AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there service/factory menu items for RGB bias, gain, gamma, etc. on the Sanyo PLV-Z1?

My low IRE bars are all bluish, while the high IRE ones are a bit better. However, the user menus seem to only have "gain", no bias.

Is there a way around this? I'd really like to fix the colors and color tracking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! So it IS possible!

Now, um, what are the service menu item numbers for bias and gain? :)

Interesting that you measured a gamma tracking of 2.5. That's pretty good! Unfortunately, it seems to be messed up using my Panasonic RP91 in progressive component mode. Yet, images look fine with my HTPC. I wonder if something is wrong with my RP91! I already tried two different cables...

Anyhow, it is impossible to search AVS for just "Z1". I tried PLV-Z1, but found no posts talking about the service menu entries needed to tweak bias and gain.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smallcombe
It is certainly possible. You can read about it my my review of the Z1.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...or-4-2003.html

Steve
Steve,

It would be great if your review (and other HomeTheaterHiFi reviews) included the kind of de-interlacer review you have for the Progressive DVD Player reviews. I used those reviews to choose a Panasonic RP56 to use with my 1HD. The reviews of those players is very insightfull.

As your review says, the waving flag in Video Essentials was very blocky before using a progressive player.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I liked your review on the Z1. A friend and I are both setting up home theaters. We've done a lot of reading on the forum and came down to 3 projectors for our price range: Panny L300, InFocus X1, and the Z1. He purchased the L300 and brought it over to my house. A strange problem is occurring re: throw distance. The feature that seems a major plus (great 72 inch image from only 10 feet due to the lens is actually a negative for me. I have a duct 11' from the screen that actually works best to have the projector mounted behind the duct (closer to 12' from the screen). The L300 doesn't work well at 12'. Will the Z1 give a quality max. 72" image from 12'? If so, I can put the $500 savings towards speakers. If not, please recommend other options. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, unfortunately. I have a 68" image, and the furthest I can go is 8 feet away from the screen.

In fact, according to the manual, at 11.8 feet, the smallest screen you can get is 100 inches.

It kind of pisses me off too...now I wish I had a longer throw projector!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtm3100
I liked your review on the Z1. A friend and I are both setting up home theaters. We've done a lot of reading on the forum and came down to 3 projectors for our price range: Panny L300, InFocus X1, and the Z1. He purchased the L300 and brought it over to my house. A strange problem is occurring re: throw distance. The feature that seems a major plus (great 72 inch image from only 10 feet due to the lens is actually a negative for me. I have a duct 11' from the screen that actually works best to have the projector mounted behind the duct (closer to 12' from the screen). The L300 doesn't work well at 12'. Will the Z1 give a quality max. 72" image from 12'? If so, I can put the $500 savings towards speakers. If not, please recommend other options. Thanks!
Basically, the projectors seem to project the same size image.

For the Z1 at 12'

Diagonal Range: 100 - 122 in. ( 8.3 - 10.2 ft.)

Height Range: 50 - 60 in. ( 4.1 - 5.0 ft.)

Width Range: 88 - 107 in. ( 7.3 - 8.8 ft.)

For the L300 at 12'

Diagonal Range: 99 - 124 in. ( 8.2 - 10.3 ft.)

Height Range: 49 - 61 in. ( 4.0 - 5.0 ft.)

Width Range: 87 - 108 in. ( 7.2 - 8.9 ft.)

For the Z1 to project a 72" diagonal image

Distance to Screen: 7.1 ft. - 8.6 ft.

All the info from Projector Central Calculator

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
So the service/factory menu entries for bias and gain is a trade secret then?
Guess so, just like all the other factory/service menu options for this pj. As I remember Sanyo said they would not give out their service manual to end users.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sanyo does not give this stuff out. It takes me much longer to do a Sanyo as it takes a while to find the needed values in the various service and factory modes. My manual for SMART for the Z1 however, does list the service values, such as bias values, necessary for tweaking.

You may also want to check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=222828

It describes the service mode and has a link to factory mode information. Stay out of the factory mode. The first 16 values in the service mode have what you need.

Steve

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I was aware that Sanyo would not make the entries known. I was referring to the other color calibrationists who were keeping the entries secret, y'know, for business purposes. :D

Thanks Steve, I had seen that thread already and didn't see anything explicitly showing what the cuts and drives are. But, I will take your hint and figure it out myself. Is it ok for me to post my findings? Or shall it remain secret forwever? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.