AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen/owned these two units side by side ? Is the 70 worth 2 K$ more ? (I can get the 60 new at a good price) Dont need the extra lumens; is the MLA/added contrast worth 35% higher price ? 70 is slightly quieter (is 60 too loud ??) are contrast/blacks/screendoor that much better ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi John,

I've got both these units at home.

"Is the 70 worth 2 K$ more ?"

To me yes but then I've had the PLV-60 for a long while and know it's short comings - namely contrast. Friends of mine think I am nuts cos they cant tell the differences until I point them out.

"70 is slightly quieter (is 60 too loud ??)"

The 70 is a fair bit quieter than the 60. I personally can happily live with the 60's noise levels but it's always noticable.

"are contrast/blacks/screendoor that much better ?"

Black is slightly better, contrast for sure which gives much better perceived blacks, screen door - I dont see it on either machine from 2 x distance. The PLV-70's pixel grid is better filled out on closer inspection.

Vertical banding is pretty much the same on both and I notice it from 2 x distance. I think this is sometimes confused as screen door by some.

A calibrated PLV-60 with a CCR filter would give you a terrific picture for the price. I certaintly wouldn't want to put you off that machine but for me the PLV-70 is worth the extra.

Hope this helps

Malc

·
Registered
343 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.