AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of life are people getting from their Z1 lamps?

I am on my second lamp, the previous one having died at about 450 hours of life on the low output setting.

Well, the replacement lamp, with about 300 hours on the low output setting, has begun to get dimmer which was how the previous lamp began to fail. Last night I removed the lamp assembly to inspect it and I could see that the lamp was physically deformed, i.e. melted, compared to how it looked when I installed it.

I always let it go thorugh its power down sequence where the fans run for a few minutes before the green light comes on. The unit is sitting on a coffee table, nothing above or around it. However, I notice that the unit is hot to touch for several hours after it is powered off, and I'm beginning to wonder if the nominal cool down sequence is not sufficient (assuming that the lamp appearing to melt is an indication of an overheating problem). Air circulation in the room is not great; I put a small desk fan in the room about 8 feet from the Z1 to move air around and noticed that the Z1 cooled down much faster than usual last night.

Anyone with similar experiences, or suggestions of what else could be wrong? At $300 a 'pop', this is becoming an expensive projector (and it blows away my 'toy' budget each time it happens).

Any other ideas as to why the lamp life is so short? Should the unit go back to Sanyo (although it sounds Sanyo's service is somewhat lacking). Are there any service/setup options to keep the fans running as long as power is on?

·
Registered
455 Posts
this goes to show that the HS10 is not the only lamp eater. If you are on your scond lamp and it looks bad - I would be getting pics of the current one so in case it goes - you have something documented - and I would refuse to shell out cash again.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The fact that your Z1 is hot to the touch for "several hours" after you have powered off seems suspicous to me. I use my Z1 a lot, up to four hours a day, and the top never gets very hot and I doubt it stays hot for long after I turn it off. I'll double check today to confirm this.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wonder of there's a service menu tweak to increase the fan RPM in eco-mode? I'd rather have the thing be louder and have longer bulb life.

FYI, here's the Philips UHP lamp page: Philips UHP

·
Registered
148 Posts
Out of curiousity, what ambient room temps are some of you running? I'm averaging about 66F-69F in an air conditioned basement "bunker" of 18'x30'. My projector is cool to ambient temp within about 30min of being off. I checked on that Saturday after watching a college football game, two movies and a pro baseball game. So about 11 hours or so (it felt good to just vegitate for a day).

I only run low output, I can't tell much of a difference between high and low other than the noise (DaLite HCCV 110"). I perceive better blacks at low power anyway. I have watched 410hrs in 4 months. I'm not too worried about bulb life because I have 3 spares at this time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We've had a heatwave lately so my ambient has been as high as 83. I found the service mode settings for fan speed on the yahoo Z1 group, so I'm going to tweak up the fan speed a bit.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
my room is like 22 degrees celsius. possibly less since it is in the basement (thermostat is set at 24 C) and my home theater room has killer insulation so it stays cold.:)

All throughout the summer I needed to have a blanket down there because it was so cold.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ambient temp in the room is around 76F at this time of year. Humidity

can be moderately high.

For the last couple of nights, after the projector had been running for a couple of hours, I turned on a fan to move air around. With the airflow not impinging directly on the projector it cooled down much faster.

I'm really starting to suspect that the lamp overheats after the unit is turned off and it finishes its short fan sequence on power down. I wonder if there is a setting to increase this time, or simply have the fans always running when power is on.

Since I got such short life out of the first lamp, I had been turning the unit off if I wasn't going to be watching it for a couple of hours. I read in another post that the temperature of the lamp when it reignites is a key factor in longevity. I wonder if shutting it off and turning it on again a few hours later actually made things worse.

I also noticed that if I leave the rear power switch on, the unit is warm, not hot, to touch (on the top just above the up arrow button) the next day, as though something is still running. Do toher notice this as well? Or do you not leave the power switch on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I Always switch off the button on the back, because i have noticed a couple of times that the unit is warm several hours after switching off (next morning).

Since your projector is on a coffee table as well, you could try that. You will notice that the unit cools down very quicly, and stays cool.

Hope this helps

Panos

·
Registered
304 Posts
i think something is wrong with your unit, and you shouldn't be paying for these bulbs.

Mine is never hot to the touch, even during operation. Now, I'm not talking about the vents, yeah those are hella hot, but the housing of the projector will be warm, but by no means uncomfortable to have your hand on.

On mine, once I've powered it off, and it's fans have quit, I've never noticed excessive heat on the housing... in fact after it's been off and the fans have quit, I'd say within 15 minutes or so the only way I could tell it was on previously would be to put my hand directly on the vents to feel for any heat.

As I understand it, there are around 5 fans inside that unit. (we only see one from the outside). I think one of your internal fans has failed, and is not cooling the bulb properly. The strange things is, there is a temperature sensor inside that should shut down the unit if it gets too hot.

If this isn't happening, maybe the area/zone getting too hot, isn't close enough to the sensor? In any case, if you already noticed a change in brightness, on a second bulb, something isn't right.

People normally don't notice the brightness of the bulb changing, until they replace it and are "wowed" by the sudden increase in brightness.

I say your unit is Devo, and send it back. IMHO.

Good Luck,

-Jason W

·
Registered
278 Posts
I lowered the fan soft temp A threshold to 33deg and temp B highspeed threshold to 70. The fan is now spun up a little all the time, but not too annoying. I'm hoping this will extend the lamp life a little?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would trade quiet for lamp life personally.

I would also note that I barely got 600 hrs. despite plenty of ventilation, clean fliters, reasonable room temps when the projector was in use.

I am not messing with my fan settings as the fan is on the low speed all the time (always in Economy of the lamp). If another lamp goes too soon, well, I'll definitely have to move the Z1 to the bedroom then where lower use should render the lamp life less important.

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JamesL: how did you set the fan thresholds?

jw15851: I'm afraid you might be right. I hate having to deal with customer service. The unit gets hot enough that it is uncomfortable, almost painful, to touch on the top of the housing (possibly hotter than the vents). I'll measure the temp on the top of the housing tonight.

padams: I normally switch the power off, but that doesn't seem to have much effect on the cool down time.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My top of my Z1 definitely gets quite hot after several hours of use, so you are not alone there.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Has anyone found a bulb for around $250 or less?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technomage
JamesL: how did you set the fan thresholds?
The fan-speed service menu items are described in the yahoo Sanyo Z1 group.

item 60: temp A soft speedup threshold, mine was set at 38, and I lowered it to 33.

item 63: temp B limit for switching to high-speed mode, was 75, and I lowered it to 70.

Here's the Yahoo Z1 Thread .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FWIW, after watching TV for about an hour the temp on top of the housing, roughly above the lamp, was 100F.

About 10 min after power down it was up to 120F.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Since the lamp has been shut off before the fan shuts down, I think the lamp has to continue cooling after the fan shutsdown ( no heat source ), but as the lamp cools it radiates into the chasse raising the temp of housing.

I think if there is a problem, it's the lamps overheating during operation, which brings up the question, when people people have had the lamps go POP! was it during startup, shutdown, or after the lamp has been on for a while?

From looking at the posts where they've exploded, it looks like they bulbs fail after the projector has been on for some time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.