AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm trying to decide on a projector for use with an HTPC and am between these two models or their boxlight equivalents (13HT vs HD1).

I figure the PLV-60HT is definitely a better projector albeit a bit older but is it $1000 better ($1400 vs $2400)? The big appeal for the 60HT is the higher native resolution and the higher lamp brightness. The downside being the higher cash outlay and a more expensive bulb. I'm leaning toward the 60HT but could easily be swayed to get the Z1, save the cash, and then get something better in a year or two after having some projector experience.

Opinions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've seen both of these in my home. I tried the Z1 first, but ended up sending it back because I thought the resolution was poor. I then got the 60HT and the resolution inproved significantly.

One caveat was that I didn't have my DVD player set up correctly when I had the Z1 and when I first got the 60HT. I was getting a significant amount of jaggies on the edges of objects as they moved on the screen or when the camera panned. It turned out that I had my dvd player set to a TV shape of 4:3 (both of these projectors are native 16:9).

When I correctly set the DVD player to 16:9, the picture quality jumped with the 60HT dramatically. I wish I had known this before I sent the Z1 back.

However, I did think the picture was better with the 60HT on DirecTV (standard def) using S-Video. The DVD player obviously didn't come into play in this part.

I am very satisfied with the 60HT now. Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I vote for the 60HT. I've seen it but not the Z1. I think the features you get with the 60HT make it a better choice unless the $ thing is that much of an issue for you.

Honestly, you would probably be happy with either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.