AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Sanyo PLV-60HT and was wondering if anybody is using one with a 2.35 screen, and if so, how do you have your system configured?

I remember a post a while back about somebody who set the Sanyo up as close as possible to the screen and the used the motorize zoom to expand 2.35 material to fill a 2.35 screen. For viewing 4:3, 1.78, or 1.85 material, the Sanyo was zoomed in so that constant height was maintained. This seems like a simple solution, however, this would result in a significantly dimmer image for 2.35 material since the image is blown up larger and only a portion of the LCD panels are being used. Screendoor would also be more evident. I suppose that the screendoor issue could be solved with an IMX lens. Would the change in brightness when switching between 2.35 material and other aspect ratio material be noticeable?

The other option would be to use an anamorphic lens which would permit use of the entire LCD panels resulting in an image with higher resolution and greater brightness. Unfortunately, I would like my system to work with a minimum of fuss. Having to move the anamorphic lens out of the way when not watching anamorphic 2.35 material seems like a pain. In addition, my understanding is that an anamorphic lens could not be used in conjunction with an IMX lens. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
The other option would be to use an anamorphic lens which would permit use of the entire LCD panels resulting in an image with higher resolution and greater brightness. Unfortunately, I would like my system to work with a minimum of fuss. Having to move the anamorphic lens out of the way when not watching anamorphic 2.35 material seems like a pain. In addition, my understanding is that an anamorphic lens could not be used in conjunction with an IMX lens. Is this correct?
I did a test 10 days ago with the ISCO 2 and the Sony 10HT. Search for a thread with "cinemascope" in the title. I assume the results can be extrapolated for the PLV-60 with no risk (it has longer throw lens than the 10HT).

1) The result is exciting.

2) Once the first setup is done, removing and setting back the anamorphic lens is done in seconds. You just need to readjust focus each time. That's assuming your pj is not ceiling mounted.

3) I didn't try to obtain a perfect focus and wouldn't do so: there was almost no screen door effect so you don't need the IMX.

4) Actually, the only down side is the pincusion. The picture is not perfectly rectangular but looks like the Cinemascope Logo (that's a bit "compressed" in the middle). The result is charming but if you look for a screen that matches exactly the geometry of the picture (curved screen?), the nightmare may begin. A good masking is probably the best option.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi:

I am planning to put a 2:35 screen into my new theater being constructed this spring. I currently have a 16:9. One of the reasons that I bought the 60 is that it has a motorized zoom feature. I plan to mask off the sides of the screen with black curtains during 16:9 viewing and then open for 2.35, zoom to fill the screen and overshoot the black bars off the screen. My preliminary tests with my 16:9 screen on a black wall indicate that this is quite doable. The pixel structure is a little larger but from 12' back it's barely visible and only occasionally. I'm sure a slight de-focus would take care of that if it bothers you-but I don't find it to be a real issue. Oh, and for 4:3 viewing, I just plan to close the curtains a bit over the black side bars-not that I do much 4:3 viewing. For me, that's what a tv is for.

I am quite happy with the 60. It's bright 1300 lumens makes it ideal for this sort of thing since zooming will be asking a lot from the projector. I didn't notice any appreciable drop in light level while doing this so I feel comfortable planning this.

Did I mention that I'm going to do this with a Gray Hawk?

Good luck, the 60 is a great unit. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing! I was wondering what screen size you were thinking of doing at 12' back? I have a 16:9 Greyhawk with the SE HD13 at 50x90 and it's totally cool for 1.85/1.78 and 1.33 viewing but I really wish the 2.35 movies were at full height. I think a constant height setup would be the way to go!

Jordan

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am now leaning towards a 1.85 microperf screen with the centre channel speaker behind the screen. The projector will be set up so that 1.85 material fills the entire screen. 1.78 material will fill the width of the screen and will overshoot the top and bottom of the screen by about an inch (no side black bars). I do not anticipate using the screen for 1.33 material on a regular basis so this is not a concern. With 2.35 material, there will be black bars at the top and bottom, however, they will not be quite as large as with a standard HDTV (1.78) screen. With this setup their will be no zooming for different aspect ratios. This is less desirable than a constant height setup, however, since I will be using a Cygnus IMX lens to eliminate potential moire artifacts with the microperf screen, zooming will not be possible.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
The other option would be to use an anamorphic lens which would permit use of the entire LCD panels resulting in an image with higher resolution and greater brightness. Unfortunately, I would like my system to work with a minimum of fuss. Having to move the anamorphic lens out of the way when not watching anamorphic 2.35 material seems like a pain.
With the Sanyo you can use the Panamorph (anamorphic lens) and use all the 1365x768 at 1300 ansi's for your 2:35 discs, without black bars wasting brightness and pixels.

The custom aspect memories are another bonus on the Sanyo and because the Sanyo will also allow you to save these custom aspect ratios you will be able to leave the Panamorph in place on narrower ratios (4:3 etc) saving you any moving of the lens.

With the Panamorph in place you will find the structure acts a little like it does with the IMX (eg it compacts the structure).

The Sanyo is a almost made for maximum flexibility of an anamorphic lens to get the most out of all of your 1:78/2:35 discs.

DavidW

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David, that is interesting. I guess you could set-up custom aspect ratios for 1.78, 1.85, and 2.35 material. With the panamorph in place, do you need to zoom out the image when switching from 1.78 to 2.35 in order to maintain a constant height image? How do access the custom aspect ratios? Are they in the user menu or the service menu? Now if I could only afford a Stewart greyhawk with masking to go from 2.35 to 1.78 while maintaining constant height.

·
Registered
108 Posts
"With the Sanyo you can use the Panamorph (anamorphic lens) and use all the 1365x768 at 1300 ansi's for your 2:35 discs, without black bars wasting brightness and pixels. "

David: When DVD's are made for 2:35 material my understanding is that they letterbox the 2:35 image inside the 16:9 anamorphic 4:3 file format using black bars to get the 2:35 ratio. That would mean that the only way to get rid of the bars is to enlarge the image so that the bars went off the screen.

If I am wrong on this then I need help.

I use an HTPC setup with WinDVD. I don't see any way to change the anamorphic ratio. All of my DVD's to date that are 2:35 show as 16:9 with bars. Are the bars in the file format or are they being placed there by the software? If they are software generated, how would I get rid of them?

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
111 Posts
RJM3,

The PLV-60 has a special zoom mode that stretches 2:35 source both horizontally and vertically to fill the full 16:9 panel. The result is an image that appears vertically stretched. An anamorphic lens then reshapes this image to the proper 2.35 aspect ratio.

Frank

·
Registered
108 Posts
Frank:

Apparently you've done this. Are you using a DVD player or an HTPC? I re-read my manual and it appears that you are using the "wide zoom" setting and then letting the PJ do the scaling-correct? How does the image look?

Tell me about your Panamorph lens setup. What did it cost, how do you have it mounted, etc.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.