AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1)Is there any performance difference between the PLV-70 and the 20HD.

2)Can the VGA and DVI inputs both be used? I have a HTPC DVD player with VGA output and the Motorola HDTV cable box with DVI output. I wanted to hook them both up, but it appears that they share Input 1. I just purchased a $100 1m VGA/VGA cable and hate to have to buy a component breakout cable...

I have an Infocus X1 with a Parkland Plastic DIY screen and going to upgrade (for now) to the Sanyo PLV-70. I was considering the Sony VPL-W12HT/HS10, decided to wait on the HS20, but just 'discovered' the Sanyo.

I 'need' a projector that costs ~$5000, has native WXGA resolution or better and is silent. Realizing that I'll probably end up having to get/build a hushbox for any projector, because of my setup (table mounted). I really would prefer not to get an LCD just to eliminate having to clean it as often. My projector is used for all types of programming/playback and the room washes out the X1 during the day, so the light output of the Sanyo appeals to my wife. We were trying to order a 45x80 Firehawk screen, but think that the Grayhawk might be a better choice given the fact that projectors keep getting brighter. Any comment/help is welcome...

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1. no

2. yes

"the Sanyo appeals to my wife"

Good wife :).

You might consider a "HiPower" screen if you can go 100" or more and get a Bravo D1 DVi DVD player on sale now at AVS.

In fact you can get everything at AVS..

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Shaun, this projector will absolutely shine with a Stewart Firehawk screen. It has lumens to burn and really benefits from the contrast enhancement of the Firehawk.

And you absolutely can't go wrong by dealing with AVS.

Jimmy, it looks like I'm going to solve my problem by running component cables directly from the HDTV cable box to the component ins of the projector.

Never did get an explanation of why the computer ins of the XP21N don't handle HDTV well.

I keep hoping someone will come up with a long-throw projector that has decent brightness, much better contrast and is not DLP. :(

Where's Joe House these days? Thought for sure he'd respond to my thread on this HDTV hookup.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Hi Dan, saw your thread but I don't really know the 21. It seem's strange the 15pin connector doesn't work for HD. My old pj *Sharp worked fine for either computer in or component as I'm sure most others do as well.

JHouse "fell in love", has a "new hobby":) He'll be back when he gets tired.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
He's table mounting, so the firehawk will not be used optimally (gain-wise), whereas the highpower would.

Quote:
I really would prefer not to get an LCD just to eliminate having to clean it as often.
You know the PLV70 is LCD right?

BB

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I know the PLV70 is LCD - really my only issue.

Between the Firehawk and Grayhawk which will give me a better black level? Not limiting to those, what screen will give me the 'best' black level?

Anyone have an opinion on buying a SE vs. Sanyo brand?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
The 20HD is a Sayno PLV-70. Supposedly, SE gets the cream of the crop (frankly, I don't know what this means - my advice is to go for best price, wherever it takes you). But, if you have problems, as I have, SE will bow to what Sanyo dictates. And believe me, that's very bad!

My dealings with SE, as I told them yesterday, has been the worst retail experience of my life.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I am using the Firehawk in a "table mounted" set up and it works perfectly. IMHO, this projector pumps so many lumens, you don't need boost, what you need is better contrast and this screen delivers that. Previously I had a Grayhawk and the Firehawk CLEARLY improves contrast and black level better. Everyone one who had seen before and after noticed the difference and several asked me if I had a new projector.

I've had excellent experience with SE and would buy from them again. But a number of early buyers of the PLV70 had serious problems, witness Mike's comment.

Dan

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
I am using the Firehawk in a "table mounted" set up and it works perfectly. IMHO, this projector pumps so many lumens, you don't need boost, what you need is better contrast and this screen delivers that.

Dan
Fair enough. You know I'm one of the "brightness junkie" crowd, so I try to keep every lumen I can.

BB

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your experience Brandon. It is opposite of what I had thought would be the case. I had made my mind up on the Grayhawk, so now I'm still thinking.

I am now concerned about the reliability/dependability of the projector. Not firing the first time isn't that big of deal to me, but having to reseat the bulb would get me in trouble. Are the people having trouble early buyers or recent ones??

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am a fairly "recent" buyer (April this year) and had my original bulb give me problems at 360 hrs. Bought a new one. Reseated the old one and it started working again. Go figure. Running on the new one now. This is the only ?? I have about this PJ. In every other respect, it is an incredible machine! Wait till you see it beside your X1. :) Yes, you can run DVI (input 1), VGA (input 2) and component (input 3). No problem! DVI material looks GREAT on this unit!!

There are foks here (Hi Dawn!) who are very happy with their Parkland screen and a PLV-70. I"ve never seen it. I'm a HighPower fan, but also beleive the Gray/Firehawks would be GREAT! I saw my PJ on a Grayhawk and it was stunning. I appreciated DanHoucks comments as one of the few I know of that has seen this PJ on both Gray and Fire. I'd go with his recommendation if you are going Stewart. I'm with the "brigther is better crowd too". They drug me kicking and screaming from a "high contrast" screen and I saw the benefits with my own eyes. It's true!!

Good Luck!!

Gordon

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yes, trust me on this--the Firehawk is an absolute natural with this projector. Not only was I able to a/b on my own system, but saw both in close quarters at CES. The Firehawk will give some gain at almost any angle but more important is how it enhances black and contrast on LCDs, not their strong suit to begin with.

Dan

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, the Parkland Pastic screen will be replaced with a Firehawk 45x80 screen.

Wife says that no new projector until the old one is sold, so I'm going to be without a projector for a few days.

The good news is that she liked the Berkline 090's tonight and commented that they are the most comfortable of all the ones we have seen/sat in. Plus, I even get to choose the leather...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have not had any problems in dealing with SE. They have been credible and upfront about the limitations of their projectors and their service (which is first rate in my book).

Just remember, currently no digital projector under $20K is perfect and they all compromise somewhere. Understanding that is paramount before getting into using digital projectors.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shaun5
Realizing that I'll probably end up having to get/build a hushbox for any projector, because of my setup (table mounted).

Any comment/help is welcome...
Just an FYI ... Sanyo specs dictate that a "hush box" needs to be at least (I am making meteric conversions) 8 inches above the projector and 20 inches on both sides and the back.

That is a HUGE box around an already large projector.

I have seen an instance where a smaller than recommended hush box has caused burning on the lcd panels which Sanyo refused to cover under warranty.

I am not trying to give you a reason not to, you had just stated you were open to comments. This is a great unit ... with a beautiful picture IMO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comment. I will want to use a box that is much smaller than the spec, so I will have to compensate with a few (probably 3 one to help pull and two to push) quiet 120mm fans.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah use big fans much quieter that way. Keep us posted on the progress of ur hushbox.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Assuming you want to stay in the same price range, you could look at a used Sharp Z10000, the BenQ, the Sony 12HT, used Seleco 300 (long throw), Marantz HS2.

There's a lot of satisfed 20HD owners in this group though.

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.