Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I’ve just purchased the Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector which I think is an outstanding projector for the money. I do have few questions that I would greatly appreciate an answer on,

1 Sanyo does not indicate a lamp life. How many hours have you put on the Z-1 before you had to replace a lamp?

2 The first day I got the unit I didn’t have a proper ventilation around the unit and the unit overheated after 3 hours in the Theater mode and shut down by itself. Is there any damage done to the unit or is this a common think on the front projectors. (it works fine today)

3 The back of the unit gets very hot . You can’t keep a finger on it without getting burned, is that normal?

4 Do all of you provide additional cooling to the unit like a fan or not?

5 I hear different stories about the warranty on the Z-1, some say it’s 3 years Sanyo website is 1 year? I had not received any warranty papers with the unit even though it was brand new unit, manufacture sealed.

6 Any known issues on this projector?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
the lamp life shoud be around 2000 hours. maybe 3000 in low lamp mode but 2000 is probably mroe accurate. Sanyo doesn't state lamp life though. I have around 530-550 hours on mine so far. Bought it in december.

the PJ should be OK. I'd guess they implement the auto shut off feature to prevent serious damage from occuring.

yes, it is normal for the back to get very hot.

no additional cooling in my setup. Just have it ceiling mounted so there is good ventilation all around.

My understanding is the warranty is 3 years

only known issues would be ones that are technology based (vertical banding, colour uniformity, motion artifact, etc) but they might not be seen by everyone. The other issue would be the cheap ass air filter on the z1 whihc can cause dust blobs to appear more easily than in other projectors. Not a huge problem but can be a pain if they frequently show up. Good news is dust blobs are easy to get rid of.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
The other issue would be the cheap ass air filter on the z1 whihc can cause dust blobs to appear more easily than in other projectors. Not a huge problem but can be a pain if they frequently show up. Good news is dust blobs are easy to get rid of.
I just got my first dust blob last night. What is the easy way to get rid of them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Remove the 6 screws from the casing. Lift the top cover off - watch the ribbon cable that connects the cover to the rest of the unit - just move the cover to the side. Turn the pj on - you will see three ribbon cables going into three slots (when on - you will see them glow RED, GREEN and BLUE). About an inch or so down you will see two square plates with a small gap between them. I dont know exactly which plate does what, but thats where the LCD panel is. Try shooting in between those panels. De-focus the pj and point it at something white and you will set the dust specs easier.

DON'T USE COMPRESSED AIR! If you tip the can, the propellant might come out and stain the LCD panel. If you leave the can on too long, you'll freeze the LCD panel and you might crack it.

I use "RE-AIR" from comp-usa, its compressed air that you refill with a bike pump. Unfortunately, you got to pump it up a bit to get a good charge, and it usually takes a few pumps to get dust off them LCD panels.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, but hear me out about the lamp hours. The owner’s manual says to replace the lamp immediately when the light for lamp replacement goes on. Now, since there is not absolute rated hours on the lamp how does the unit knows it should be changed. Yes, it counts the hours however it also depends on the dust in the room, humidity, handling, cooling etc., which the machine does not take into account. So you could still have like 500hours left on the lamp even though the unit is telling you to replace. Do you or not?

Also, since I am new to the front projectors does the projector last let’s say as long as a TV set or what is a real life span of these projectors in general? Also how long do the Pj fans last and are they hard to replace?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
you can use compressed air as long as you're careful. but that re-air stuff sounds like a good idea if one is worried about using compressed air.

·
Registered
414 Posts
xallax,

Thanks for the advice on dust removal. I tried de-focusing, and it looks like there is one fiber in there. I have sent an e-mail to studioexperience to see what they advise. I don't want to void my three year warranty for a minor problem.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
So you could still have like 500hours left on the lamp even though the unit is telling you to replace. Do you or not?
Can't you just let it go until it gets too dim to use or burns out?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Maybe you should order one when it tell you to change it,,, then wait for it to fail before really changing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't bothered to read the other posts so sorry if this is a repeat.

1. Unofficaly it would be 2000 hrs normal mode 3000 hours in theartre black mode. Sanyo US don't post it due to legal reasons but other Sanyo sites have i.e. non-US.

2. The self-shutdown is there as a failsafe to prevent damage so I would think the answer to that is no, but i have no previous experience with pj's so i don't know, but technically there should be no damage.

3. Yes it's normal on mine. Too hot to touch.

4. Nope, although it does sit behind my air-con so i guess i have the option. I ran it for 12hours straight when i first got it but now my normal operation consist of a single or double dvd watching.

5. Warranty will be different for each country. You'll only get this info from you local Sanyo dealer. From memory US was 3 years, Canada 1year, Australia 2years.

6. There was the fan spin-up issue fixed in firmware, never had it on mine. Some reports of dust blobs but thats a genera pj issue. Maybe the Z1 is more susceptible to it i don't know.

Cheers,

Rorschach

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Dear Dust Blobs,

I have not had any yet on either of my 1HD's.

I just wanted to let you know I am making an HUSH BOX but just for filter'd reasons. As for the heat on the back of it, I am making an ported vent that the heat will come out off. As for dust...there will be none. I promise that!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Shift, do you want to share your hush-box design? I, too, am building one, but am trying to attenuate noise as well as dust.

Mark

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
All,

I have not yet to see dust blobs on mine (knock on wood). But we know its coming through the filter. Now what IF you can spray an oil on the filter so the dust sticks to it and not go through the filter?

Kinda like an K&N filter and when you do the recharge kit. It basically does the same to where if dirt on te K&N and it will not allow for it to go to the TB (throttle body),, I mean it can,, but your talking full force of air always suckin through the filter. I think this idea can work. Just think about it? Any opinions?

Since Yet I have NOT torn apart my 1HD I assume the filter is made of some fabric material?

Rugo,

I am just getting the specs on it. All I can say at this time is I plan to do the K&N filter recharge kit idea,,,, basically the hush box will be all pexiglass material with filters around it except for the back which will have a ported vent that the hot air from the rear fan will come out off.

basically all DUST will be on the filter around the PJ and not inside the box where the PJ is.

I'll post pics once I get it more completed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.