AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to embark on a projector purchase. Wandered into a Sanyo dealer who had a few working demos. He had the above units side by side in a darkened room projecting on the same screen. I was quite taken by the PLV-30 (which he had on first) and then he switched on the SW15 and compared for me. Some questions for the forum if I may:

(In HK) the price for this projector was about US$2350. I don't know what the US price is but this is in my budget. In the side by side comparison with the PLC-SW15 which is $2700 this is what I noticed

1. The PLC-30 was slightly brighter (the sales guy said this is because it had warmed up and he only just turned on the SW15) even though it has 500 ANSI lumens and the SW15 has 850

2. The SW15 has a microlens - not sure what that means but it appeared to me that the pixels were less noticeable (if at all) on the SW15 vs the PLV-30

3. The SW15 has 300:1 contrast ratio, the PLV-30 400:1 - not entirely sure what that means practically. I would have thought that a higher contrast ratio meant larger differences between blacks and whites - both looked pretty good to me

Is the SW15 better? It's more expensive. It is brighter but has lower contrast ratio (but has the microlens)

The blurb I have has Sanyo emphasising the PLV-30 for HT but the SW15(and XW15) more for presentation work with HT capability

In 16:9 mode it appeared that both projectors could take an anamorphic image off the DVD player and compress it to 16:9. I specifically asked the sales guy to turn off the DVD player WT mode and we saw the expected elongated image on the screen. Then with both projectors he was able to compress the image back to a normal aspect ratio

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Laurence

·
Registered
498 Posts
lchiu7, welcome to the forum! I have no more information about the SW15, more then that you should take a trip to Mongkok. The unit sells for HKD 20.500 at Chinese Club.

------------------

BR /// Rob

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I was quoted the lowest price at $20,800 by the Sanyo Distributors in the Wancai computer centre. They said their's were proper imports, Mong Kok were grey imports. Still for $300 I would prefer to have that security.

Still looking for information on which machine though!

Laurence

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
All things being equal I would select the projector with the best black level. But then I'm a blac level fan.

For this reason I'd go for the PLV-30. However, I'd try to find an NEC LT85 for comparison as it should have even better contrast.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.