AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HiPower made a stunning improvement to the results i was getting w/ my sony 400.

does anyone have any experience / comments on using this screen w/ the sanyo 60?

NOTE: i'm using the HiPower in the "proper" way - the projector & my eyelevel are both level w/ the bottom of my screen. if the projector are at the top and your eyes at the bottom, you will not see the full effect of the HiPower .

thks!

·
Registered
733 Posts

Bossmonkey,

I suspect there are two screens that are going to give you the best image with this projector - the Grayhawk and the Hipower (polar opposites you would think, but both get rave reviews).

Sounds like you already have a Hipower so that would be a good place (and cheap) to start. You're going from LCD to LCD with a substantial increase in ANSI Lumens which will allow you more ambient light when viewing, if you want. If you haven't already done this - border your screen on all sides with black material (and no I don't mean the 2 inch black border some screens have) and you will increase the illusion of black being blacker and add depth to the image.

Sounds or should I say, looks like you're going to have some fun!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
423 Posts
Interesting pictures, but it just doesn't jibe with what most of us have been seeing. Unfortunately, you need to live with a full screen in your room before reaching any real conclusions.

In his original review of the 10Ht in The Perfect Vision, Bill Cushman used a hipower, with apparently very pleasing results. I imagine it should be as good or better with the Sanyo. Since you've already got the hipower, I guess you'll let us know.

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
regarding tests using sample strips - i did the same thing. i got all the dalite samples, stuck them to a wall & tried it.

CAUTION: since the HiPower is SO MUCH BRIGHTER, you have to do the evaluation correctly - since all the other (dimmer) material takes up a larger area, one's eyes (or a camera) adjusts to the dimmer surfaces, making the HiPower APPEAR blown out or too bright.

if you adjust your eyes (or the projector, or the camera) to the HiPower, everything else should look real dark, and the HiPower looks just right.

actually, the 5th element was one of my test-clips that sold me on the HiPower - Leeloo's hair was vividly glowing as if on fire on the HiPower, and merely orange on all the other samples. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
423 Posts
While the hipower allows you to watch casually in a less than black, like all screens I've seen it's at its best in a completely dark room. I've got some light leakage coming into my theatre room during the day. The picture gets much better after the sun sets, when I have absolute darkness.

You do have some leeway in projector placement, doesn't have to be exactly at eye level, mine is a couple of feet away. After all, you don't want to be either staring at the projector, or blocking its throw. The other limitation is horizontal dispersion. While the image still looks uniform when viewed from the side, there is significant fall off in brightness when not sitting in front of the screen. Works best in a narrow room. Most visitors don't notice, however. As I look at it, there's no reason to ever sit anywhere but the best seat in the house, and dispersion is wide enough for several such seats.

I have yet to see the image look 'too bright'. Even at its maximum brightness, the image with my VT540 is not as bright as real life on a sunny day. On bright scenes, we all just go 'wow!'. On uniformly dark scenes, it's not crt, but okay. On scenes with contrast, the blacks appear as black as can be.

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.