan.

There is one very very minor picture flaw that consitently appears (slighylt lighter line on far left of panel) which Sanyo techs told me was a convergence problem and basically it happens. This is VERY minimal.

My unit also developed a bit of an extra buzzing sound- and some others noticed the intermitant start of it in their machines (about the 2-4 week range).

I sent mine back and Sanyo could not detect the problem. Now I have it ceiling mounted so I cannot really notice (and I don;t want to really) if it came back or not.

I do not use a Grey screen, and it is not required IMO.

Personally, if oyu have apermanent home installation, then maybe a screen, butthey are so expensive ($2k) I think your first $2k beyond the projector is better spent on better video processing (HTPC or Quadscan).

E-mail [email protected] with any questions I will be happy to answer.

DG

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Dan:

I'll ask you several questions on this thread so the others can see the answer as well:

What DVD player are you using? Progressive or standard? How are you handling NTSC feed?

There have been several comments about how this projector is almost too bright at night. Are you using a filter or keeping lights on in the theater?

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dan,

I am using a 480i Toshiba 3109 DVD player.

I get NTSC via Dish NEtwork Sat feed.

Everything is fed through a Quadscan Desktop V 2.50, and then sent via VGA to a Computer 1 input on the projector.

This eliminates the internal scaler, which I have found problematic.

An important note discovered by another XP21n owner is that those of use reporting poor internal scaling are using the VGA input.

Sanyo techs confirmed the Video (component) inputs have different (superior) processin,g which could be the result of Wiggles "very good scaler" comments with his review using the component ins.

It;s not too bright. It;s like a tube TV, kinda glows.

I normally watch with some room lights on anyway, because htis is my living room TV, so I like to be able to see at the same time. Even in complete dark it doesn;t bother me. Just don;t look into the lens when it's on (then it's a tad too bright).

dg

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help!

Have you seen HDTV with this projector?

Using one of the new DirecTV HD Satellite receivers and a progressive scan DVD player...would you run the satellite receiver through the Quadscan and connect the progressive scan DVD directly to the HD 480p component video inputs?

Michael

·
Registered
168 Posts
HD is phenomenal with this (as I suspect with any) projector.

It is probably the ONLY thing making me think of upgrading this unit (not now, but even in a coupla years). Basically it is the only limitation this unit has to my eyes (granted, it is one shared by 99% of the projector market).

HD has much more info than XGA, but is clearly superior to DVD even on an XGA panel.

I use Dish NEtwork, which has better HD content (two movie channels).

If you have a Quadscan experiment with the 490op direct from DVD or feed 480i from DVD to the Quad and let us know which is superior!

dg

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
DanG:

"Sanyo techs confirmed the Video (component) inputs have different (superior) processin,g which could be the result of Wiggles "very good scaler" comments with his review using the component ins."

Interesting. . .

Then perhaps this projector could be used with a DVD player alone, if it has conponent outs. But would you use a progressive scan DVD player or a regular interlaced one, in the latter case allowing the projector to do the conversion?

This conversation may also apply to the PLV60 which apparently has pretty much the same internal electronics.

Sanyo may have assumed most HT users would hook the DVD player up with the component ins and so made the electronics of those inputs better.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm seriously comsidering the following combo for my next projection system.

Sanyo XP21N

Panamorph

A suitable scalar driven by a DTC100.

A DIY Grey screen.

What's a decent troublefreee scalar that can be used with this combo and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I want to take component 540p -> 1024x768 -> 16:9 with the Panamorph

or DVD 2.35 -> letterboxed 1024x768 -> 2.35 with Panamorph

or component 4:3 -> 768x768 -> 4:3 pillared with Panamorph

The deciding factor will be the screen door visible with the Panamorph once I get it.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ken,

Instead of the RCA DTC100 why not try the Panasonic TU-HDS20.....it output formats are 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i as compared to the DTC100 1080i, 540p, and 480i.

Doesn't ABC output its HDTV in 720p ?

Michael

[This message has been edited by Archangel (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Whoa!

Quite a list of demands!

1. Why are you outputting 540p from your DTC?

For HD content it outputs 1080i.

540p would be it upsampling and de-interlacing NTSC signals.

Why would you trust the electronics in a $400 sat receiverto do this? If you are planning to buy a $6k porojector, and $2k processor anyway, why not output 480i from the DTC for NTSC signals and let a processor do all the upsampling?

VERY few processors as I understand it can take a progressive input and scale it.

dg

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I thought that the DTC100 1080i was really 540p.

If its a true 1080i, than no problem. The only HD I get is HBO-HD, and the quality of the rest of the feeds are limited by the transmission.

I'm taking the DTC100 RGB output or a VHDC-300 output and I want to use the full panel of the XP21N into the Panamorph. The XP21N isn't great with providing aspect ratio control out of 1080i as far as I can tell, hence the scaler.

The S-video output looks like garbage anyhow, so I'm not considering it. I haven't noticed any advantage of the other STBs over the DTC100 and I own 2 DTC100s.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dan G:

If you can answer this question, it may help others as well:

What is the lens height relative to the top or bottom of the screen? I've tried to find an installation diagram, or manual on Sanyo's site, but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly, I did not know that differnt projectors had differnt relative lens heights.

From my primitive understanding I though it was best to get the lens to either be at the bottom of the visible frame if it is normally oriented, and at the top of the frame if it is inverted.

Right now mine is inverted exactly 1 milk crate in distance from my ceiling, which works great with my screen.

I think with all projectors you try to get it like this, and centered as much as possible on your screen too.

dg

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Just to let you know about the living hades that I am going through right now. I have just started working a new job at Chevron and they are outfitted with about 40 XP21N's and 40 XP18N's. Some are for conference rooms and others are for mobile presentations within the building. I have to watch these things all day and long and never one in my own home http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
484 Posts
Screen Size 40" 60" 100" 150" 200" (diagonal)

H1 22.8" 34.2" 57.1" 85.7" 114.3"

H2 1.2" 1.8" 2.9" 4.3" 5.7"

H1 = height above lens

H2 = depth below lens

The 21N can be inverted and hung from the ceiling of course.

BTW, anyone know how to get a service manual for the 21N? The Sanyo site refers part orders to several distributers but I can't find the service manual listed at the web sites for the distributers and email I sent went unanswered.

------------------

John

[This message has been edited by Endymion (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Dan, Any problems with the Quadscan and XP21N? What version do you have? What are its limitations?

Also if I have problems with the DTC100, I'll get a new STB. I prefer to wait for one with a 5c Firewire or some kind of time-shifting device.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quadscan Pro ver 2.5

In my experience they work well together.

The QS has it;s own list of little bugs & quirks, detailed on the Video PRoceeor forum & elsewhere, but generally they synch and work well together.

I dunno if it is the scaler, or my projector, or my room temperature, or power to my equiptment, but soemtimes it looks stellar, sometimes merely OK (for NTSC, it is always great for HD or DVD)

dg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.