Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVSforum brethren:

I'm a newbie poster HT-phile and I hope someone will offer their two cents+ worth to help me out. I quest for the best bang for my buck in a front projector. My home theater is 18' x 19' with total light control and untill recently I was SOLD on the Sanyo PLV60. A Stewart electrimask 123" grayhawk HDTV formatted screen is the proposed viewing surface and my watch pattern is 50% DSS, 50% dvd's.

Recently, here and on TBPdvd.com site, I've been hearing about the ubiquitous "dust blobs" associated with the PLV-60. Also, Widescreen Review vol.10, May '01, p.41 suggested that 50-100 ft lamberts of brightness were requisite for a high-impact, RPTV-like image with moderate lighting present. I calculate only 28 ft-L with the PLV-60.

Using their formula: Screen Brightness(ft-L) = lumens x screen gain / screen area (sq ft). Where my variables are: 60" x 107" screen = 44.5 sq ft, lumens =1300 (PLV-60 literature), and grayhawk screen gain = .95

These new reports have me reconsidering my choices greatly. Should I perhaps decrease screen size from 123" to 110" in order to increase screen brightness? Should I go with the Studiotek 130 screen with 1.3 gain? Or perhaps the Seleco/Sim 2 HT200 or HT250 (I can get these at a discount from my installer) are my answer(s). What's this I hear (read) about a "DM" version with the Seleco DLP projector line. . .i.e., HT200DM? I'd like to keep projector expense under $10K. The "shoot-out" suggested the PLV-60 was a good buy.

Any help is appreciated. If this has been previously discussed please advise. Thanks!

Dr. DTextHT200DM

[This message has been edited by dr1574 (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you have total lighting control, why are you worried about the situation where you have 'moderate lighting' present? I assume Widescreen review was discussing a situation where a sunlight was present like in a family room during the day or at night with the lights on. In a dedicated room, you won't watch under those conditions normally. Movie theaters I believe are typically 7-8 ft lamberts. The thing that would stop me from going to such a large screen size is the screen door effect from LCD-type proojectors. You want the viewers to be sitting greater than 1.5 times the screen width from the screen.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you plan on watching sports very much, I would seriously consider the Sanyo XP-21N. That's a 4:3 format LCD that puts out 2500 Lumans, bright enough even for your large screen. I am not even convinced that the PLV-60 does a better job on 16:9 material than the XP-21N, but no one has done a side by side. It has been reported that the XP-21N has a "reduced" screen door effect, whatever that means. They are both about the same price, $6,000-$6,600.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonmx:

Thanks. I considered the XPN21, but I thought it was incapable of producing 16 x 9 images. . .again, I do watch dvd's 50% of the time. Projector Central "highly recommends" this projector, but it apparently doesn't carry the PLV-60 (their review list didn't mention it at all). What about the Seleco HT250DM (my installer can get me this for ~8K) How does the Sanyo XPN21/ PLV-60 compare to this DLP in terms of clarity, brightness, and color accurracy?

Again, I'm not that sensitive to the "screen door" phenomenon and my viewing distance will be at least 13-14 ft away. I've seen a Runco VX101c DLP and I didn't experience any "rainbow" effect either, so I could go either way LCD or DLP. . .I just want the best picture. I would prefer to stay with my 123" (HUGE) Stewart screen "grayhawk" option.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dr1574:
Projector Central "highly recommends" this projector, but it apparently doesn't carry the PLV-60 (their review list didn't mention it at all). What about the Seleco HT250DM (my installer can get me this for ~8K) How does the Sanyo XPN21/ PLV-60 compare to this DLP in terms of clarity, brightness, and color accurracy?

I don't think the HT250DM exists yet, but $8K for a HT250 is still a great price. The HT250 is rated at 900 lumens, so it is not nearly as bright as the Sanyo. But for watching movies, the Seleco delivers the best picture available for the price range. For that big of a screen with lights on, you will need the brightness of the Sanyo.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Apparently, the 250DM is coming this fall. PF has posted his impressions of the 200DM and says it is phenomenal with DVD material. (It's optimized for 480p). I've seen the Seleco HT200 (no DM) and recently the Sanyo PLV60. They're both fine projectors. The Selecos have the best reds of any digital projector I have seen.

In general, you will see less screen door with the Seleco since DLPs have greater fill factor. I have to agree with others who saw the Sanyo at INFOCOMM and noticed the screen door or "graininess" at closer distances. However, some forum members said the PLV60 used in the shootout didn't have as much screen door or graininess as the unit in Sanyo's booth (which is the only one I saw.) Go Figure. These observations may suggest that other variables were accounting for the apparent graininess in the Sanyo booth.

For your application and in view of your concerns, you might want to go with the Seleco DM series. You won't have to worry about dust blobs because it has a sealed light path. It has an anamorphic setting for watching DVDs and since it's a native 4:3 machine you're good to go with the sports. The only concern you might have is with light output on that big of a screen when you have some lights on. Since your installer evidently has a Seleco pipeline just see if he can get you one to demo. If the lumens aren't a concern and you like what you see, I think the right move is the Seleco. The pros and cons between these two projectors aren't going to be of such a magnitude that you make a mistake whichever way you go.

Kirk

[This message has been edited by Kirk (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonmx

Sorry, I should have better stated in my post my viewing preferences. I like to watch movies/dvd's in total darkness, but when watching sports/DSS with the guys, I'd like to have some ambient light. As for the screen door effect, I don't know how sensitive I am to that or not. I saw a Sharp LCD 9000x or something (local brick and mortar HT retailer) and it wasn't calibrated nor did it boast the specs of the PLV-60 and the pixelation wasn't bad even upclose. Have you seen the PLV-60 yourself? . . .what's your HT set-up? Have you seen the Seleco DLP's?

My seating distance(s)are at least 13.3 feet from the proposed viewing surface (1.5 x 107").

Dr D

[This message has been edited by dr1574 (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dr. D-

My setup includes what I affectionately refer to as "The Old Relic," my SharpVision 96U LCD projector. I run everything through the DVDO iScan processor and a Faroudja VP100 enhancer. At the time I got the Sharp it was pretty much the best thing available for HT in that price range. I still think it does an admirable job, even by today's standards, but of course the newer machines are higher resolution and have better blacks, improved scalers etc. I've actually been in the market for a new PJ for a while now, so I'm in the same boat as you. Lots and lots of choices to be sure.

Kirk

·
Registered
30 Posts

The other day, I was behind my equipment with the lights on adjusting some cables trying to track a noise problem down. I had my plv-60 on and an HDTV feed going through it.

While I reach my equipment from inside a closet, I can still see the screen though the cabinets where the equipment sits on the shelves.

In order to see If I was making any kind of effect, I had bumped the brightness of hte PLV-60 way up, and found that with a lot of light in the room, this is still a very acceptable picture. I even thought to myself, that this would be good for a superbowl party. You have to have some light in a party, at least that kinda party anyway (doh!).

Might be something you want take into consideration.

Johnny

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yianni

Thanks. I agree. With situations like that you really need some ambient light; yet, as you showcase your system, you also want a decent,no, brilliant display from your PJ. Since you've taken the PLV-60 plunge (so-to-speak), what's your satisfaction level been? Any dust blobs? Is the "graininess" really an issue? Screen-door effect?

Jeff McNeal at TBPdvd.com really had a lot of nice things to say about this projector and Sanyo supposedly gives good customer service. However, I worry about what they count as "acceptable" dead pixels and dust blobs. Where did you purchase your PLV-60 anyway?

Dr D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.