AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading for a while and decided on the Sanyo PLV 60HT. Got it this morning!!! Very pleased with the 1/2 hour I had to play with it before going to work (non-p-scan dvd, onto textured eggshell wall).

Just wanted to get your opinions on configurations with this projector.

DVD - I am looking at the Denon DVD 1600 or the Yamaha CDR 920 (they are supposed to be very similar, with the Yam being a carousel for +$100). Any issues with either of these choices?

HD-DSS (seems like everyone has something new out in 3-6 months):

Toshiba DST3000

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Also, try the SMART Calibration system. Click the link in my signature.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Hey Darrel, how much better do you think the HTPC is on this projector than a Progressivescan DVD player. Also how long would you guess it took you to "SMART" your projector. I have the same projector and already purchased SMART, but haven't taken the time to do it yet. One more thing, where did you get the wireless headphones, this sounds like a GREAT idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
988 Posts
Scott,

I probably spent close to 40 hours or more with SMART. That's probably excessive for most people (and considering bulb life costs $20), but I wanted to know what the PJ could (and couldn't) do. In the end, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone but the ardent HT fanatic -- the cinema or PC standard settings are pretty close for most viewers.

I got the wireless headphones online, and you can probably find them if you do a search. I bought mine through Etronics . What's really nice about these is that they are open to sounds from outside. I can hear the telephone ring or the cat sneaking up on me. They make movie soundtracks sound really natural, whereas most headphones when used with movies make the sound really artificial.

I don't have a progressive scan player, but I can say that comparing the image through the component inputs of the SE-13HD with a 480i DVD player and the HTPC showed the dreaded "solarization" problem only on the component inputs, not on the VGA (HTPC) inputs.

I've tried other resolutions with the HTPC, and they look pretty good as well, but the natural 1360x768 seems like a perfect match.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Darrel-

Wow! Forty hours is quite a bit more than I bet most people spend with SMART. Did you add a CC or ND filter to your projector? That's when SMART users see the most signficant improvement.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Steve,

Yeah, I spent a considerable amount of time trying to flatten out the gamma curve. The interaction on some of the service settings caused me to do a fair amount of experimentation, just to see how the curves changed with slight alterations of the adjustments. I have a very dark gray screen (DIY) which, I believe, does about the same thing as an ND filter. Steve Smallcombe looked at my SMART curves and agreed that CC probably wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AV8042
How is the screen door effect on this pj.I will have a 92" Diag with a viewing distance of about 11-12'.

Thanks,

Alex
I would definitely say the 2x viewing distance applies. I have two viewing distances at 16' and 23'. When zoomed to 10' wide the screen door was noticeable at 16' and not 23'. Took the image down to 8' and it was not noticable at either distance.

Sorry these are in widths and not diags...

They always say to get your projector before deciding on a screen, now I completely understand why.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.