Registered
1,382 Posts
Sanyo moving into DLP? :confused: UNTHINKABLE

Would Sony to the same?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Quote:
I bet it will have color uniformity issues.....
Note to self. Do not get on Mike's bad side. He will hunt me down like the dog that I am:)

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Hey, at least I'm consistant and predictable ;)

That counts for something in today's uncertain wold.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
It sure counts for something Mike, it sure does...

Btw, where are your gWb quotes?

I was enjoying those...

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Grubert

the rumors about the D1 running since more than a half year will become reality. As I heared, this unit will be presented at CES in January.

To the specs, which will be presented in Sanyo Website of Spain:

It looks like, that there will be placed the new DMD with a new surface. (The specs about this new DMD shall allow a CR up 5000:1)

According to the published specs, the resolution will be XGA like the DMD in the HT1000 / 1100.

Also the 10bit video-decoder by Farudja will be a highlight.

Maybe, I will learn more, when I meet the Sanyo-people next week.

hb

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It sounds like TI will be using their new manufacturing process for the production of XGA chips. This should result in higher contrast, increased light output, and higher fill factor.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if this is going to fight for the HT1000 niche of the market, it's exciting news.

We can only hope the NEC HT1100 will be similar.

Thanks a lot hhelmut.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Grubert

Please believe me, the first specs of the HT1100 and some improvements show, that the HT1100 will be a better unit than the HT 1000. We can say, it will be an important step in developing the base HT1000.

But still today our base of discussion will be specs and technical improvements; we have to see the new unit - latest at CES

And in my personal opinion we cannot speak about niche of the HT1000 market. Looking at the salesfigues of all XGA-DMD sold projectors, designed for homecinema, the market share is bigger than a niche - in Europe. In US I don´t know

hb

·
Registered
513 Posts
hhelmut,

Why is NEC and now the Sanyo staying with 4:3 and not going to 16:9?

Thanks

JK

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ jKirk

The reason will be the following points IMO

A) Generally

There will be also a market for units, based on the 4:3 resolution.

- Most PC-Games are based on the resolution 4:3

- Many users , who are buying this kind of unit at home - there will also use the possibility to get a real 4:3 resolution when using a PC

- 4:3 resolution will be cheaper than a 16:9;

- and if you look at the sales figures - especially for Home-Cinema-Market in Europe, because US I don´t know - the majority will be 4:3 resolution.

B) NEC

They have done a great start with the HT1000. This unit is becoming a legend. NEC want to continue the story with a model, based on HT1000. Also there could be another reason. It´s cheaper to do a developing an an existing model than to create a new one.

C) Sanyo

it´s cheaper to do the first step with DLP in the market with a 4:3 resolution.

Looking at their product portfolio for the home-cinema/cinema market you will see, Sanyo will do always to things, which will be different from the rest.

hb

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another interesting tidbit:

The PLV-D1 is being co-developed by Sanyo and LG.

I don't mind having a 4:3 projector. What I do mind is having a 4x-speed colour wheel and rainbows. If NEC sort this out, they'll have a killer machine.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There is talk about both Nex ht1000 and Sanyo d1 here. Am I correct in saying that ht1000 has 4x cclor wheel? It has been written here on the foroum that the 4:3 xga ddr-chips are slower than hd2 at least taken as a whole , driver chips plus dmd. If this is the case we should not be surprised that ht1000 is 4x, it is the speed it can be or?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I'm not mistaken, there aren't any XGA DLP projectors with a colour wheel speed faster than 4x (NEC HT1000, Optoma H56). I remember reading that current-generation XGA DMD chips supported only 4x and slower.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Indeed.

That's why there is the Matterhorn: it benefits from all HD2 features (but NOT from HD2+).

Now, while you're talking about XGA and HD# based HT projectors, didn't you all notice that no manufacturer proposes both DMD in their HT projectors? I'm wondering if the reason is not simply a license policy from TI. That's maybe why NEC hasn't a HD2 based projector.

·
Registered
502 Posts
to the discussion of color wheel speed:

According to NEC announcements:

the HT1100 will have two speed modes. 4x @ 60Hz and [email protected] 50Hz.

This will run, because the data processing on these data rates will be not so different in handling and the the new XGA-DMD-devices can work with these upcoming saturates.

@ Car_rod

_______

Now, while you're talking about XGA and HD# based HT projectors, didn't you all notice that no manufacturer proposes both DMD in their HT projectors? I'm wondering if the reason is not simply a license policy from TI. That's maybe why NEC hasn't a HD2 based projector.

________

When I have a look at Toshiba with its MT8 - a HD2 unit - and the MT500 - an XGA - unit but masked electronically to the 1024x576 PAL-resolution -> I´m not sure. As I TI know, there will be no license poilcy in this case, but I will ask and report

But back to the policy of NEC:

When you have a nearer look at the LT 220, 240,260 and the HT 1000, you will see there will be the same housing a.s.o. The big differences from HT1000 to a LT 260 will be a different optic with an Iris, a RGBRGB Colorwheel and a Faroudja deinterlacer (only activated?) and an DVI-Conector in the HT1000. Sorry, of course a different color of housing.

Using a HD2-DMD instead of XGA-DMD than you have to rebuild the whole optical system and also developing a new housing.

In my eyes a good step into the platform philosophy. This philosophy will be also used more and more by different suppliers like Sanyo/Eiki, InFocus a.s.o.

hb

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hhelmut
When I have a look at Toshiba with its MT8 - a HD2 unit - and the MT500 - an XGA - unit but masked electronically to the 1024x576 PAL-resolution -> I´m not sure. As I TI know, there will be no license poilcy in this case, but I will ask and report
No idea about TI licensing policy, so if you find more, please report.

About Toshiba, I'm not sure they developped any of their DLP projectors, so it's a bad example.

MT8 -> Infocus

MT500 -> Plus-Vision (but couldn't get confirmation)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.