AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've set up the PLV-60 with an All-in-Wonder Radeon at 1360x768 72Hz.

I used PowerStrip 3.0 beta to create and store this custom resolution (using defaults for all the parameters). The PLV-60 does not automatically sync to this resolution so it requires manual set up of total pixels (1824) and lines (1060). The visible pixels (1360) and lines (768) must also be set. Lastly, the horizontal and vertical scale must be adjusted; the image positioned and the fine sync set. I did not have to change the clamp value from its zero default. I used Displaymate to verify that this provides pixel perfect resolution (as well as using it for general calibration of the unit - which varied only slightly from the factory mid range values). Once I stored this setup, the projector syncs to it automatically.

The computer image and Radeon DVD image is excellent. As people have already said, the brightness, brightness uniformity, color and grayscale are all excellent. The heat and noise are both minimal and not a factor for me. The only issues are black level and screen door.

I'm currently using a Dalite 1.3 screen (the greyhawk is arriving next week). Since my current projector is a CRT (NEC XG135LC at 1600x1200 70Hz) I'm particularly critical of black level. While the PLV-60 does not challenge CRT black levels its excellent gray scale and high contrast actually yeild more low level detail than my CRT (the CRT could be set up for more low level detail but then its black level suffers). I did a direct comparison with the opening scenes of Dark City. The images each had their strong points but in the end I preferred the increased detail and snap of the Sanyo over the ultimate black of the CRT.

I also prefer the sharpest focus possible. At my seating distance which is approximately 1.2 screen width the screen door is clearly visible. On DVDs, slight defocussing eliminates most screen door with the exception of large bright areas.

With the Dish 6000 set to 1080i the PLV-60 automatically syncs to it (the mode reads 1035i for some reason) and produces an excellent image with the same black level and screen door issues as I already noted.

Given my test with a 2x2 greyhawk sample, I feel I will be satisfied with black level. I will likely give an IMX a try to see if the screen door can be reduced without loss of sharpness. Even if it cannot, the other aspects of image quality are good enough IMHO to compensate for this weakness given the Sanyo's price.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
How big is your screen and what's your viewing distance?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Thanks for the report! Keep us updated. BTW, do you have a progressive scan DVD players? I was wondering if the HT-PC was an improvement over a progressive scan with the Sanyo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.